"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

A Little Help Please

Old 03-29-2003, 06:08 AM
skimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default A Little Help Please

I recently took out an HS-81 servo of mine to test it out for a new airplane, When I hooked the servo up the the receiver and turned everything on it worked but it moves verrrry slow. I know that my battery is charged up and the receiver is brand new. When I took this servo out of a plane about 6 months ago it worked fine and hasn't been used since then. Does anyone know what could be wrong because I have no idea.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:56 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default slow servo...

Try connecting the servo to other channel slots in the same receiver to see if it fixes the problem. You can also try connecting
the battery to different slots. The receiver is what you are checking by doing this. Or you can just try the servo in a different
receiver. If it does the same thing, it's the servo. If it fixes the problem, it was more than likely the first receiver.
Old 03-30-2003, 05:40 AM
skimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have tried different receivers and nothing else happens, I believe the problem is in the servo but I dont know what it could be. As I said, it came out of a functioning plane and now it doesnt work as well as it did. Is there ways to repair it or should I just replace it?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:55 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

did you try a drop of light oil on the shaft?, if it sat it may just need to be worked around some.......just a thought ,,.. Rog

oh, I dont have one, but if your radio is computerized could it be on low rate?
Old 03-30-2003, 05:58 AM
whstlngdeath
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default fix or replace?

On the Hitec servos, the only replaceable parts I've seen are the
gears. The instruction sheet that came with mine has some basic
maintenance instructions. You can open up the case and check the gears for broken teeth or broken gears. You can remove the gear sets and spray the potentiometer with a TV tuner cleaner spray. The potentiometer may be dirty and the spray might restore it. The gears are lubed with a "servo grease" that Hitec
sells. Tower hobbies has it for $4.29. Part number is LXN741.
Maybe the gears just went dry and need a relube with the grease.
Let me know how it goes, as I have some of these same servos and might need to do some maintenance of my own.

Jesse
Old 03-30-2003, 02:46 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Servo Speed....

Chase,

Servo speed has a lot to do with voltage. Are you sure the battery is up to snuff? Do you have another servo you can exchange to see if they both behave the same or, one does operate slower than the other? If that doesn't help, try to loosen the case screws and move the top around a bit, may be binding.. If you still can't get it going, send it back to Hitec. The charge will be nominal if at all. Hitec is the best in terms of servicing their equipment, They will take good care of you.....Rgds, Jeff
Old 03-30-2003, 05:11 PM
LoneRanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hitec is top notch for servicing stuff~!

never seen a better company-

L.R.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:33 PM
fastlash
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default servo

If you are using a switch to check it, hook the servo and battery direct and try that,( no switch) did you store the servo in a damp place??
Old 03-30-2003, 06:58 PM
BMatthews

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You "know your battery is charged up and good"? Did you check the voltage while operating the receiver and servo? If not then you can't assume anything. The pack may have just decided to murder one of the cells and is now running low.

You can check this quickly by operating the servo while you carefully probe the red and black receiver pins of an adjacent channel output. Or a safer and handier way is to use a spare servo connector lead and bare the red and black wires for connecting to the meter probes.

I was waiting to see if anyone else had any other info because the ONLY time I've ever seen a servo operate smoothly but slowly is when the voltage level was low. But your claim that the pack is good confused me until I realized that you may have been taking it's condition on faith.
Old 03-31-2003, 05:16 AM
skimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am pretty sure the bat is ok, because I had just charged it, then I plugged my servo in. The servo was slow but the three other servos that I plugged in worked good enough for me to go fly. So I don't think the problem is with batteries, its not the case screws too tight and no gears are broken. I may try a drop of oil on the shaft but don't know if it will help. About storing it with moisture, I don't know, I just stored it in my room. It was working when it went into storage and now it no longer works. Thanks for all the advise, i'll keep you posted.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:33 PM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a lot of hitec servos (in all sizes) but a lot of the HS 80 and newer HS 81's. I have had at least 3 of them fail for no reason, in a plane. One last fall in my lazy bee, it went hard over (on my elevator) and stuck full down. Luckily my bee' went into the soft snow and was unhurt. That was an HS80. I dont think I have had any problems with the HS81's yet, and will continue to use them.

Sometimes, after the winter storage, I notice some servos slower and jittery than they were before the flying season ended. SOmetimes they just need to be usd a bit before coming back, but sometimes they just get worse and I end up replacing them. I think if a servo was "on the way out" before you packed it away for the winter, the long storage must not help matters. Anyway, I cant say exactly what the problem is, just that it has happened to me more than once. (by the way my storage and our winters here are extrememly dry).

Andrew
Old 04-02-2003, 10:10 PM
AndyW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

In the good old days, we routinely had to service servos. This usually had to do with dirty servo pots or dirty brushes and commutators in the motors. There's spray contact cleaner available at Radio Shack that we would spray into the motors through small holes in the side of the motor case. Some guys used WD40. The pots needed to be taken out, and cleaned and a bit of spray applied. This usually worked to revive a slow servo.

Sometimes the brass bushing in the servo motor would be worn to the point that the motor would squeal when up to speed. Using the head of a pin, a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil on each busing would do the trick.

Haven't had to do any of that in ages though.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:32 PM
2fast4u
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Last year I was setting up my 1/2A Shrike. I tested the 2 servos and all was well. I set everything up, then unpluged everything from the Rx. When I routed the wires, and hooked everything back up, the ELEV servo was dead as a hammer!!! I'm talking 4 minutes later. One minute it was quick and strong, the next minute it was totally dead!!!! STRANGE things happen. It was a CIRRUS (sp?) servo, and they replaced it for me.

Best advise.....replace it and move on. Pease of mind is worth the cost of the new servo for sure. Just my 2 cents worth.

2FAST4U
Old 04-02-2003, 10:46 PM
AndyW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Agreed about just replace the servo, 'specially at today's prices. In the late sixties, servos cost 40 bucks. In today's money that's about 120 dollars and they weren't digital or nuthin. God, I remember my first car, a 1970 Datsun wagon at 2,700 dollars. Today, 27,000.
Old 04-03-2003, 12:06 AM
skimmer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for all the help guys, I gues this servo is just dead so I think i'll get a new one. Thanks again.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:10 AM
LoneRanger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

send me your bad servo,

LoneRanger