Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Went to the field today

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Went to the field today

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 08:05 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Went to the field today

Its 22 miles away!!! geeezz and I thought the old field was too far at 7 miles out of town......might have to stick with park flying up the street, oh well, I already joined the AMA so I may as well join the club , guess who was there when I got there... the mean old guy that had the local hobby shop 10 years ago (he would throw things at you in the store) and the guy who was supposed to train me 10 years ago, who never showed up at the field when he told me to meet him...imagine my surprise and a few other folk one guy was training he did ok...wonder if I can still fly anything other than a parkflyer?
stay tuned............Rog
Old 04-16-2003, 12:26 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went to the club meeting tonight, met a about 10 real nice fellows and guess what?!! the big new news is.......there trying to build a new site 12 miles closer to town at the old land fill (well near it) where no one wants to build (for about 20 more years anyway) anything..me and the pres talked about locating a place for wome indoor winter flying and came up with at least 3 spots this should be a fun time coming...they offered to help with some training till I told them I was pretty familiar with the Parkflyers just need some practice with a small glow trainer,, and since thats what I'm designing/... I should be ok...... ..Rog
Old 04-16-2003, 01:09 AM
Lynn S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to drive 75 miles to a club field when I was learning to fly in the late 60s. I had crashed enough planes to know I needed help. Everybody at the field was very nice except one older guy who was always in a bad mood. I made the mistake of asking to borrow something from him once and he told me not to come back unless I joined the club. I joined the club and never made it back to the field because I started to college 400 miles away.
To this day I appreciate the member (Mr. Fanning) who did spend time with me in near 100 degree August heat until I could solo.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:00 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by Lynn S
To this day I appreciate the member (Mr. Fanning) who did spend time with me in near 100 degree August heat until I could solo.
Just curious, would that be Harold Fanning at the old Memphis R/C club or lately of the S.A.M. club in Olive Branch? If so, small world!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:46 PM
Lynn S

Dickybird-
Yes that was Harold Fanning. Glad to hear that he is still around.
That has been 35 yrs ago!
Old 04-16-2003, 12:58 PM
DICKEYBIRD

Originally posted by Lynn S
Yes that was Harold Fanning. Glad to hear that he is still around.
That has been 35 yrs ago!
Yep, I ran into him the other night at the Cracker Barrel....still looking spry and youthful! I'm pretty sure he's retired and still flying....nice, nice man.