Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

049 throttle sleeve ?

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

049 throttle sleeve ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:30 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 049 throttle sleeve ?

well us newbies sure got a lot of questions!
I have an old car 049 in the junk box don't even remember where its from but it has a throttle sleeve that should fit on a sure start.
Is it worth foolin with though? I suspect it would cut power some but I have no clue how much.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 049 throttle sleeve ?

OzMo,

Do you have a picture of your throttle sleeve?

I have used the Ace type throttle sleeves and they work great - low idle to full throttle.

The Cox exhaust / throttle combination will cause more of a loss of power (I would think).

Brian
Old 11-08-2007, 10:27 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

OzMo, the throttle ring does not reduce power if used properly! You'll be surprised how far closed it has to be to have any effect. The SS cylinders probably won't work with the sleeve, but you can simply move the piston/cylinder over to the SS crankcase and have a throttled engine. Check inside to make sure it's a double bypass cylinder or you will lose power.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM
OzMo

Here is my .049 colection. with a pic of the clunker with the throttle sleeve.

the cylinder has one big slot each side. it has reasonable compresion but an obvious slop with rotation of the flywheel.
I was wondering if the TD cyl/piston/ throttle sleeve /SS case would be a workable mix? possibly equal to a black widow with throttle or just a nightmare looking for a place to happen?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14536.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	799818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc91914.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	799819  
Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe that the sleeves need to go onto the cylinders that have the ground finish around the exhaust ports.

Also that engine with the red part is a TeeDee 051. So for starters you'd need to replace both the cylinder as well as the piston. The .051 pistons have a small groove around the base of the skirt so you know they are the 051 "oversized" ones and won't fit into a regular 049 cylinder. Also the SS cylinder doesn't have as nice a porting so you'll loose some power compared to the TeeDee cylinder.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:49 PM
ptulmer

The TD cylinder will offer equal or better power than the SS, but if that TD is good and you remove the cylinder I will travel to Ozark just to kick you in the shins. Besides, the outside of the cylinder would still likely need to be machined for the throttle sleeve to fit. If the car engine cylinder has two bypass ports (seen from inside) it is the same as the SS cylinder. Swapping parts around is a time honored tradition with Cox engines. (But TD's are d*mn expensive to do that with)

BTW, check your piston/rod ball joint for excessive play. You might need to reset the ball joint!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:34 PM
OzMo

Hey I have shin guards and I'm not afraid to use 'em!
Well I have 2 TDs .049 and .051. the red one has carb issues but I have PT's rings so I will attempt to fix before I cannibalize anything. There is good reason to keep the one for parts for the other any way. So I 'll just keep the TDs separate. I may use the throttle cyl /piston on a Sure Start though.
I framed up the SHure Shark wings last night and used 1/2" dihedral total or 1/2 of what the plans call for but I think the difference will be minimal if noticeable at all. I'm gonna make it yellow and snarf up the gill treatment already seen in the SS Post. ? Lemmon Shark?
I'd post a pic of the wings but they look just like ...wings!
Old 11-09-2007, 08:45 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

OzMo, the throttle ring does not reduce power if used properly! You'll be surprised how far closed it has to be to have any effect.

Oz...you'll see this if you go ahead and mount the engine with the ring on it...once its opened aobut 1/8 of in inch it is wide open...its more of an on/off thing than a throttle, and probably the only time you'd want it closed is if your nosing in anyway....they are just generally not worth the bother or the extra servo.....but I'm sure your curious enough to try it anyway.......Rog
Old 11-10-2007, 10:31 PM
OzMo

well I was kind of wondering how effective it would be. However I've been knocking together models long enough to know to defer to experience. I read it would slow it down to around half speed but that was all so I wasn't dead set on doing it. I would have to swap piston / cylinders and that old motor is VERY suspect as to its condition. Thanks though it was fun to consider it.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:13 AM
ptulmer

OzMo, the reduced performance sounds typical of the Cox throttle sleeve/muffler like they put on the Dragonfly. If Cox and muffler is used in the same sentence, RUN! For the piston/ cylinder condition, if it was ran with castor based fuel, use it. Cox tested an engine once for 300+ hours with no visible wear. If it's suspect, do the leakdown test.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:17 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the run it with nitro or going over in oil?
Old 11-11-2007, 09:15 PM
OzMo

I haven't run one of these yet the one with the sleve is ported like a TD or Black Widow and has some compression. it was purchased in a box o crap if I recall and I oiled it up good before I tossed it in a box. My TDs are castor run and have little time on em. I couldn't fly for spit then and one had a rough life on the nose of a joy stick that I rebuilt MANY times. the other lofted my gentle lady and she treated it well.