Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

New engines

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 09:09 AM
DeviousDave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New engines

ORIGINAL: lukesp

So what are we to do now that there are no good R/C engines out there?
Whats wrong with the Enya 09 IVBB ? Still available from Enya direct.

http://www.enya-engine.com/store/ind...roducts_id=293

...Or the .11Cx and .11CX-D! [8D]
Old 12-11-2007, 09:14 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New engines? You know, as a group we have an awful short-term memory! Brodak introduced this non-CS .049 a while back. I'm still waiting on the .061 and R/C versions that were supposed to surface.

http://www.brodak.com/shop_productde...ProductID=8151
Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

See youse guys, no need to panic. There are planes out there that just need a little fuel proofing and firewall primping.

And engines too. We just need to think outside the "Cox" - .

Like the man said, "just let the force of the Crew be with you young master Luke". Or something like that.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:48 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

OOCH 81.00 dollars for a .09 enya not from me
Old 12-11-2007, 05:49 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

cs does have an r/c .061 i just got one from b@l hobbies supplies it was about 50.00 with shipping
Old 12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
ptulmer

CP posted a shot of his CS engine right before he gave it away. The piston had a huge void in it... Besides, you don't really need the left stick. Those two servos just increase weight and slow it down!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I picked the CS up when they first went on sale for $29 and tried it on a 36" span, 13 oz flying wing RC combat plane and it couldn't keep the plane in the air. It was only putting out 12,500 with a 6x3 [IIRC]. This engine might run better as a diesel, but I want to see performance numbers before reaching for the wallet again.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:08 PM
Wayne C

If your willing to come off of some cash check this out.

http://www.flycontrolline.com/Profi%20049%20.8cc.htm

Or you can get a GZ for about $90 plus shipping.

Try reading this thread.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=4505.0

No throttle. Just light em, let em go, and hold on tight.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:57 PM
quepasa

If someone cloaned the Cox .049 it would cost a small fortune. Especially if it was equipped with a real rc carb and muffler!
I wish that O.S. would make the LA-.10 a baby brother! Say a .050? (They are about the only ones that could pull it off with a quality engine for a reasonable price I think.)JMHO.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:14 PM
Wayne C

Have any of you guys tried rigging a reed valve throttle assembly to fit on the back of a sure start? Something like a weedeater or chainsaw throttle only smaller?
Old 12-14-2007, 08:06 AM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Wayne C

Have any of you guys tried rigging a reed valve throttle assembly to fit on the back of a sure start? Something like a weedeater or chainsaw throttle only smaller?
It could be done, just like the .074 Queen bee. But for a $7 engine who is going to spend that much time on it? If I remember there was a post on youtube somewhere of just this.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:31 AM
ptulmer

There used to be a commercially available carb made by Tarno that you could retrofit onto TD's and reedies. Look here and click on "3rd Party Parts" to see that and others: http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm
Old 12-14-2007, 12:58 PM
Wayne C

ORIGINAL: gkamysz

It could be done, just like the .074 Queen bee. But for a $7 engine who is going to spend that much time on it? If I remember there was a post on youtube somewhere of just this.
Granted it does seem like a lot of work for a seven dollar engine, however; that seven dollar engine is not the result of seven dollar technology. It is a seven dollar engine because the company that ended up with ownership of the design decided not to pursue further production and decided to liquidate remaining parts at bargain basement prices. The technology is sound. Materials and workmanship of latter production runs may be suspect. A Cox reedy is a good little engine. With the right cylinder, crank, head, and back plate it is a fantastic little engine. There are probably hundreds of thousands of these little critters out there. If a good throttle were available at some reasonable price I suspect many people would purchase them for the novelty if nothing else. Personally, I only ever owned one throttled model airplane engine. I'm still using the engine with the throttle removed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98003.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	825494  
Old 12-14-2007, 06:08 PM
Toad

Good running Cox engines are so much fun to play with. great hobby.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:22 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Granted it does seem like a lot of work for a seven dollar engine, however; that seven dollar engine is not the result of seven dollar technology. It is a seven dollar engine because the company that ended up with ownership of the design decided not to pursue further production and decided to liquidate remaining parts at bargain basement prices. The technology is sound. Materials and workmanship of latter production runs may be suspect. A Cox reedy is a good little engine. With the right cylinder, crank, head, and back plate it is a fantastic little engine. There are probably hundreds of thousands of these little critters out there. If a good throttle were available at some reasonable price I suspect many people would purchase them for the novelty if nothing else. Personally, I only ever owned one throttled model airplane engine. I'm still using the engine with the throttle removed.

I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of somebody producing one as an aftermarket item. How much would you spend to at a throttle to a $7 engine. $20, $30?

