Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox dragonfly

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Kyle Entzel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox dragonfly

Hello. I am new to this hobby and was wondering if anyone can help me. I just bought a Cox Dragonfly .049 engine and ran it for the fist time and the engine was spiting a black oily liquid (castor oil?) from right behind the prop were the crankcase meets the prop drive plate thing. Is this bad or normal?
Thanks.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:49 AM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Default Cox dragonfly

Not normal.

Black, oily liquid usually means aluminum dust/powder is mixing with the fuel/oil and is spitting out the front. This implies that the crank, somehow, is grinding away at the crankcase. What is the history of this engine? New? Used? Did you use an electric starter? Spring starter and did you have a lot of trouble starting it?

My first experience with 1/2A and Cox involved having trouble starting the engine. I used the spring starter and wound the spring and spun the prop dozens and dozens of times. This put a lot of load on the mating crank and case parts with not a lot of lube supporting them. This ground out the case. When I DID get it started, I got the black, oily residue for a time, till it was all flushed out. Then, it was OK but then, I noticed a lot of fuel spitting out the front and the crank was a sloppy fit.

This may not be what's happening but I can't imagine anything else.
Old 04-13-2003, 02:12 AM
Kyle Entzel

Default Cox dragonfly

The engine is new, I use the spring starter and it did take me a while to start it.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:15 PM
Mavericman

Default Cox dragonfly

It could be that you are not getting top rpm. Make sure to lean it out to peak rpm.