Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel tankmount?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 11:10 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel tankmount?

Has anyone used one? I just picked two up, the seem to have a fixed pickup , but the have a neat pressure release button. It seem as though you can't put one in a cowl and be able to fuel it too.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:51 AM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got one, but I've never used it. Too cumbersome.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 AM
prole
My Feedback: (3)

I've got one too.

I got it for my powered glider because I was originally going to try a Norvel in it. I had a tough time with it and wound up using a Cox TD with the Cox version of that tank mount. The Cox one works much better, the only thing that the Norvel has on the Cox one is that it is clear. Which is nice.

I had a tough time running the tank dry, it would conk out with about 3/16" on the bottom of the tank, and with a tiny volume like that, that little bit makes a difference.

Also it's kind of awkward to fill it, if you fill it through the vent, the fuel line would pop off the engine and run out of there. If you fill it through the engine feed it would just go straight out the vent. You have to tip it back 90* and fill it through the vent with the engine feed disconnected and even that way you still can't fill it up all the way.

...or maybe I was just doing it wrong, which wouldn't be that suprising, but I tried everything I could think of.

I never tried a cowl, but I can't think of any way that would work either...

they look kinda cool though

the prole
Old 04-11-2003, 01:39 AM
soarrich

Did your's have the little spring mounted vent button?
Old 04-11-2003, 01:46 AM
prole

yeah, but it didn't seem to matter what position it was in, I thought that is was to prime the engine, I would pump it and for some reason I was convinced that it was pushing fuel into the engine.

see what I mean about me probably being wrong.

there are two position on that thing right? Up and locked down if you push it down and twist it. It didn't seem to let air out in either position. That's why I thought it was a pump.

what does yours(ours) do???

t
Old 04-11-2003, 01:59 AM
soarrich

Don't know I haven't put fuel in it yet. I'm got to write Norvel and ask what it is, I though they just forgot to put the paper in that explained it.
Old 04-11-2003, 02:15 AM
Dsegal

Go to http://www.norvel.com/ and click on Tech Info and then on FAQ. It says that you just press the button to vent the tank so it can be filled.

Dave Segal
Old 04-11-2003, 02:49 AM
soarrich

Thanks, I went to the site, looked up the tank mount, but their picture doesn't even show the button. I didn't think to look at the FAQs, so I emailed them. I thought it was to vent the tank while filling, but wasn't sure. Their setup makes it hard to use in a cowl though.
Old 04-11-2003, 09:33 AM
skypupmut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go back to the site and check the TIL ( technical information libray ry )
it has a trouble shooting problem with fuel tank answer how to do it and why
Have a nice day
Old 04-11-2003, 11:22 AM
Scully

Default Some experience

I have 3 of these.
The button is the pressure releive (spelling?) to fill it up. It does not always work though.
Two of mine are just fine - press the button, fill through the pressure tube (one at the top) and valve lets the air out just fine - so fuel is not pushed into the engine.

The valve on the third one is not working though- press it, start filling up and most pf the fuels is pushed to the engine (I disconnect muffler pressure normally connected to the top tube and fill through it). It took me a while to realize this one was floodiong the engine badly when my Norvel was brand new - you see - one can't move it through the TDC when new slowly anyway - it locks up very easily. So one is haveing difficulty detecting flooding.

Suggestion - to be on the safe side (so u don't flood the engine) I always use a small clamp to stop fuel entering engine on the engine tube and then pressure releive opens when I press fuel in a bit harder.

And make sure you are using muffler pressure - Norvel runs much better with it. With muffler pressure I usually have needle at around 1.5 -max 2 turns open.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:47 AM
soarrich

Thanks guys.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:17 PM
prole

Thanks Skully,

that makes me feel a little better.

It's wierd how a company that has such consistently great engines can have such spotty acessories. Of the 6 or so Freedom glow plugs I've gotten probably half didn't even come with a gasket, and of the three that did two were so mangled (not necessarliy Norvel's fault, but could be packaged better, like the Cox ones) that they were barely usable.

Am I just really unlucky?....

Is this the Coxist Gods telling me to stick to my own kind ?...

I'm no racist, I love all 1/2a, I mean heck I use Norvel (Still made by Wildcat???) fuel in my Cox's all the time, it's my favorite.

has anybody else gotten the shaft on their Novel acessories? Or is it just me

the unlucky prole
Old 04-11-2003, 03:02 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

I too have had the experience where Norvel does some things great,,, and others not so. I appears that they are not modelers. They just think of an idea and go with it. Neat idea the tank mount and ingenious but if it don't work,,,,

If you check the latest issue of Flying Models, you'll see a bad picture (my fault) of a hybrid engine I did up that includes a tankmount. It has the option of two or three lines. Two lines and you fill up using the fuel line. Three line and you use the vent line to fill up. This line is then plugged with a small screw. Overflow is into the muffler, as usual.

Fuel pick up is with a true clunk. The set up works great. Only issue is fuel foaming from vibration. On the bench, fuel foaming is evident. In the air, it seems not to be a problem. If any manufacturer were interested, I'd bet we could come up with a great tank mount. They'd have to modify their engine though.

A show of hands. Say you could buy an engine that had the mount and tank included for just, say, 20 dollars more than what you pay now. Would that be worth it? You save the cost of tank and mount,,, say 10 dollars. The extra 10 dollars pays for a neat, simple, compact, fuel delivery system that works and is trouble free.

The downside is that you need to make a neat, crisp, accurate hole in just the right place in your firewall. Also, thrust adjustments using shims will be difficult but these things also apply to any tankmount.

The picture is shown in Randy Randolphs column.