Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

COX TD .049 CARB BODY

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

COX TD .049 CARB BODY

Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COX TD .049 CARB BODY

hi everyone i have a cox td .049 looking for a carb i noticed last night while cleaning the engine a split on the rear of carb body it still tightens down but i dont know if it will run i like to replace it but cant find one
Old 12-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: COX TD .049 CARB BODY

Back when I used to fly a fair amount of 1/2A CL combat split TD carb bodies wasn't rare. If I remember right there wasn't a single time when wrapping tightly with copper wire and then covering it all with Weldbond didn't hold for a couple of weeks if I didn't have a replacement ready to hand. As for a replacement, Select Hobbies could help I betcha <http://selecthobbies.com/index.html>.

(Is Weldbond the right name? I'm too lazy to walk back to the toyroom and look. You know, that two-part stuff that's the cat's pajamas and 23-skidoo for this type of repair and metal fixes too.)
Old 12-25-2007, 03:25 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Select Hobbies does not seem to have carb bodies for the TD .049. I am looking for the same thing for the same reason. The only ones I have found so far are on eBay, and are priced way too high.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:48 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: gabe200

hi everyone i have a cox td .049 looking for a carb i noticed last night while cleaning the engine a split on the rear of carb body it still tightens down but i dont know if it will run i like to replace it but cant find one
There are a couple of threads from earlier this year describing various ways to fix one. In my case, I bound the cylindrical threaded part of the body in thread and marinated this in plastic CA. Once this had cured, I overcoated it with 5 min epoxy for protection, as CA is dissolved by nitromethane. Works great. Another great adhesive for this is any of the two part plastic adhesives like Plastic Welder etc. These are methacrylic adhesive systems that bond like jeepers to plastics like that which the carb bodys are made from. Epoxies sort of stick to it but not very aggresively.

My advice is to go ahead and fix it, and in the meantime you can poke around for a replacement part.

Enterprising 1/2A modelers with lathes have made press fit sleeves to go over that part.

MJD
Old 12-25-2007, 08:26 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

PTUlmer was selling some dandy metal rings he made just for fixing this problem. He custom made up some and they are just slick as a whistle. You might PM him to see if he still has some.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 PM
gabe200

ill try fixing it first and look around for a new thats going to be hard
Old 12-26-2007, 12:56 AM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Yep, I have a batch of those rings around here somewhere. "Sweetie-pie" cleaned my office for me and they are missing. Easy enough to make, though. Nothing supercritical about the outside dimensions. It just has to fit, if you get my meaning. The inside is exactly the size of a 5/16 drill bit. The nice part about a ring is that it will compress the plastic back into it's original shape, making the threads a perfect fit. You'll have to work hard to get wire or thread to work as well for that.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ptulmer

Yep, I have a batch of those rings around here somewhere. "Sweetie-pie" cleaned my office for me and they are missing. Easy enough to make, though. Nothing supercritical about the outside dimensions. It just has to fit, if you get my meaning. The inside is exactly the size of a 5/16 drill bit. The nice part about a ring is that it will compress the plastic back into it's original shape, making the threads a perfect fit. You'll have to work hard to get wire or thread to work as well for that.
Nah, it was easy. I screwed in the venturi while I repaired it, and when I bound it up with button thread it tightened everything up, then I nailed it with thin plastic CA. Voila! Worked fine, and the venturi screws in and out too.

MJD
Old 12-26-2007, 03:28 PM
gabe200

well i came across 2 carb bodies for the cox 05 will these work on the td .049
Old 12-26-2007, 05:48 PM
Luna_Rendezvous

yeah all the .049s .051 and the .05RC Tee Dees use the same size carby body.
Old 12-26-2007, 08:20 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Machine a ring! Brilliant! Probably a good idea for the ones that have not split yet also.

That's the answer for me. Thanks for the great idea. I'm off to my lathe!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Gabe,

Those original Cox 05 carb bodies are a rather hard to find item. They differ in that there is a small tab on the cylinder side (rear) of the body to hold the muffler assembly from rotating. That tab will break very easily in a crash.

Also, another split carb body repair option...

There are several good repair methods already mentioned, but I have one more to add. Find a small compression spring with an inside diameter just a bit SMALLER than the split area of the body, and with a wire diameter around .015" or so. Cut off a short length of spring about 5 turns long. Clean and glue the split in the carb body. (Devcon Plastic Welder - about $2.50 at Walmart - usually more elsewhere - glues Cox engine plastic great.) After the glue is well cured and smoothed off, push the short piece of spring onto the carb body with an UNWINDING twisting motion until it is a little below the top of where the veturi seats. (This is far easier for me to do than to describe!)

Arlen
Old 12-27-2007, 01:03 AM
longdan

Just checked mine, and whaddya know, it's split down the back []
Might try and turn up a ring - PTUlmer- what material did you make your rings from?
Old 12-27-2007, 02:45 AM
glowtime

I have Tee Dee 010 and 020s that also are split. I can see that there may be a problem because of the smaller carb body but wondering if someone could come up with a magic drill size or fix for these little rascals!!
Old 12-28-2007, 04:11 PM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just screw it in with a touch of silicone on the threads and don't overtighten it. It'll seal the crack and will never vibrate loose. It's a simple,fast, fix that works.

Rrragman
Old 12-28-2007, 10:32 PM
gabe200

well i just put the 05 carb body on i still like to fix the old one just in case i need a spare i still have 1 05 carb body how tight? i dint over due it i hope ulmer if you read this pm me i want to get some rings
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99946.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	836143  
Old 12-29-2007, 01:40 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Raymond LeFlyr

Back when I used to fly a fair amount of 1/2A CL combat split TD carb bodies wasn't rare. If I remember right there wasn't a single time when wrapping tightly with copper wire and then covering it all with Weldbond didn't hold for a couple of weeks if I didn't have a replacement ready to hand. As for a replacement, Select Hobbies could help I betcha <http://selecthobbies.com/index.html>.

(Is Weldbond the right name? I'm too lazy to walk back to the toyroom and look. You know, that two-part stuff that's the cat's pajamas and 23-skidoo for this type of repair and metal fixes too.)

JB Weld?

jess