Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Remember when...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remember when...?

Remember when you where a kid and you dreamed of flight. You had your 5 cent or 10 cent rubber band powered balsa free flight plane. You had to buy one every week because that is about their life span before they found a tree, roof top or what have you. You would dream and design in your head of how to build one you could fly. Check out this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lalFUzMi8&NR=1
Old 01-21-2008, 12:11 PM
wb4snu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Remember when...?

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

Remember when you where a kid and you dreamed of flight. You had your 5 cent or 10 cent rubber band powered balsa free flight plane. You had to buy one every week because that is about their life span before they found a tree, roof top or what have you. You would dream and design in your head of how to build one you could fly. Check out this video...

Man that was great. Too bad it didn't have enough power to take off. The way the wings were flexing I don't think it would have stayed up with out folding.
I can remember begging my mother for the 10 cents to buy the plane at the local 5 and 10 cent store. Mine had to be painted orange. If I remember right it had the colored paper with it. I don't remember what happened to them though. I guess they were flown and destroyed in a tree or weeds.
There was an old local airport next to an aunts house I used to visit. I would sneak over to it and sit in the planes and daydream of flying.

Richard
Old 01-21-2008, 01:06 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

There's no doubt that it was art. And a nice bit of whimsy it was. I just wish they had done a fade and storyboard that said "..... some time later...." and fade back to the winder guy struggling with the prop and the torque of the motor all but lifting him from the ground.....

It wouldn't have flown but the roll down the tarmac would still have been fun.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:17 PM
fozjared

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah a little roll would have been neat.. i remember going into the lhs, the one that i use now, as a kid and i remember getting these planes and flying them with my dad. we would spend hours flying those little planes even the foam gliders as well, we would try different rubber bands etc. but the most fun was winding one up right before dark and letting it fly towards the security light and watching a bat chase it, that was our pet bat cause we would let it chase our little plane around every night for quite some time! now he is so busy trying to get things in order for retirement that i can't get him to commit to learning, but he still loves to watch me fly, he fell in love with my gp j-3 cub and loves to see it fly! one of these days i will get him flying with me, but i will always remember the rubber band planes that brought us together in my youth.