Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Ap 0.61, Lets cut to the chase!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Ap 0.61, Lets cut to the chase!

Old 01-02-2008, 08:40 PM
quepasa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ap 0.61, Lets cut to the chase!

Without having to read a mile of BS, I'd like to know what you guys that HAVE ONE think about this engine. Thanks! Q.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:50 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Ap 0.61, Lets cut to the chase!

I have one but if you don't want to read a mile of BS, you don't want to hear from me.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
ProBroJoe

combatpigg:
I have one but if you don't want to read a mile of BS, you don't want to hear from me.

OK, to be blunt, some like 'em, some don't. I'm one of the "like 'em"s, but I just have a statistically invalid sample of one. (There's a video posted of me flying my SureShark with an AP .061.)

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION to READ THROUGH THE BS and DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:26 PM
wb4snu

ORIGINAL: quepasa

Without having to read a mile of BS, I'd like to know what you guys that HAVE ONE think about this engine. Thanks! Q.

I have 3 and still trying to get the first from leaking at everywhere it bolts or screws together. No BS here but the quality control of them is BS.[sm=thumbs_down.gif] Haven't cranked the other 2.
Richard
Old 01-02-2008, 11:08 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two. My first one took a long time before it would hold a steady NV setting. The second one ran great out of the box. They were like two totally different engines.

As others are saying, the QC is lacking. The design seems ok, it's the fit that seems to be all over the place.

David
Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 PM
Toad

I broke one myself
Old 01-03-2008, 01:12 AM
digital_trucker

Mine isn't stock anymore. I'm running a Hypercolor turbo head using OS P8 plugs,and a Flyquiet sport pipe. I getting in the neighborhood of 19K with a Graupner 6x3. It took almost a quart of Sig 1/2A fuel (with added castor) before it was really broken-in and started to hold a reliable needle setting and idle consistently. As others have said, QC is all over the map. The only place mine leaks is around that ridiculous 'muffler'.

Considering the price...and the availability...they're a good buy.
Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 AM
flyinrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bsarge got one that ran good outta the box....Rog
Old 01-03-2008, 09:31 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Mine took a while to break in but it runs pretty good. I'd buy another if I broke it.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
quepasa

Heres what I learned from this blunt, short, to the point thread.

1. Its a gamble to get a good one.
2. I might have to mix fuel for it.
3. I might have to buy special parts to get it to run right.

Thats exactly what I needed to know...............no BS! [sm=wink_smile.gif]

Thanks to ya'll for the replys. I think I'll just keep looking for the right small engine.

Didn't mean to sound like a jirk with the BS comment, even if I am sometimes.[&o] Q.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:13 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

dont give up not many small engines avaliable i have 2 they run great no problems you can get sig 1/2a fuel from tower
Old 01-03-2008, 12:23 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Its a gamble to get a good one.
2. I might have to mix fuel for it.
3. I might have to buy special parts to get it to run right.

......I think I'll just keep looking for the right small engine.
1. QC is the biggest problem -- it's the Forrest Gump Box of Chocolates gamble. Mine have come in dirty and needed to be cleaned thoroughly before running. Some are good; some are not, but all need to be gone over before starting.

2. You will probably have to mix fuel for any small engine. SIG 1/2A is probably the best off the shelf fuel you can get now, but most still add some castor, at least for breakin.

3. Not necessarily -- with the demise of NORVEL, many had to find alternatives for plugs. The Hypercolor/Turboplug or the Galbreath/Nelson plug combinations worked well and in some cases gave better performance than the original. Hypercolor does not appear to be shipping now, but Galbreath/Nelson heads and plugs can be found at [link=http://www.kittingittogether.com]Kitting It Together[/link]. AP parts are available thru [link=http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/211280.asp]Global Services[/link]. The WASP will run with existing parts, but see (1) above.

Your choice for throttled small engines is very limited - either theBay, old stock hobby shops or swap meets. [link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=8151]Brodak[/link] is importing a .049 (no throttle, no muffler) from Eastern Europe that may have some promise. I would stay away from used NORVELs -- because of some starting difficulties and tight fits, they may be prone to damage or abuse when new if folks are not familar with the engine or they may be run out.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Digger-RCU

ProBroJoe, I would like to see your video. Where do I find it?
I am building a sureshark right now.

Digger
Old 01-03-2008, 06:26 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know AP made a .61!

Someone had to..
Old 01-03-2008, 07:47 PM
quepasa

MJD, I said...0.61,,,NOT .61. There is a world of differance between the two, and YES someone does make many fine .61s! Try OS for a start.

Andrew ,thanks for that no BS answer.

Gabe, I will not give up! I may buy one just to see how it shakes out. I have a friend that has little money and don't want to recommend something that may be a problem for him or me.

