Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

MACH-NONE maiden flights

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

MACH-NONE maiden flights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 PM
wb4snu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MACH-NONE maiden flights

Well, after finally getting the M-N ready for flight and a good day to fly I took it to the club field and put it in the air. Boy did it fly good. Had to adjust the elevator after 1st flight. Couldn't get enough up trim to fly straight and smooth. I put an electric on it to test fly and adjust. I flew it 3 times and boy did it fly fast. I was about ready to leave and thought ---well let's see what it will do with a 3 cell lipo. It was like a rocket until I was turning around on a pylon type fly and it went nose down. No control what so ever. I had it set up for elevator and ailerons only. After picking up the pieces from making a vertical into some real tall trees I got it back to the field and checked everything. The only thing I could come up with is the elevator servo had stripped gears but I don't know if that happened when it tore through the limbs or when I made the highspeed quick turn. The speed control could have shut down from overheating?????? OOOHHHH well. Back to the drawing board. Been a while since I have lost one and it doesn't feel good. I am going to build another and do a little changing on some things.
I think I might make a build post on the next one and put it in here.

Richard[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 01-07-2008, 11:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: MACH-NONE maiden flights

Sorry to hear that. Does this plane have a split elevator joined with just a chunk of 1/8" dowel? I've seen lots of planes designed this way, can't bring myself to do it.

Hopefully the speed control circuit is isolated from the flight controls......[I don't know much about electric flight]. The battery pack should be protected from motor overload so it can still serve the RX [I hope].

All it takes is one solder joint to fail somewhere or a tiny gear tooth to break off, there are thousands of failure points on every plane. Hope you get another one going, they are fun while they last.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

High speed stall?
Old 01-08-2008, 10:54 AM
Andrew

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

.............. or a tiny gear tooth to break off
flutter?

This is the primary reason that I don't like to use the ultra-miniature servos on flight surfaces. To keep the size and weight low, the gear trains have been downsized to the point that there is little mass left. Storage and transportation bumps, a little flutter, being brittle due to cold weather or simple fatigue can cause a gear to shed a tooth.

I would rather give up a little weight than stick a plane due to servo failure -- consequently, I generally don't go smaller than a HS-81 on the surfaces (except for foamy electrics).

However, if it were flutter, servo size probably wouldn't matter.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Tee Bee

Sorry for your loss, wb4snu.