"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

honker preshaped wing

Old 04-13-2003, 12:05 AM
crashworthy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default honker preshaped wing

Does anyone know how i can replicate the wing on the old honker 1/2a plane. I understand it's a preshaped piece of balsa.I am getting a set of plans from one of the guys on here and was looking for some info. thanks
Old 04-13-2003, 03:20 AM
skylane42

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If memory serves me, it was basically two balsa sheets glued together as a angle to form an undercamber.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:56 AM
Grampaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crashworthy,

When you get the plans, take a look at the side view of the wing layout. You'll see it is two pieces of balsa sheet butt-glued together sanded to airfoil shape at Leading Edge and spanwise along the butt-joint on top of the wing. To make the wing you prop up the front sheet 1/4," and butt-glue the rear sheet to it forming the undercamber. The chord is 7." Use a sandable glue.

The balsa sheets are from Sig, and I assume still available. The following info came from an old Sig catalog dated (2000). The front sheet is a 3/8"X3"X36" balsa sheet, No. B-150.
The rear piece is a "Tapered Cut Sheet," 1/4"X4"X36" No. B-431. When I got my Honker kit the wings were already assembled, now however, you will have to do the assembly. Hopes this helps, and Good Flying.
Old 04-14-2003, 10:49 PM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your plans should be in hand by now -- the construction article is very explicit on fabricating the wing and should be followed.

Something like the Great Planes Easy-Touch Sanding Bar is very useful for setting the angle on the tapered cut sheet. The stock for the leading edge is 3/8 x 3 x 36 and can be acquired at most any hobby shop. The trailing edge is what Grampaw indicated -- if your LHS carries SIG balsa, they may have it. If not, SIG has it listed on their web site, www.sigmfg.com under Building Materials --> AAA Balsa --> Tapered Cut Sheets. As I noted on the plans, the wing is almost impossible to build without the tapered stock. A good razor plane will be necessary to help shape the leading edge airfoil.

Andrew
Old 04-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Grampaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Andrew, I've been trying to remember what was recommended in the Honker wing instructions about reinforcing the center sections after joining the right and left panels. I think I wrapped
mine with a strip of nylon saturated with epoxy. A friend covered his entire wing with silk and it held up really well. What did you do with yours? One other question. My plans show the bottom wing with a negative set. I seem to remember reading somewhere about that being a plan error, and that it should have been a 0 degree set. I built mine with the negative set, and it flew very well. Any comment? Good flying.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:15 AM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Grampaw --

It's been a while since I built my last one - I still have it and will check the incidence tonight. If I remember, I believe I re-enforced the center section on the bottom with lightweight fiberglass and epoxy or I may have not put anything at all on it. I covered the entire plane in yellow monokote with black trim. Mine were built according to the RCM plan and flew well -- so the incidence did not appear to be a problem.

When you mentioned bottom wing, did you mean the bottom of the wing or were you talking about the Honker Bipe. Mine were the original .049 high wing Honkers -- later, folks took two Honker wings and build a .15 powered biplane.

Regards,
Andrew
Old 04-16-2003, 06:27 AM
Grampaw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Andrew
I don't remember a Honker monoplane, but a lot of things seem to have been "deleted" from my grey matter lately and maybe the Honker was among 'em! I just assumed the Posts were on the "Bipe." Evidently the wings are the same on both planes, so hopefully any info I passed along still applies. Dave Thornburg designed the bipe, and I guess the monoplane too, with the bipe following it. After RCM ran the bipe article I got a kit from someone. Getting involved here with these Posts on the Honker wing has stirred the memories, and the "build another one" juices. This time I believe I will make it look like a WWI Nieuport bipe. I had a lot of fun with that Honker bipe. Thanks for the comeback Andrew, and Good Flying.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:24 AM
Andrew

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Grampaw --

The monoplane was a Thorneburg design (6/73) and the Bipe came out about 9 months later -- it used the same wing, just two of 'em. Thorneburg also had another Jedelsky wing design published in early '81 called the Honker Rocket. It was essentially the original Honker planform, but with a more pleasing fuselage shape -- rounded corners, side cowled engine and gear. I think it was used by some clubs as a single class pylon racer and was engined with a COX TeeDee .051.

I checked my remaining wing last night -- the butt joint was epoxied with 30 minute epoxy and fiberglassed on the bottom. The monoplane would snap roll, but you couldn't keep it on its back-- anyway, the Black Widow would die if inverted for any length of time.

I had looked at the Bipe many years ago, but the thought of building two wings, although simple, was ...........

Regards,
Andrew

Search this Thread