Thanks again for all the input! Q.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:06 PM
SGC

whats a decimal point between freinds
Old 01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
ProBroJoe

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

ProBroJoe, I would like to see your video. Where do I find it?
I am building a sureshark right now.

Digger
Digger, it can be found here:
http://home.comcast.net/~jbwebst/SureShark2.wmv

There's a shot in the video when I go to altitude to do some spins. The AP .061 pulls the 12 oz SureShark vertical as long as my eyes hold out - I have to keep leveling off in order to see the plane...

Enjoy!

-Joe
Old 01-03-2008, 09:10 PM
bigjim195944

Well, if its Rob it can be BIG!
Jim

Great place Rob, thanks for telling me about it!
Old 01-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe --

What's the whoop-de-doo about a third of the way thru the video? It looks like you jerked it into a tight loop and it rolled out with a high speed snap or did you crank in some control to get it to break out. Either way, it's got a tough little wing on it.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

MJD, I said...0.61,,,NOT .61. There is a world of differance between the two, and YES someone does make many fine .61s! Try OS for a start.

Andrew ,thanks for that no BS answer.

Gabe, I will not give up! I may buy one just to see how it shakes out. I have a friend that has little money and don't want to recommend something that may be a problem for him or me.

Thanks again for all the input! Q.
0.61 and .61 are the same number, 10cc in metric terms.
0.061 and .061 are the same number, and equal 1cc.

Anyhow, I was just having some fun. "someone had to.." meant "someone had to step in and say something goofy". This is the 1/2A forum after all.

No offense meant!

Old 01-03-2008, 10:23 PM
ProBroJoe

Andrew:
What's the whoop-de-doo about a third of the way thru the video?
A poorly executed snap roll or two? I just banged full up elevator, full left aileron, and full left rudder - I was prolly a little late on the rudder... (If I hold it, it'll snap into a nice tight spin.) It's been a while since I practiced any real maneuvers - I pretty much just stir the sticks and keep an eye on the ground!

Fun Stuff...

-Joe
Old 01-04-2008, 04:49 PM
quepasa

MJD...Awh-Crap! [&o] Just when I thought I got something right, I screwed it up anyway![:@] Yea .061 is what I meant and not 0.61. Please forgive me.[] Q.

Happy ta see ya Jim! This is a great forum fulla lotsa guys that take no prisoners, and some actually know what their talking about!
I am amaised at the knowlege/experience some here have, and are willing to share. I am content to just be Quepasa here. An un-known with more questions than answers if ya get my drift. C-ya!

Far as the .061 AP is concerned, I think I'll pass. My friend does not have the money for a mistake, and neither do I. The OS LA-.10 is a sure bet and well worth the $53.00 even if it is too big. Just wish OS would build a .050! Thanks for the input ya'll! Q.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:21 PM
tewitt1949

I haven't heard a whole lot about the OS .10. Is that the same as the OS-max .10 pet. How does it compare to the Novell .074 as far as performance/power? What about Weight.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:25 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Just wish OS would build a .050!
Boy, you said it! It is a great mystery to me that OS builds no sub-A size engines. With their ability to make decent engines in large numbers at reasonable prices and fully support them with parts for years to come, folks like me would stand in line for the chance to buy 1/2A engines from OS. I can picture an OS .074, .061 and of course an OS .049!

Right now I am trying to do the next best thing and buy an Enya .049 R/C from overseas. Enya makes fines engines, (I have 4 of their 4-strokes) too bad there is no real support in the US for them.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Gravityisnotmyfriend
My Feedback: (2)

I"m probably just parroting what others have already said, but here's my experience.

I had a foam glider that I wanted to convert to RC. I first tried electric. It worked, but I burned up my battery on the charger. So I looked into glow conversions and stumbled across the Wasp .061. The first time I fired up the engine I was delighted. It ran great. Break in was quick and easy. I put it on the glider and it performed flawlessly. It always started easily and was super reliable. I flew that one until too much fuel got soaked into the foam and the foam eventually fell apart.

I put the wasp on a different plane (a 1/2 scale PBF) and was equally impressed. So impressed that I bought another one.

The more I messed with it, the more I had to accept that I had a turd of an engine. It wouldn't start. Once it did start it would quit as soon as I took the glow ignitor off. I'd lean it out and I could get it running without the ignitor - for about 10 secs. I've had nothing but problems with that engine. I've had that engine airborne a few times, but it has to be running rich. Not too rich to quench the plug, but not lean enough to make any power. And, as soon as I close the throttle at all, it would die.

So, like others have said, you may get an amazing engine for the price. Or you may get a turd in a box.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.