Old 12-15-2007, 02:07 AM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

I would not know i do not own one sure start but i bet i own 2 of all the others cox made
and not one is not running and i do have parts to keep them running for a long time i am a cox nut and will be for ever lollol 1/2a or quit
Old 12-16-2007, 10:33 AM
Yuu

there are at least four ifferent ways to throttle the SureStart... all discussed in these threads. Do a search... I've made some, and they work.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:17 PM
digital_trucker

Time for a little harsh reality, I know this is going to be offensive to many but facts are facts. There are two main reasons why 1/2A engine production has gone the way of the dodo (discounting the electrics factor). Cox (the company, not the man) and the modelers are the two prime reasons why we're not likely to see a REAL quality general-use 1/2A engine made again. Cox contributed to the problem by making umpteen bazillion engine parts, enough that new engines could be made for years with old stock (SureStart, anyone?). Add in the fact that Cox never really did anything to improve or modernize the engines. Take any reedie or TD from any time period and it's essentially the same engine. If, when micro radios first became practically available (at least as far back as the mid-80's) Cox had started THEN making a modern-design 1/2A engine complete with effective throttling and muffling we'd be in an entirely different spot right now. As it was, Cox was able to keep the prices so low on engines in this size range that nobody else could reasonably compete. This brings me to the other main factor in all of this...US. Modelers have no problem shelling out $60-$80 for a .40-size engine, yet they will scream as loudly as a TD on racing fuel when asked to pay the same for a 1/2A size engine. Here's reality folks, the price of the engine is NOT in the amount of materials, but in the work required to produce that engine. It takes just as much work to produce a quality 1/2A engine as it does to produce a .40. As long as we demand that an engine be sold for roughly half of it's reasonable price, we won't get one.

This is one of the reasons that electric made such inroads in 1/2A size planes. Effective 'throttling' and reliability. Funny how people will spend big $$$ on electrics to fly a 1/2A size plane, yet those same people have an embolism if asked to consider spending a reasonable amount for an equivalent engine....

It's OUR fault, guys. We voted with our wallets, and killed it from within.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:41 PM
ptulmer

Well, Cox may not have killed 1/2a, but they did make it a niche product until Norvel came along. TD .049's were going for $80 and Blackwidows for $60 at Tower. I know for a fact that it didn't cost even a fraction of that to make them. BTW, Cox assembled engines from parts on hand for over twenty years! They basically got out of the engine business a long time ago. It wasn't as profitable as the toy business. Norvel stopped making engines because they found a way to make more money with the equipment in the same field they came out of. Both the Norvel and the AP Wasp are proof that the engines can be made for a reasonable price. There's much less raw material, tooling and time involved. You can probably turn out five .061's for the same cost as a .46. Look at what having reasonable priced Norvels available caused. 1/2a pylon and combat were becoming popular!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 PM
peterburford

ptulmer,
It's good that you know these things that others don't.
I hope that you will produce this engine that everyone will buy.
I shall be the first to applaud.
Peter
Old 12-21-2007, 11:10 PM
combatpigg

I don't see where Ptulmer is claiming any special inside knowledge? Sounds like he's just giving an opinion.

I'll tell you one thing about him, he is about as fine a man as you will ever know.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:46 AM
peterburford

CP,
Yeah, I guess that's just another thing I don't know.
I'm not out to offend anyone.
Just that it's my opinion that a good small R/C engine can't be made, sold and serviced commercially for $80.00.
To perpetuate the myth that it can just means that there is less chance that any more will ever be made.
Of course, I could be wrong again.
I would be pleased to have someone prove it.
Peter

Old 12-22-2007, 12:53 AM
ptulmer

AP
Thunder Tiger
CS
Brodak (not R/C, but rumor had a carb in the works)

There are others, but all you wanted was proof. Those are all current production engines.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:35 AM
combatpigg

Peter......there is no better man walking this planet than you to know what can and can't be done in the small engine world, considering that this business is your life.

When it comes to this topic, comparing value is what it is all about. I believe that steak is a better buy than hamburger. Trouble is that there is no middle ground in the 1/2A world for the BigMig and VA lovers any more.

Hopefully there is still a good demand for your engines, it sure does look like what you have to offer is the very best.

Have a nice Xmas and New Year!
Old 12-22-2007, 01:39 AM
combatpigg

Patrick, Peter qualified his remark by saying that no GOOD engine could be made for that price. When you look at it like that, he is right [&o]
Based on todays' standard, a good engine should run many years of steady use [around here] before the back plate or head needs to come off. I have several engines that have gone 4 or 5 years without any mechanical trouble.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.