Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

"SCOOP" Toki has a new owner

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

"SCOOP" Toki has a new owner

Old 01-15-2008, 09:02 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "SCOOP" Toki has a new owner

Will they make a small mill?
http://www.mecoa.com/toki/index.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 09:39 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: "SCOOP" Toki has a new owner

I don't know if they'll make any airplane versions but it would certainly be interesting to mod one of the 05's and one of the .12's for aircraft use. Cut down heads and new backplate to get rid of the starters and I think we'd have something.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:03 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got one of the little cars with the .05. It's got loads of power for that use. Since the car was $99 complete with radio, I expect the price of the replacement engines shouldn't be as bad as Tower was asking. (The car came from Horizon) Not to worry, though. Now that MECOA owns them, they likely will stop making engines...

Edit: Nope, the car was a closeout deal. The engine can be had from Horizon under the name Sportwerks, but is still a hundred bucks.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:58 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would rather see the 1/2A tractor-pull guys use these engines instead of wasting any more AMEs on that stuff.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:42 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toki has already produced aircraft versions of the .05 for control line and R/C. New backplate, mounting lugs, a smaller head, and a prop driver long enough to get the propellor away from the needle valve. There must be a longer nosed crankshaft as well. All MECOA needs to do is make them and then we need to buy them. We need an American sourced 1/2A!

A nice big picture may be found here:

[link=http://cltech.me.hit.edu.tw/modules/xoopsgallery/cache/albums/album01/Toki_05_1.jpg]Toki .05 aircraft engine[/link]
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
digital_trucker

...I've also heard they were basically duds...
Old 01-17-2008, 03:11 PM
nitro joe
My Feedback: (2)

Interesting little engine.

Could the poster referring
to it’s performance as a
“dud†please list their source.

I would like to read up on it.

Thanks
Old 01-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a possibly decent carb with airbleed -- might be adapted for other engines.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:06 PM
lildiesel

ORIGINAL: nitro joe

Interesting little engine.

Could the poster referring
to it’s performance as a
“dud†please list their source.

I would like to read up on it.

Thanks
I'd like to read up on the aircraft version, too.

BTW, it often seems that to many posters here anything that doesn't perform like a Tee Dee is a dud. I'd be interested in one even if it was just a reliable sport engine for control line or R/C.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:42 PM
ptulmer

Easytiger had one sent to him from overseas and posted the numbers. They were really bad. Comparable to a Surestart and on top of that it weighed 3.5oz. It's just calling a spade a spade in this case. Now, if it were less than fifty bucks and had potential...

Original thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...ey_toki/tm.htm
Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
combatpigg

.......to many posters here, there's no such thing as a dud........they're all special little engines in their very own way........
Old 01-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Toad

IF it cant hang with a good TD, its too feminine in my book
Old 01-17-2008, 08:18 PM
combatpigg

Toad, maybe not in Utah, but in some places they'll lock you up just for THINKING like that.

BTW, that's why I wear a foil liner under my baseball cap.
Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 PM
digital_trucker

Hmmm - it doesn't appear that there were ever any actual numbers posted from EASYTIGER in that thread. I'll wait until someone actually gets one, breaks it in, and reports their findings. 3 1/2 oz is gawdawful heavy though...might as well bolt on an OS LA. Again, it's using standard plugs *sigh*

ATTENTION ENGINE MANUFACTURERS: Look guys, you need to get with the program...really. With the sole exception of MP Jet, I have YET to see ANY engine in the .049-.061 range designed properly by modern standards (for R/C use, that is).
Old 01-17-2008, 10:22 PM
kersplat

I believe there is no one out there that is up to the challenge of producing a 1/2 A engine up to Roy Cox's standards. He proved it could be done, everybody else is technically challenged.[>:]
Old 01-17-2008, 10:28 PM
combatpigg

How much start up capitol do you think it would take to crank out a couple thousand quality 1/2A sport engines? Judging from the interest I see in 1/2A RC locally, this venture would have to be not for profit.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 PM
ptulmer

DT, check that thread again. The numbers are right there in the first post. One thing you gotta hand to Toki is that they tested it with real props, no paint sticks.

