Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Covering, hinges and pins? What order?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Covering, hinges and pins? What order?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 AM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Covering, hinges and pins? What order?

Hi All, Just wondering what order you do these in when building. Also, years ago, we used to drill a small hole through the covering, wood and through the hinge then put a drop of CA, then hurry and take a round tooth pick and pin the hinge and break it off. But when you do that it is kind of unsightly where your break off the tooth pick. But if you pin the hinge then put the covering on its hard getting the covering around and through the hinge area. Some guys in the club don't pin their hinges. They cover everything, then just add thick CA or epoxy to the hinge area.
What order do you guys do this. Do you pin your hinges?
Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 AM
digital_trucker

Default RE: Covering, hinges and pins? What order?

I avoid the entire issue by either using Monokote hinges (nigh onto indestructible when done properly) or using Robart hinge points.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:28 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Terry, I like to hinge the parts first, then cover the whole works. If building a 3D model, then hinge after covering for maximum freedom of movement. CA hinges work well without pinning if you work them into a tight slit. On bigger, faster planes I pin the CA hinges with round toothpicks and razor saw them flush with the surface.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:58 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I always cover first. Or if the model requires I'll cover the hinge area with a sealing strip around the hinge area and slightly onto the upper and lower sides and then hinge and finally cover the overall surfaces with the usual pieces so that there's a good size overlap. Some lacquer thinner to wipe down the hinge strip cover area before applying the overlaping large pieces helps the overlap stay good and tight for a long time vs trying to stick to finger greases and any other contaminants. I also get less or no lifting on the other overlapping joints since I started doing this a few models back.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:20 PM
tewitt1949

dt, what do you mean by monocoat hinges? I found the robart and dubro hinges but if they are the ones your talking about you have to drill a 1/8"hole. If your using 1/8 think balsa then those woun't work. Terry