Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Roughneck Dimensions

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Roughneck Dimensions

Old 12-17-2007, 11:58 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Roughneck Dimensions

I got the plans for the original 'lil Roughneck and for the bipe as printed in the old American Modeler. What I got scanned does not appear to be of correct proportions.

Can some one pull out their copy of these old plans and cite a few dimensions (to 1/16th acuracy) for these such as "measured" wingspan. height, overall length, etc. The old dimensions are well rounded off, and I need them measured correctly so that I can take out the distortion that crept in to the print.

I am hoping to have a few cut up in January.

Wm.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 PM
gfurr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roughneck Dimensions

Hey WM,

I have a couple of thoughts:

Bob Harris lives close to me and I talked to him a couple of times when he was drawing and kitting the Lil' Roughneck. He went through several builds before solving the flight stability problem with 2 options. First adding more dihedral and 2nd keeping the original dihedral and adding ailerons. I believe he added both options to his kit which is carried by selecthobbies for about $40. I have found that if you build the roughneck too with only a low wing it flys well. The fin is higher on the "too" and the fuselage has a little more side area. I've flown it with a Cox .010 with Steve's throttle sleeve with enough success to keep trying. It is a tough plane. Easy to fix. Sign me up for a couple of your cut outs if you go that route. I always wanted to put an out-runner in one. The plane with a cox didn't stay up long enough for me. Eddie at Lazer works has done excellent work for me but his pace is like mine. A little slow. He is so good and reasonable that people keep him busy

Now to help you.

I have the original Lil' roughneck kit by Scientific. It has never been out of the box and has the original plans. I am willing to send it to you for your use with the understanding you will not damage any parts and re-package it before sending it back. I always FedEx and if you save the shipping stuff it should be no problem. I also have the original magazine with the Lil' roughneck article. I could sent it to you or email a scan.

In addition, I'll pull the kit out and if you PM your phone number and time to call, I'll call tonight with plans and tape measure in front of me. I have Vonage and long distance is free.

I've included pictures of the decal in the box and a picture on the box. The original color scheem is different than most people think.

Let me know.

Glynn Furr
919-467-8416

Well. I tried to upload the JPG (20K) but no joy. I know I'm supposed to click "embed images" but I looked all over and never found the option. Oh Well, no one probably cared what the original plane color scheme was anyway. I never understood why RC Universe has the "Click here to upload images and files". That never worked for me. Probably have to pay money for this.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glynn, if you click on the word "reply" at the top right of each post you can upload there. I for one am interested! Bob's last effort is sitting on my shelf at home. Too pretty to fly...
Old 12-17-2007, 04:52 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, I had an learning experience with the Roughneck. It would not respond to rudder commands the first time out. I had 3/8 rudder throw one way and I beleive the rudder was somehow washed/cancelled out. I was able to lengthen the rudder by about 1/2 inches and she would turn but she would still wag her tail!! I ended up adding ailerons and she was a ball to fly. Here are pictures of my original. Patrick has the same model with the aileron wing. A cute little model!!!

Bob Harris

FYI: Somewhere in my archives I have a review of the Roughneck by a British mag in the mid 60's. After about 5 flights whereas the model was totally uncontrolable it was totally destroyed! The author pronounced it unflyable!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59035.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	827963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43535.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	827964  
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought the Sterling Roughneck when introduced and with my best Citizenship equipment and a brand new se-2 escapement built it as light as the kit wood would let me. I soon grew to dislike Aubry Kochman after it destroyed itself after the 4th atempt to fly it. For some strange reason Sterling kept selling it for years after everyone knew that it was a dog.
Dennis
Old 12-18-2007, 08:13 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: BobHH

Yep, I had an learning experience with the Roughneck. It would not respond to rudder commands the first time out. I had 3/8 rudder throw one way and I beleive the rudder was somehow washed/cancelled out. I was able to lengthen the rudder by about 1/2 inches and she would turn but she would still wag her tail!! I ended up adding ailerons and she was a ball to fly. Here are pictures of my original. Patrick has the same model with the aileron wing. A cute little model!!!

Bob Harris

FYI: Somewhere in my archives I have a review of the Roughneck by a British mag in the mid 60's. After about 5 flights whereas the model was totally uncontrolable it was totally destroyed! The author pronounced it unflyable!!!
Mmmm, nice job, looks good. Just cries for 4 channel and a hot .049. Kidding!

I too have an original kit, and I am glad I heard these heads-ups about it's behaviour. "One day" (just when is that, anyhow?) I'll build a copy of it, but sounds like I'll be adding ailerons!

MJD
Old 12-18-2007, 08:16 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gfurr1

Glynn Furr
919-467-8416

Well. I tried to upload the JPG (20K) but no joy. I know I'm supposed to click "embed images" but I looked all over and never found the option. Oh Well, no one probably cared what the original plane color scheme was anyway. I never understood why RC Universe has the "Click here to upload images and files". That never worked for me. Probably have to pay money for this.
Do you have software with which you can reduce the file size? Something in the 50-100kB range will show up fine here and be quick to upload. 20mB may be too big.

Try "Click here to upload images and files" at the bottom left of your new or quoted message window. Works fine for me and that's a reasonable litmus test of it's ability to work at all.

MJD