Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox Texaco Engine

Old 11-19-2007, 09:21 AM
crashlandin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox Texaco Engine

I started in this hobby by teaching myself how to fly with a 049 powered Gentle Lady glider. I went on to .25 and .46 sized planes. Had lots of fun per dollar building and flying a 1/2 A Das Splat from plans in RCM.

One dumb question regarding Texaco engines. I never had one of these but I always wondered: There are no fuel nipples on the back plate. How do you fill the tank? The QRC engine that I had seemed to lose some fuel thru these fuel nipples.

Lynn

Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
GrahamC

Default RE: Cox Texaco Engine

The fuel fillers are there on the top of the back plate, they are just flush with the surface. Sime versions had one of the holes raised slightly and other not.

cheers, Graham
Old 11-19-2007, 06:49 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to some really great pics of a Texaco version:
http://www.mg-nussbaeumli.ch/Seiten_..._17_Texaco.htm

Note that it has a plastic backplate and those only had one nipple on the backplate. on the other side of the NV you will find a small hole about the same distance from the NV as the nipple. The flush hole serves simply as a vent and when the fuel comes spurting out, you know the tank is full.

Should the plastic nipple be sheared off (for whatever reason) Then you will need to take other measures.

It is possible someone somewhere may have stuck a Golden Bee type metal backplate that simply does not have holes or nipples because the tank itself had those.

Robert
Old 11-19-2007, 07:43 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The later (or last) versions showed the same engine for Black widow, Texaco, And Babe Bee.

On the Texaco, they switched to the black plastic tank instead of the aluminum one (red or later natural). The Black Widow was switched to the unvented plastic tank also. Perhaps in their mix-and-match, they put the unvented tank with a BW unvented backplate.

On the "real" Texaco engines, they had a small venturi size to increase fuel draw at lower RPM, and extra fins on the glow head to help dissipate more heat while using the larger prop. It also had the non-friction starter spring. All this ('cept venturi) is shown on the excellent pic called out above.

George
Old 11-20-2007, 07:38 AM
GrahamC

Almost all Texaco engines I have seen had black crank cases as well.

Just goes to show what happened Cox towards the end when mixing this and that became a way life - black widows with silver cases, Texaco's with silver cases and quite possibly any other combination you can imagine and not to forget the users that did the same clouding even further which is what.

cheers, Graham
Old 11-20-2007, 08:05 AM
Yuu

Can someone put a small drill into the Texaco venturi to measure it, then tell us what the diameter is? This would help us to identify that 'weak' engine we might have as a true Texaco backplate. Or, someone might JBWeld a SS venturi and drill it out for Texaco-type operation. I've read that Texaco gets about one minute per cc of fuel; I can get only about half that, on a 'good day'. I DID however get to the point where moving from a 7 x 3 prop to a 7 x 4 prop didn't work, because the plane is too heavy and won't stay in the air. Engine run was still fine, but no way to control the 'ever-sinking' flight which always ended in a non-scheduled landing, engine running.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:37 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: GrahamC

Almost all Texaco engines I have seen had black crank cases as well.

cheers, Graham
Mine does not have the black crankcase. Got it about five years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85578.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	808612  
Old 11-21-2007, 12:03 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A number 26 bit is a tight fit, a number 27 is a loose fit in my Texaco's venturi, measured inside the backplate. That's between .147" and .144"

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22622.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	808657