Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Skydrill kit build

Old 12-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Skydrill kit build

I ordered a laser cut Skydrill kit from Select Hobbies recently after seeing a couple of others on this forum. This build may be spread out over some time but I thought I'd document it with a thread since I enjoyed documenting my last couple of builds here so much. I hope that it will eventually help someone else with their own project.

The kit arrived well packaged in a Tyvek(hinge material) envelope.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33953.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	823287  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Tee Bee

Default RE: Skydrill kit build

It appears to come with most if not all of the wood required to complete it. Landing gear wire and control horns were even included. I noticed the horns were standard sized instead of 1/2A though.

Name:	Rp44529.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	823290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33702.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	823291  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Tee Bee

Cutting out the parts is quick and easy thanks to the laser cutting. A few minutes of sanding to knock off the burrs and everything looked real nice. I labeled all the ribs with a sharpie marker. I could get spoiled to this since my last few planes were scratchbuilt and took much longer to get to this point. The plans are very clear and detailed. A simple instruction manual would be a nice touch to help newer builders but overall this is a very nice kit for the price!

Name:	Qn38554.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	823297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56874.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	823298  
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Tee Bee

I plan to build this plane as it was designed with no aerodynamic mods using the wood provided in the kit. For power, I've got a Hypercolor Stage 3 Skyline .049 that's been waiting patiently for a suitable airframe. I'll probably use 3 Hitec 55 servos and a Berg 4 lite receiver since I've had good luck with those in my LA Stick. I'll have to wait and purchase those later on. I'll probably cover it with Ultracote just because I like the stuff even though there's lighter options out there. I think it'll still be plenty fast and light enough. I'm also considering using rubber bands and wood dowels to hold the wings on instead of the tongue and nylon bolt in the plans since I intend to build it without landing gear and fly off the grass. I will probably build the wing straight with no dihedral to make construction simple and flight interesting! I've got a 1oz round Sullivan tank that should work well.

Here's the Skyline .049 in it's display case with an APC 4.2x2 prop. Tim Wiltse included a custom machined adapter to run the APC props. Nice touch.

Name:	Ig11491.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	823314  
Old 01-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Tee Bee

Alright, contruction is finally underway, folks. I made the former and firewall assemblies first. The parts matched the plans nicely and even had the longeron notches cut out. I glued the finished formers and the "crutch" fuse side doublers to the fuselage sides while holding everything together with rubber bands to keep it straight. I attached the firewall later with epoxy. Glued in the wing saddle doublers, cowl cheek doublers, and 1/8th" longerons. Then I sanded an angle on the longerons at the tail before gluing the two sides together. Next came the fuse side upright doublers which I cut from scrap. Pretty basic stuff so far.

Name:	Sq46552.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	843678  
Old 01-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Tee Bee

Here's another shot of the Stage 3 Skyline engine. This little mill should make the Skydrill move out real nice! I sure like Tim Wiltse's stuff and hope he's able to return to the scene someday.

Name:	Lj22926.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	843681  
Old 01-06-2008, 10:56 AM
Tee Bee

Skaliwag just sent me an email with Skydrill building instructions attached. Now that's customer service! Looks like I've already done a few things out of sequence but it shouldn't create any problems.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:44 PM
small_rcer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good Day:

In looking at the Sure Start by Tim I noticed the long needle valve. I have found that they often break from vibration, when there is no choke tube holding them.

I cut mine down about 1/2 way to the mount. Then solder a little cross bar of wire as a pointer and handle.

Not as elegant looking as the rest of the engine but saves the needle valve.

Jim H
Old 01-06-2008, 06:01 PM
Tee Bee

Yeah, that's a good idea.
Old 01-06-2008, 06:57 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Those are really nice, complete kits. av8rsodt is building one, too, so I'll get a chance to fly one... if he gets it finished.

I second the use of rubber bands for the wing. I've tried nylon bolts on planes w/o gear and the first big clump of crabgrass your wingtip hits usually breaks the bolt block loose in the fuse.

My Skyline was pretty tight when I got it. I think Tim works on the fit, so mine, at least, needed several tanks to break in. But, then, I'm used to running 30yr old reedies that are way too loose. I'm using a short NV, too.

David

Name:	Ig11398.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	844203  
Old 01-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Tee Bee

Thanks for the info. I haven't tried to run it yet. I'll give it some break-in runs on my stand soon. I didn't really get anything done to the Skydrill today. When I got some spare time this evening, I took my .049-powered Pong Two over to the hayfield next door for a half-dozen fun flights. Life is good.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:13 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TB. Whats the differnce between the stage 3 motor and regular sure start? Power? Cost? What internal differences. Tell me about them. Thanks Terry
Old 01-06-2008, 09:08 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

David - I saw that . My Skydrill will definitely be done by the May Reedie Race.

