Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

074....what fuel to use?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

074....what fuel to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 03:01 AM
imsofaman
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 074....what fuel to use?

With a Norvell 074 .....what is the best fuel to run in that engine? I have heard that I could use 15% nitro glow fuel that I run my larger engines with. But I very leery of that. I think my friend who told me that is mistaken. I am getting ready to build an Ace Simple series P-51 Mustang and would like to break in the motor correctly and not damage it with the wrong fuel. Some guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-27-2003, 12:00 PM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run 15% in mine, is fine; BUT make sure on oil content! 16% oil is not enough. I had been using sig, which is 20% oil, 1/2 castor. never a problem, used it on all but my 061's, which liked high nitro. Been using omega for the last month, I beleive it is only 17-18 % oil, seems ok so far, has castor. but again, no problems w/ sig.
Old 03-27-2003, 01:05 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

I will second that, Fred. You are correct; Omega is 17% oil (I called Morgan to check once). Omega is one of the fuels Norvel recommends. I think Powermaster is also recommended. I have also used Wildcat premium and premium x-tra. If you use premium add about 4 oz. of oil (castor or synthetic) to it cause it's only 16%. Premium x-tra however is 18% oil and a good bit of that is castor. Of course there is always Norvel's own fuel. I've never used it.

On nitro content, most people say to use high nitro. However, I have used as little as 10% and had good success. In fact, I have a Thunder Tiger 07 that actually runs better on 10%. I doesn't have any power, but it runs good. My norvel 061s run real good on 10% and 15% nitro.

The bottom line is you're not likely to hurt anything as long as you don't run it lean and use plenty of oil. If you're still worried about it you could call Norvel and ask them what they recommend.

Now that I have bored you to tears I will leave you to your experimentation.
Old 03-27-2003, 07:20 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I fun 25% nitro with 20% all synthetic. Runs GREAT in every Norvel I have, from .049 through .25. The 20% oil is big plus!!! I would think that 15% nitro will do ok, but 20% up to 30% will do even better.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:18 AM
wild fred

I use higher nitro in the 061's (35%) because they like it, but the 15% does just fine in everything else, from the 074-15-25 norvels up through the four strokes and stuff that I have. I mostly don't want to use several fuels, found 15%fine. wildcat used to make the nvx fuel (I've been there), I don't know if they still do. I prefer sig, as it is a full 20%, 1/2 castor, 1/2 klotz, and talked to their fuel man, he's been mixing it for them for 20 years. that carried a lot of weight with me, but is hard to get here. omega has been fine so far, have been running omega 30% heli in the f104 and 15% in others, will let you know if I cook anything! But if you can get sig champion, It is the best (in my opinion, anyway; fuel preference is like break in methods!!!)
Old 03-28-2003, 11:26 PM
imsofaman

Wow.....you guys really know your fuels. I will have to figure out what I need and if it available in my local hobby store. I have power master 20% nitro for my four stroke......will that work?
Old 03-29-2003, 01:48 AM
wild fred

probably, powermaster is good stuff. the 4-stroke might be all synthetic, and I am a beleiver in castor, although a lot of people don't. check out their website, and see. I beleive they are 18% oil.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:55 AM
wild fred

wait- I just checked out their website, www.powermasterfuels.com It says their 4-stroke only has 15% oil! don't use that!!!! their others with 18% oil will be fine, I would get their sport 15% nitro, 18% oil for the 074.
Old 03-29-2003, 10:37 PM
imsofaman

You guys have been awesome! A lot of info out there and thanks so much for sharing. I think I got the correct fuel......Norvel Special Blend NVK 25 ( 25% nitro, 18% oil ). So how did I do? I do have two more questions. #1 Will this fuel attack foam? Of course I will be building my Ace P-51 Mustang with a foam wing, but I also have an Electrajet with a .061 monted on the rear with a pusher prop. Will this fuel eat the foam? A few have told me that I would be OK. Once again very leery of bad info. I would hate to have that thing in the air and motor flys off! What do you all think? #2 My last question........ will my Wasp 061 have more or less power that a geared 3to1 380 motor? The geared 380 is what comes on the Electrajet. I thought it would be cool to have a longer flight than seven minutes. Any ideas?:spinnyeye
Old 03-30-2003, 02:27 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I have an 074 on a scratch built Hornet. I use Wildcat 25% 1/2 n 1/2 caster/synthetic and I get plenty of power to swing a 8x3 prop. On a calm day(due to the lightness of the plane) I can run with the 80-90 mph 46 size extras and caps that fly at my field. I have a reliable idle so low I can bunp the cone with my finger tips to kill the motor and not worry about getting the fingers bit.

I broke the engine in with a quart of the Norvell 25% fuel like they recomend and had good success with that fuel as well, just too costly to buy by the quart.

Paulbo
Old 03-30-2003, 04:53 PM
wild fred

it has more power, but the geared has pretty good thrust. The time I put the pusher 061 in the global mirage convinced me; it was a ROCKET w/ the 061, but was only an adequate performer on d.d. 380.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:00 AM
ZB50

I get a better idle and of course better top end with 25% Sig or Omega. My club gets 15% Blue something (supposed to be black market omega) and it runs good with it but you can surely tell the difference between it and the 25%.

