Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

AP Hornet 09?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP Hornet 09?

Is the AP hornet 09 a decent engine? I am having issues finding anything else in that size range. Thanks
Old 12-03-2007, 11:11 PM
TIGER MOTH
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: AP Hornet 09?

I have the .09 and the .15 and really like them. What I find especially nice is how they can be mounted inverted in a cowl with the rear exhaust aiming down and be almost totally out of sight. I have one in a Tiger Moth and one in a Cub, with nothing sticking out the top or sides. They may not be the most powerful engines out there, but the easy operation, dependability and concealment factor make up for it.
Chris
Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Mr. Mugen

Thanks for the insight.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:21 AM
on pipe

Quality control is hit and miss on these engines. They are also pretty heavy. (.09 is same case as .15) An OS 10, either the LA or the previous FP, is a much nicer, longer lasting, engine. The FP's can still be had new online or still in stock at some hobby stores. If you need more oomph, an MVVS .12 is a hard little runner and pretty light as well... Ross
Old 12-04-2007, 10:17 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: on pipe

Quality control is hit and miss on these engines. They are also pretty heavy. (.09 is same case as .15) An OS 10, either the LA or the previous FP, is a much nicer, longer lasting, engine. The FP's can still be had new online or still in stock at some hobby stores. If you need more oomph, an MVVS .12 is a hard little runner and pretty light as well... Ross
What he said.....os .10-or .15 nice engines...I cant comment on the hit and miss quality of a Hornet engine..but I can tell you my os .15 starts like a light switch and runs great.......Rog
Old 12-04-2007, 03:17 PM
KidEpoxy

I ran the AP 15,
and it did ok for what I wanted: To hide inside the cowl.
It will make a great looking plane fly gutless compared to the other manufacturers, but you are trading real power for a clean cowl. Just be sure you know this going in, and is what you want. One example was the Ace Ultimate Bipe .15 I put the AP15 on... it flew, did some tricks if you kept an eye on your flight energy, but even aborting a landing was a daunting task with the low power it made. But it sure looked clean with that hidden muffler.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Mr. Mugen

Well with all that said I think I am going to steer away from them. i have a .061 new in box and might use it down the road. I may just hold onto it until I have some funky project to use it for. Thanks guy's, Kevin
Old 12-04-2007, 04:37 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

I really hate AP engines. The quality control is more miss than hit. Power is sub-par. It's apparent they didn't do any research into how well a 1/2a (or A for that matter) engine should perform or just didn't care.

On the other hand, the small LA series from OS work just like Rog said. On like somebody hit the light switch and good power. Especially the .15 at very little weight cost.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Mr. Mugen

I have a few .15 os la's and love them. I also have 2 .10 os la's. I was trying to find something different from all the rest. Just trying to put something together with a "off the beaten path" approach. I see on pipe mentioned a MVVS. I have not heard of them but will start looking into them. I love the small planes a lot more than I thought I would....time to read again. Kevin
Old 12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
AMB

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 061 is a disaster (at least as a diesel conversion poor compression. My 09s are fine yes a little heavy the exhaust system
is their best point, 2 converted ,easy hand start I did send one back with poor compression as a glow, They (Hobby people sent a new one in a week) It then got its diesel head and perks along fine If you get a good one they are twin BB and rod is bushed both ends which is not common in 09 engines martin

The irvine was a pix mispick the AP09 has diesel head by A.J. Coholic an excellent engine and conversion
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72039.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	818812   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf34162.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	818813  
Old 12-04-2007, 11:22 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Can you post a pic and the specs on your diesel head. I would like to get my machine head friend to dieselize a Hornet for me.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:24 PM
AMB

The 061 is a disaster (at least as a diesel conversion poor compression. My 09s are fine yes a little heavy the exhaust system
is their best point, 2 converted ,easy hand start I did send one back with poor compression as a glow, They (Hobby people sent a new one in a week) It then got its diesel head and perks along fine If you get a good one they are twin BB and rod is bushed both ends which is not common in 09 engines martin
Old 12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
AMB

SKAIWAGa Using the stock glow head as a pattern the portion that plugs in has to be the same size in depth the head should be about twice as thick as stock it is then bored for a contra piston the wall thickness of the part that plugs in is about 020 thou not critical if a little thicker remember its trapped in the bore so no issue a contra piston is made of aluminum grooved for a vitron O ring it has to be a pretty
tight fit the ring then seals it the top is tapped for an allen screw to adjust you do not have to be fancy on the fins can be the same
diameter GET RID OF THE STOCK HEAD SCREWS they are bad (soft and the heads can break off replace with the black ones from the LHS martin
the contra must be a close fit too loose and it can fall into the engine

Mr Mugen want some punch on those LA 10s put some davis diesel heads on them see the posts on the diesel site )Hobbsy post