Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Is this the end of Cox product engines?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Is this the end of Cox product engines?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 06:09 AM
longdan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the end of Cox product engines?

[link=http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=008901]Have a look at this[/link]

I heard that these latest .049 Sure Starts were made from left over psrts. Now that they are out of stock, will there be any more?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is this the end of Cox product engines?

They have been Out of Stock a couple of times. Keep an eye on their site - they may batch out a few more.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 AM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What happened to the deal where CS bought the tooling and the rights and was readying a Baby Bee knock off for sale?

The last "new" Cox I bought on the internet had a very old fashioned looking cast base metal crankcase with several reinforcing strakes on each side. Anybody run one of those yet? It's NIB (new in bag) here. On the better side, I snagged the last two real Cox engines out of the glass case at the LHS early last Fall: a short tank Baby Bee and one of the long tank .049s vented for inverted flight. Something to bring my boy into the sport in the next couple of years.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:07 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lildiesel

What happened to the deal where CS bought the tooling and the rights and was readying a Baby Bee knock off for sale?

The last "new" Cox I bought on the internet had a very old fashioned looking cast base metal crankcase with several reinforcing strakes on each side. Anybody run one of those yet? It's NIB (new in bag) here. On the better side, I snagged the last two real Cox engines out of the glass case at the LHS early last Fall: a short tank Baby Bee and one of the long tank .049s vented for inverted flight. Something to bring my boy into the sport in the next couple of years.
I'm really not sure on this, but I think,,that was a load and that cox/estes still has the tooling in colorado....Rog
Old 10-19-2007, 12:27 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

We must all be in denial. Sadly we need to face the fact that the days of small engines are finito. But there's enough engines out there that I don't foresee any issues with having enough engines to go around for at least the next generation.
Old 10-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

" We must all be in denial"..

In a country where they are given awards for stating things that amount to saying that a person breathing is destroying the planet, says a lot.

A little denial is healthy.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
tri-pacer

You mean to tell me you haven't bought your "carbon credits" to offset your breathing?? Like PT said: "There's a sucker born every minute!"

As for the engines, I agree with Bruce in that there will be plenty around for generations to come. If you don't believe me, just take a look at ignition engines: You can still find them NIB on Ebay, with plenty parts available. There are even people still making new engines! Remember, we still live in a country that embraces capitalism (for how long is anyone's guess) but for now, as long as there's someone who wants to buy it, there will be someone out there making it.

chuck
Old 10-19-2007, 08:51 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

tri-pacer, how did you know I say that all the time?! The enormous number of Cox engines is depressing the new 1/2a engine market to a large degree. When you search on ebay for Cox engines and find less than a dozen, there will be someone making new engines. Bet you a dollar to a doughnut.

For the SS's, Estes will continue to assemble them when they get enough backorders to make it profitable and assuming they have time. It is unlikely we'll realize there really gone until they've been gone for a while.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 PM
Remby

Tri-Pacer;

Nothing says denial better than a Non carbon offset credits Cox Engine!
Old 10-20-2007, 12:52 AM
tri-pacer

Hey PT,

Actually I was refering to PT Barnum, but hey, I'm glad to here that some people still undersdand the phrase, let alone use it! As for your take on 1/2a, your dead on right! Nothing to loose sleep over!

And Remby, I with ya: Carbon positive 1/2a all the way!!

Chuck
Old 10-21-2007, 01:42 AM
Remby

These Cox 1/2a engines are one of the best to fly with, as far as protecting the planet. Castor oil is a natural bean oil, and the fuel burns very clean, mostly water vapor is the aftermath of combustion.

I do try and protect the planet, have for years, and will continue to do so.

I even read/heard that cows chewing grass and making personal little" bulls-eyes" is wrecking the world, it's these and like minded ideas that I find to have little value.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:25 AM
tri-pacer

[quote]ORIGINAL: Remby

"Castor oil is a natural bean oil, and the fuel burns very clean, mostly water vapor is the aftermath of combustion."

Very interesting about the water vapor and the 1/2a fuel: Learn something new every day! But polution aside, I think the "instant gratification society" that we live in is driving the demise of all glow engines. Let's face it, people don't want to be bothered building and airplane, let alone maintaining an engine! One of the main reasons I still build (mostly from scratch), is that it forces me to slow down and appreciate the great hobby I'm in. And let me tell ya, with an 11 year old daughter, that's involved in every sport know to man, sometimes it aint easy!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Remby

Can't get less aftermath that using a small Cox engine, even during production of these engines energy must be used, and that "cause and effect" thing comes into play.

Electric motors take just as much, if not more energy to produce the motor, along with the bad chemicals needed for the larger batterys to run them. The charging can cause more enviromental impact over time.

ARFs are many times plastic, that has it's own issues.

Smaller is better for the planet, that is a given. 1/2a is a leader in this cause to protect the planet.

Nice your daughter enjoys your hobby with you.