Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Thunder Tiger .07

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 09:37 PM
xtratorque

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thunder Tiger .07

I was thinking about putting a Thunder Tiger .07GP in a Herr Cessna 180. I was wondering what size tank I should put in the Cessna in oder to make it fly for a sustained period of time. I'm think 20 minutes or around there. In case you're wondering why I'm thinking of this engine, it's because I'm going to be flying this plane in a very windy location and in case the winds pick up I want to be able to get the thing back.
Old 03-27-2003, 09:54 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

I would go with the Norvel, just because I think it has more power, but as for the tank, as much as you can get in there. I would think a 4oz would do ya, unless you plan to burn holes in the sky. Test run it on a bench to get a good idea of how much it will take to make it run at 1/2 throttle for 20 minutes. I have been known to put a 4oz up front and a 2oz on the cg to give myself enough fuel for a duration contest. It's easy to do, you just have to make room for everything.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:08 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

a hayes 3 oz. fits fine in the starcruiser, gives 20 min. + on a norvel 074. t.t. a little less, but should still be about 20 min. That'd be my choice.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:38 AM
goldguy

I have 2 TT .07 and although not as powerful as the Norvel, they are a jewel as far as quality of fit and finish. The throttle operation is far superior to the Norvel and they don't need some funky break in method. I presently have one on a 225 sq. in., 22 ounce parsol that flies it with authority and with a 2 ounce Hayes tank I get approximately 15 minutes.

Yes, the Norvel is a ripper, but not all models the power of a 10 to fly great.

So, if that's what you have, the TT .07, go with it and have fun with a great little motor.
Old 03-28-2003, 12:40 PM
wild fred

I agree, I would go w/ the norvel over the t.t. if buying new, but I have a lot of norvels. But that's me. maybe I'm biased? The t.t. is a fine engine, however, and will pull the cessna just fine. so don't worry if that's what you have, use it! but be careful of the needle valve, they break off on the t.t. easy.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:19 AM
pdansalvish
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

xtratorque

How did you get your Cessna 180? I have mine on back order for months from Tower.

Dave
Old 03-29-2003, 11:56 AM
wild fred

weelll... you might call sig, as they are the herr distributor! Tower, although large, isn't the only game in town, you know!