Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

HOB's 1/12th. P-51D questions.

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HOB's 1/12th. P-51D questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 12:56 PM
quepasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOB's 1/12th. P-51D questions.

Yea I know I have alota questions on this great website in various forums....here are a few more for you guys.
I just recieved a HOB P-51D, 1/12th. kit, (beautiful kit I would add) that "Momma" bought for me for Christmas. She let me look at the plans, but I can't have til Christmas. Thats ok as theres no room on the table for it yet anyway.

Building of the kit is not going to be a problem, but what to power it with might be. I have a couple LA-.10s and was happy to see that HOB included a sheet to modify the build for a .10! I use only glow engines and had 1 of thease LAs in a modified HOB 2X4 glider. It was very FAST. That glider was also very heavy with about 3oz. of buckshot, landing gear, and std. radio. That little jewel jirked that plane outa harms way many times.

Heres the questions...is that .10 too much engine for this plane?
Have any of ya'll built and flown this plane?
With this engine?
Please share what you know.
Thanks in advance. Q.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:35 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: HOB's 1/12th. P-51D questions.

I had one of these a few years ago and it was a great flying plane! I think the .10 would be a great power plant for it. Only problem is fitting it into the plane. It can be done but it will be a tight fit. I had a Norvel .061 in mine and it was a good match although not over powered by any means. Another good engine for it would be the Norvel .074. This is all provided you can find one without having to sell your first born! If you don't have either of those, try it with the .10. I think you'll have fun with it. Another item to consider is weight. As I said, it flies beautifully as designed but there are several areas that you could shed a few ounces that wouldn't hurt the integrity of the plane.

1) Be sure to hollow the carved blocks as much as possible.

2) Cut holes in the fuse sides behind the canopy.

3) eliminate some ribs in the wings or half ribs.

4) limit the use of the plywood doublers. I think the fuse has them and I really don't think they are necessary.

Good luck with your build and be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

Brian
Old 12-07-2007, 03:21 PM
quepasa

Thank You Fireman!
It will be awhile before I start this one, but will be in touch when I do. The kit looks really good. I'm happy you think the .10 will be ok. I'm pretty sure its gonna be a handfull tho with that engine. I read alot about the AP engines and decided against that route. The NORVEL .074 sounds intresting, but hard to get? I really am impressed with the LAs in any case so will build around it. Good Flying! Q.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:37 PM
KidEpoxy

The Norvel 074 would be the cats meow for the plane,
but they stopped making them just a few years ago, so there are some still around, but getting harder (& More Expensive) to buy. We said the norvel had the power of a 10 in the weight of a 074, without spending a fortune.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

i build one years ago 2 channel td .049 flew great