Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ailerons?

Old 12-31-2007, 05:37 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ailerons?

Is an inboard short aileron gonna use the propwash to better increase the turning ability of a plane?....Or is an outboard short aileron gonna use the weight of the plane for a better turn advantage?....Rog
Old 12-31-2007, 05:43 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ailerons?

Go with the outboard. Unless you're doing 3D airflow from flying will far outweigh propwash. Plus, outboard ailerons have much better leverage than inboard ones. Also, outboard ailerons take advantage of the speed differential when turning.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

What he said. I'm building a Prime Stick now with barn door ailerons. The wing looks much more "real". I think they went to strip ailerons because it was easier to hook up.

Personally, I think strip ailerons may add unnecessary extra drag. Something to think about when you are building the ultimate Reedie Racer.

Gee, I just looked at the list of who's online and it looks like the whole gang's here. . . So Happy New Year youse all!
Old 12-31-2007, 08:57 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Yep, tips are where they should be.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Mr67Stang

Okay, I'll ask. Whats on the design board?
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 PM
flyinrog

Hey Stang, nothing in particular, just the usual flood of ideas that I half ass finish until the day before the reedy race, then turns out badly...so I end up yelling at people to shut up and start your engine...I'm gettin real good at that......Rog
Old 12-31-2007, 09:51 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in a quandry what to build for this year's race. I could still campaign the Quick Shot but kinda want a new plane each year just to maintain tradition.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:11 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Vic, why not scale down a Predator or Dominator to about 150 sq inches? Move the wing back an inch to account for the lightweight 1/2A engine and yer in.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Vic, why not scale down a Predator or Dominator to about 150 sq inches? Move the wing back an inch to account for the lightweight 1/2A engine and yer in.
If those are the bigger .40? size pylon racers,,,then thats basically what TimW brings up,,I think he has 2 of them but as sheet wing racers...still wonder about him?....Rog
Old 12-31-2007, 10:52 PM
combatpigg

Rog, that's what they are. As for Tim, I hope he will be able to recover from his predicament, he is a good guy. All you can do sometimes is play the cards yer dealt.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:51 PM
vicman

Like this???
Ol Bob invented the Quick Shot and a decent flyer if I can get enough aileron dialed in. Otherwise an excellent racer.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2008, 12:03 AM
combatpigg

That's the ticket, I would just practice with that plane until it learns how to fly itself.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:06 AM
OzMo

Some pylon planes have only one aileron for turning only one direction while racing hmmmm. the outside wing in a plane flying a circle always moves faster than the inner wing so go for the fast wing for control. I believe that is the theory but I'm speaking off the top of my head and its not even to good for growing hair. Don't forget about mechanical exponential on one servo aileron set ups.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:01 AM
combatpigg

I don't know of anyone who has tested the single aileron on either wing panel for the best results. The outer panel will have more drag when the aileron gets deflected, so the nose should want to stay up in a turn. I have a dual aileron 1/2A pylon racer that dips the nose in the turns and am almost ready to roll out a single aileron racer that is almost identical. Hopefully it will want to run the course with less input.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:23 AM
vicman

Bob didn't have any problems with his planes but I did. You can see the little pc of cardboard I put on the aileron to get enough roll to make a turn for the race. I really struggled with it that day. I need to go back and extend the link inside to make the throw moment longer.
If I was doing a hundred miles and hour this may not have been such a problem.
Old 01-01-2008, 02:25 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

CP the one that dips the nose may have too much fin area.

The aileron will only produce drag when deployed for rolling into or out of the turn. Once in the turn it'll be pretty much back to neutral. But I tend to agree that the outer panel would be the right place since it would tend to yaw the nose out and up and somewhat avoid the tendency to dip the nose. Running one aileron would also be a good way of avoiding the sensitivity at higher speeds that likely often results in over control.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:38 PM
combatpigg

The drag from the outer aileron [entering the turn] might be able to "cock" the nose of the plane enough to maintain a better heading through the turn. My "nose dipper" plane actually flies the course pretty well but it does leave a nose down silouette at the far turn. There are so many other factors that come into play, including how precisely built the plane is, CG, etc.. The electric racers tape the outboard ends of their ailerons to eliminate buzzing and to smooth the plane out. These guys are doing over 100 mph on a short course and they are "all over the place"