Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

How are gilbert engines?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How are gilbert engines?

Old 01-01-2008, 12:21 PM
Mr. Mugen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are gilbert engines?

I was looking around for different engines for this size plane and found a gilbert .074. Are they reliable? They don't look as nice as others but ya know how that goes.

Kevin
Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: How are gilbert engines?

Kevin,

From what I understand, they haven't been made for over 40 years. That there is still a stock of new engines out there should tell you something.

I did have a couple of them back in the 60's, and they were nothing exciting and seemed old fashioned even at that time. They use piston port intake timing like engines designed in the 1930's and 1940's. They did start easily and run smoothly but did not have much power.

Arlen
Old 01-01-2008, 02:03 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Some guys claim that they have enough power to get a well set up plane off the ground and all I got to say to that is.......WHOOPDEEDOOO!

Mine has had the stock head modded to use standard glow plugs, which probably makes it run weaker yet.

The only way I'll get any use out of mine is to build a powered hang glider.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:46 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In going through my magazines of the early 1970's the Gilbert .074 is selling for $1.99 each. That is two dollars less than than the best price I ever saw on a Cox Baby Bee.

That indicate something to you?

Wm.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:51 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The needle valve assembly [of the Gilbert] cuts straight through the venturi and blocks over 50% of the area. If a remote needle was used with a small dump tube that didn't block the venturi, these engines might pick up some power?
Old 01-02-2008, 10:46 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cp,

You may have something there. I have never heard of anyone taking the time to modify a Gilbert engine.

Re. the powered hang glider. One of the RTF planes that the Gilbert .07 sold in was an ultralight with a pusher configuration.

George
Old 01-02-2008, 11:59 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You missed out on the guy who had a NIP one on the bay. This 'rare' item could be bought for $199.00. Apparently there were no idiots left loose over the holidays because it is now re listed at $9.95. Of course he still wants $65.00 for his Gilbert 07. Mummmmm, it must be more rare.
Incidentally all the comments about the motor are true. 35% nitro helps a bit. Virginia Hobby Sport has them for about $26.00. I got a few from Polks at the WRAM show in the 80's for $5.00 apiece with a tank, prop ,wrench and extra plug. They still had a hard time moving any of them.
The Gilbert 11 plug will fit the Fox 09/10 and all of the Cox 15 motors.
Dennis
Old 01-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

George,

I don't remember a Gilbert "powered hang glider" per se, but I do remember a flying witch with a black Rologallo (sp?) type wing. I had one as a boy in the 60's and it actually flew pretty good.

I wouldn't work too hard on a Gilbert engine to try to increase the power. As a piston port design, the intake phase is centered with equal overlap of each side of TDC. This works OK for slow reving engines, but it is hardly the ideal.

Arlen
Old 01-02-2008, 04:24 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone on a previous thread posted the different Gilbert RTF's that were offered. I have a few .07's that I got on a closeout at Polks. Some of them had been literally ripped from the RTF and still had part of the plastic mount on it. Those also had a spring flywheel/starter on them and a reverse pitch prop.
Being a side port engine they will run in either direction without that starter installed.

I seldom rework engines to make more power, I just install a larger engine if necessary. Props, fuel, and shims only.

George

Afterthought: Here are my Gilberts. The .07's I mentioned, the .11 came from a yard sale - sans thrust washer and prop nut. I scavenged those from a Fox .15X to run the Gilbert, then reinstalled them on the Fox. All of the Gilberts started easily and ran well...for their vintage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46401.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	840410  
Old 01-02-2008, 06:33 PM
jessiej

For Christmas one of the gifts I got from my son was a bunch of old engines he had gotten from on line auctions. One of the engines is a Gilbert .07 with the glowhead drilled and tapped for a standard 1/4x32 plug. The installed plug seems to be a K&B long with idle bar. I have yet to run the little Gilbert, but will probably try a short reach plug when I do.

jess