Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Need help on converting mode 2 radio to mode 1

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Need help on converting mode 2 radio to mode 1

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 09:01 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help on converting mode 2 radio to mode 1

Hi all. I might be posting in the wrong place. If there is a better place let me know.
Anyways here goes. I've been an airtronics, mode 1 user for 25 years and have accumulated many airtronics servos and receiver stuff. I really hate to switch now. Anyways, I bought a new airtronics radio a few months ago, but am thinking about updating already. My new radio ( a few months old) is a excellant computer radio, mode 2 and all I did was change the throttle clicker to the other stick. Doing this I can actually use it but all the other electronics is still mode 2. When I say the rest of the electronics I mean expo, throttle/engine stop and there are probably other stuff that needs changing that I can't think off.

My question, the radio I am thinking of getting is the Airtronics RD-8000 8 channel and it comes mode 2 from the factory, but Hobby People will change it to mode 1 for free. I told them to change everything to mode 1 but they want me to tell them what features need to be changed. I need help in telling them.

I'm sure some of the switches don't have to be changed. These are the things that I can think if that should be changed.

1 Throttle from left to right stick
2 Expo from left stick (elev and ail) to on right stick.
3. Engine/throttle stop to work on right stick

Thats what I can think of at this point. What about other mixing features, or is there anything else I should tell them to change. I'm guessing that there are some advanced features that should be switched, but not being familiar enough with them, I don't know what to tell them to change. I'm afraid if I don't tell them now, they will charge me later as they will say I didn't tell them to change something.

Any and all help will be appreiciated and thanks a lot Terry
Old 11-15-2007, 05:13 AM
longdan

Default RE: Need help on converting mode 2 radio to mode 1

I was under the impression that the mode only referred to the sticks. The switches are a matter of personal preference and what the manufacturers give you. I know some of the latest radios allow you to program any switch with any function that the radio is capable of.
On my old Futaba T6XA, the switches for the ail/ele dual rates were on oppsite sides of the radio to what I wanted. The switches just plug on to the main board. I just unplugged them and swapped them over. It means that the labels on the switches are now wrong, but who looks at the labels when your flying?
Another guy at my club did a similar thing by unscrewing the switches themselves and remounting them where he wanted them. Luckily the leads inside the tx case were long enough.
You will probably get better answers by placing your question [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tt.asp?forumid=157]in this forum[/link]
Old 11-15-2007, 03:58 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

It's just the sticks that need to be changed. BUT... it's not just the clicker. The harness plugs that go to the stick pots or encoders also need to be changed so that the fixed mixes will "see" the correct channel number since the fixed mixes are set up for specific channel numbers. So what you really need is to move the channel pot or harness so your throttle and elevator actually move completely.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:42 PM
tewitt1949

I just got an email from the people that I was going to buy it from and this is what they said.

All you need to do is specify that you want the radio converted to mode 1, and our tech will automatically change over the programming as well. Sorry for the mix up.

That sounds a lot better to me. I do think BMatthews, you are correct. Once they get the sticks right and the pots etc, the rest will fall into place. Thanks all, Terry