I got a good start on the wing, just needs the final details and then I am off to installing the radio gear.

Anxious to see these other Skydrill's finish as well.

Brian
Old 01-06-2008, 09:22 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: av8rsodt

David - I saw that . My Skydrill will definitely be done by the May Reedie Race.

I got a good start on the wing, just needs the final details and then I am off to installing the radio gear.

Anxious to see these other Skydrill's finish as well.

Brian
done? it should be worn out by the May reedie race!!...Rog
Old 01-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Tee Bee

Tim's Stage 3 Skyline .049s start out as stock SureStarts. From what I can tell, he lightens the piston, resets the piston/rod clearance, polishes the cylinder, checks for proper piston/cylinder fit, ultrasonically cleans everything, and modifies the shape of the venturi. He also includes a custom head which uses Turbo glow plugs. The crankcase is machined a bit on the outside for appearance and anodized in the color of your choice as well as a custom machined spinner. He also includes a custom machined prop driver and adapter which allows the use of APC props of different sizes by simply turning the adapter around to fit(nice touch). There may be more to it, but those seem to be the noticeable differences. The prices range from $40 for Stage 1 to $60 for Stage 3. I haven't run mine yet, so I can't tell you about power and performance gains over stock. Raindave has one and may be able to compare it to a stocker. One thing's for sure, they are beautiful little engines and the uniqueness of it was enough to make me buy one.

If you've kept up with the Hypercolor/Tim Wiltse saga, you already know that he's been AWOL for some time now. His website is still up but I understand that he hasn't been shipping orders lately. I received my engine in September just before he quit responding to emails. http://www.hypercolor.biz/index.html
Old 01-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Tee Bee

Got the top sheeting glued on this evening. Crossgrain.

Name:	Yv66111.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	844511  
Old 01-07-2008, 06:38 AM
longdan

Just as a matter of interest, what are the milled grooves on the side of the Skyline engines for?
Old 01-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Tee Bee

Beauty dimples.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Tee Bee

Glued the tail pieces together. Everything was precut making it easy to fit. Much quicker than built up parts.

Name:	Ca82793.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	845063  
Old 01-08-2008, 01:11 AM
Tee Bee

On to the wings. Started by pinning down the top spar(wing is built upside down). Then I began gluing the ribs to the spar while making sure they were perpendicular to the table.

Name:	Ec87654.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	845547  
Old 01-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Tee Bee

Once the ribs were glued down, I placed the bottom spar piece into the slots and glued it in place, followed by the trailing edge sheets and leading edge sticks. I made the shear webs from 1/32" sheet and glued them in as per the plans. I removed the pins, turned it over, and added the top trailing edge sheets and 1/4" trailing edge sticks. Also added doublers to the center nose rib per the plans. That's all for today.

Name:	Ay75206.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	845549  
Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 AM
flyinrog

A month long build thread...hmm CP's gotta be chompin at the bit by now....I think he updates by the hour on his build threads...even I would have built, flown, and crashed it by now and started on the next one.......but it looks cool so far, I ordered a few planes from select hobbies too, but I think my email may have junked the reply, and it didnt go through, and I have 20 planes to build anyway so I didnt retry it.....Rog
Old 01-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Tee Bee

Yeah, it's been stretched out, indeed. I stated in my first post that it may be that way. I've been working a lot of overtime and busy with other activities as well as this project. I just work on the Skydrill in spurts when time allows and I feel like it. I've also noticed that my available building time has decreased due to having airworthy models available to me, now. I tend to fly them when the opportunity arrises instead of building something. My next build will be an Ultra Sport ,which at this rate, will take a year. I got into this hobby last February and since then, have completed 2 Sig kits and 3 scratchbuilt 1/2A planes, not to mention learning to fly. I thought that was pretty good for a beginner.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:50 AM
Tee Bee

Got the wing center section sheeted top and bottom and trimmed the little "jig" tabs from the ribs. Also cut off and sanded the lateral pieces extending beyond the outboard rib flush. Bevel-sanded the 1/4" wing trailing edge down to 3/16" to match the aileron/trailing edge stock. I still haven't figured out how I want to build the wingtips yet.

Decided it was time for a mockup, so I drilled the engine mount holes so I could hang it up front for some pics. I love the sleek lines of this bird.

Name:	Eb86864.jpg
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	846349   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81877.jpg
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	846350   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd81266.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	846351  
Old 01-09-2008, 03:32 AM
Luna_Rendezvous

hehe...

that 4.2x4 looks like a tooth pick on the 049, I bench ran one last weekend on a BW and it turned 20500 rpms, it didn't seem to have much thrust, but if your bird is light and not so draggie it will have a nice top speed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.