I had some Norvel 25 and 15 (Ran Great and pleasent smell), but it was too dang expensive. I now know that it used to be mixed by wildcat fuels. They will sell it direct to you much cheaper (wildcat) than what I paid for the norvel fuel. Now I hear sig has labeled it and I can't comment on what it costs. It seems to me that the last pint of Sig 25% cost me about $11.00 or so. That is very close to what I pay for the mystery fuel. (Per gallon)

ZB
Old 03-31-2003, 02:40 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

25% NITRO WITH 20% OIL WILL WORK ON EVERYTHING FROM .049 THRU THE .25. TRUST ME ON THIS.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:05 PM
imsofaman

Will somebody let me know if this type of glow fuel will eat foam???? I am putting an .061 on an Electrajet. Please respond if you have any info.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:05 AM
fireman7875

I think you'll be fine. I believe the electrajet is made of white foam which is the same as say, an Ace foam wing. I know for a fact that they are fuel proof. I imagine there are some non-fuel-proof foams out there but that isn't it. The only thing I can see that may be a problem is the pores between the cells. The exhaust and oil will likely get in there and you won't be able to clean it. That will also add a slight amount of weight. Good luck; let us know how that electrajet flies with the 061.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:19 AM
imsofaman

Maybe I will paint it first...... to close the pores. I am thinking a tiger stripe pattern. Bengal tiger on the top and Siberian tiger on the bottom.
I am still in progress of finishing a Speedy Bee. I tackle one project at a time. The .061 is already mounted on the Electrajet, just need to add the electronics. I will let you all know how it flys. Maybe not in this particular thread, but when the time comes, I will start a new one. Oh...by the way, a guy at my club had a Sky Skooter that has a .072 on it. It flys pretty good, that much power it is at the edge of that plane's flying enevelope if you know what I mean. In a dive, it looks squirelly or unstable. I also heard...but have not seen....a guy here in NJ put a 049 on a GWS Tiger Moth. Wonder how long that plane lasted? I would imagine.....not very!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:32 AM
Japanman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would just seal the wings two inches either side of the fusalage.
I have built several 1/2A planes from white foam(expanded polystyrene beads.. the same as used in lots of foam things -cups etc.. its cheap.. it also has a problem of the gaps between the expanded beads, meaning it can absorb fuel and oil.
I have simply covered the foam with mylar or similar packing tape. it works very well and adds a lot of tensional strength. It is also made in a range of colours... yes it makes for very speedy construction, and frankly almost indestructible planes!
Best of luck.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:11 PM
imsofaman

Will Testors spray paint react to the fuel? I know Testors is safe with my plane, I have painted one before. Or should I use a acrylic paint? Anyone have info?
Old 04-07-2003, 01:52 PM
fireman7875

Check very carefully on the paint. Most paints do attack white foam. Polyurethane enamels are compatible such as Pactra Formula U. Also anything water based will work. I have used latex house paint with good success. The latex however is not fuel proof so you should coat it with clear polyurethane after painting. It works well. Furthermore, the testors paint is not fuel proof unless there is a different type that I'm unaware of. The acrylic depends on what type you are refering to. Acrylic laquer or enamel, such as car paint, will attack the foam. The acrylic that people use for painting pictures and pilot figures and such I would think are compatible with foam, however probably aren't fuel proof. I hope this helps.
Old 04-07-2003, 03:30 PM
imsofaman

What about this......paint it with the testors spray and brush paint....then coat with 15 minute epoxy resin thinned out with alcohol? Do you think that would work?
Old 04-07-2003, 04:13 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Wild Fred,

What is the Global Mirage? I have been wanting to do a 062-074 pusher. I was thinking of using that foam electric canard they sell, the Firebat I think. Just swap the electric for the gas. But if the Mirage was a rocket that sounds awesome.

Paulbo
Old 04-07-2003, 05:24 PM
imsofaman

Wattage has a F-22 Raptor that looks sweet! I would like to see that in gas! You Mirage would be much better that that ugly Firebat! The Mirage is much more streamlined and I think would rip up the sky!!!! Do a search for Wattage on the upper right hand on this page. A guy talks about his Mirage a little. You should contact him.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:59 PM
fireman7875

I don't know. It has been my experience that epoxy applied thin to a non-porous surface (such as a painted surface) has a tendency to crack due to its brittleness. This would be even more possible if it is impacted at all. I think after a while it begin to flake off. Additionally, epoxy also starts to yellow somewhat. If you can find some other clear coat that would be compatible over the Testors that would be the ticket. There are so many different colors of testors it would be nice to be able to use it. Not knowing what type of enamel testors is, I couldn't say what would be a suitable clear coat. I do know that it isn't fuel proof.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:38 PM
imsofaman

I think I found what I was looking for guys...... it is Black Baron clearcoat. It is a spray can, is fuel proof and will not attack foam!!!!! Hurray! Thanks for everyones help with my questions.

Dave
Old 04-09-2003, 08:19 PM
breeza

I use rust-oleum paint on my foam planes. Comes in a variety of colors and is fuel proof to 20% nitro. Except for the silver which is not at all fuel proof. Use in spray can or mix your own and use a airbrush to create a custom color. Use light coats of paint maybe two or three coats and built up the color, this does not add much weight. Very easy and quick to use with a nice gloss.

Biker

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.