Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox TD .15

Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 PM
AndyW
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox TD .15

I'm looking for burned out TD .15 plugs, preferably the high compression type. I have a TD .15 in parts to which I'll be adding a throttle and muffler. I have a low compression plug/head but this is likely to burn out someday and while it'll be easy to make that one a turbo conversion, I'm still curious to see how well a high compression head would work.

I'd like to make up a fully throttling, muffled version like my TD .09

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88535.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	982.1 KB
ID:	850518  
Old 01-14-2008, 12:31 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Cox TD .15

That sure is a great camera, Andy! Never seen a TD .15 before, I wonder how the ball socket compares with it's little brothers' for longevity? Your RC version looks like it should be very nice when you're done.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:55 AM
redbird340

Andy, a local hobby shop has quite a collection of hard-to-find cox parts. I will go and have a look tomorrow. PM me your address and i will send it out-- given i can get it.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 AM
skaliwag

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK Andy.... Spill the beans where all the parts came from or how you made them...I know I am supposed to know where the carb came from and the collector ring looks like ... I've seen one of those before.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:27 AM
AndyW

CP,

It's a Canon with 3.4 megapixels and a macro feature. But why this picture displayed so large is a mystery to me. Happens now and again for no reason. The original .15 had a ball and socket but a deluxe version had a conventional wrist pin. This is illustrated on Martin Hepperle's site.

Redbird,

I appreciate that. I'll inbox you shortly.

Skaliwag,

Just so there's no confusion, what is pictured is a TD .09. In the .09 pictured, the throttle is from MVVS from their .09 and the muffler is custom made. However, the muffler header IS off of Cox's RC .09 of a few years ago. I never owned the engine itself, I already had two TD .09s so there was no point. I didn't like the weight of their .09 muffler so I made up what you see.

For the .15, I got the crankcase, crank and all the bits excluding the piston,cylinder and head from a hobby shop in Toronto when I spent half the summer there. They had the one Medallion .15 but also a half dozen Medallion .09 crankcase and crank etc. Can't imagine why Cox would package such a set up but there they were. This was a large, established shop that had bought out the inventory of another shop that had gone out of business.

It's a Medallion .15 but I can grind out the crank's port to look like a TD and the plastic, front housing will be modified to take a throttle, probably off of a Norvel .15. I have a BLANK cylinder and a piston on the way. Reason is, I want to make up a cylinder with one exhaust port and three by passes. Also I'll orient the exhaust to the one side as per most engines.

A few years ago, Raj from Singapore sent me a TD .15 to throttle and I did but it wouldn't hold an idle less than half throttle. I've learned a lot since then and I think I can get the .15 to throttle well.

What this is meant to find out is if the Cox design can compete with today's engines. I think it can, easily, and this a real testament to the genius of Bill Atwood and Roy Cox. Their design, the entire Cox line STILL has a modern, attractive look.