CP, I wonder about outsourcing the casting and rough machining out, then doing finishing and honing in-house. By the thousand, most shops would charge reasonable prices. I will admit the problem has bounced around my head a few times, but both computer and shop time have been elusive. When I find some....
Old 01-17-2008, 11:41 PM
lildiesel

I suppose the initial run would depend on what kind of parts inventory they acquired when the bought the engine production rights. I could see them building up as many of the aircraft version as practicable and selling those. Any continued production would probably depend on whether the car and truck companies that have used these engines are going to place orders. If they have to set up the machines and do the castings for the vehicle versions, the aircraft versions could be added to the production volume. I wonder if the 1/2A helicopter market would have much demand since Norvel is gone?

ORIGINAL: combatpigg
How much start up capitol do you think it would take to crank out a couple thousand quality 1/2A sport engines? Judging from the interest I see in 1/2A RC locally, this venture would have to be not for profit.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Toad

There is no market left for the 1/2a Heli.
I fly heli's too and the big rage right now in that size is the T-Rex 450 se mfg by Align, awesome little electric heli that can do anything and all that the bigger nitro ships do.
I have not seen a Lite Machine for over two yrs now at any heli event I attended, and that has been several. I still have two complete Lite Machine 110's still in the box from my old hobby store days. I just dont see anybody seriously taking the gamble on mass producing 1/2a engines again, at least not here in the states. No money in it.
Old 01-18-2008, 06:57 AM
SGC

Looking about the web, it apears the Toki 05 is also made as an 06 and 07 size , I wonder what the bigger capacity prop Nos would be ?
Stewart
Old 01-18-2008, 08:34 AM
DeviousDave

I'm guessing that the Toki .05 is just timed wayyy too wild for 1/2A flying on standard props. Put a 4.1-4.1 APC on it and run it on 35% and then tach it. The difference in RPM between the higher load and lower load props in that original thread tells me that it's not meant to spin a 6" prop....
Old 01-18-2008, 09:30 AM
ptulmer

DD, you might be onto something there. One thing about that little car is that once wound out, it really hauls. Sounds pretty cool, too. But I ran the numbers in ThrustHP and when the load goes up, the HP goes down. Quickly! Now I want to get my hands on one.[&:] Seems like it has real potential with a 4.2x4 and a tuned pipe.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:53 AM
digital_trucker

I don't want an engine built to Cox standards (except maybe in the area of fit and finish). I want a much more modern engine.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:49 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Toad

There is no market left for the 1/2a Heli.
I fly heli's too and the big rage right now in that size is the T-Rex 450 se mfg by Align, awesome little electric heli that can do anything and all that the bigger nitro ships do.
I have not seen a Lite Machine for over two yrs now at any heli event I attended, and that has been several. I still have two complete Lite Machine 110's still in the box from my old hobby store days. I just dont see anybody seriously taking the gamble on mass producing 1/2a engines again, at least not here in the states. No money in it.
I have a lite machines 116 with an (added) .074 plenty of power and several guys have put in .12 car engines in them with good success,,,mine flys ok but based on the bay prices when they rarely come up they are worthless.....Toad is right,, there is no market and LMH just made bad engine choices all the way around, first were the TD's then the Norvels...they are tough birds, but with all the electrics on the market? why would a new comer bother?...if I didnt have too much rc stuff now I would get the 450 t-rex that Toad is talking about....Rog
Old 01-18-2008, 09:56 PM
GrahamC

That TOKI sure is a pretty looking engine and looks pretty beafy. Weight is listed at 97.5 g (not sure if that is with or without muffler) - the TD is about 54g

Looks like an engine they tried to adapt to fly rc planes which basically it is. With a bit of creative metal removing I am sure you could get the weight down but I think seeing as it's parentage is as a rc car engine then DD and Patrick are probably right in that it would be best run with a small prop at higher RPM.

I don't think we will ever see something that will compete with the TD weight for weight and rpm for rpm. The TD design is very minimilist in nature where as these car engines and CS 049 GS/GZ's are rather more like their larger breathern resulting in something bulkier and heavier. Remember, the control 1/2a speed flies have all gone to the GS/GZ / Cylcon / Profi engines even though they are heavier ( the CS GS/GZ's approaching the weight of the Toki 05) because the TD's are just not up to it anymore (lack of good engines and spares primarily)

I emailed MECOA and asked if they had any intention of marketing an airplane version of any of the TOKI engines and am waiting on a reply. My guess is they are only going to market them as car engines.

A shame to spend that kind of money on something like this and have spent much time and effort triming it down - but it sure is pretty!

cheers, Graham

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.