Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

RC airplane recall did you know this

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

RC airplane recall did you know this

Old 01-24-2008, 01:36 PM
layback2
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC airplane recall did you know this

Risk of Explosion and Hearing Damage Prompts Recall of Remote Control Airplanes
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of Product: Sky Rangers Park Flyer Radio Control Airplanes

Units: About 21,000

Distributor: Estes-Cox Corp., of Penrose, Colo.

Hazard: The airplanes are launched by hand and can explode near the consumer's head, posing a risk of temporary hearing loss and injuries to eyes, face and hands.

Incidents/Injuries: Estes-Cox has received 45 reports of airplanes exploding, including 22 reports of consumers experiencing temporary ear pain or hearing being affected; five reports of minor burns to hands, faces or eyes; two reports of chest impact from debris; two reports of eye injuries; and one report of a cut hand. One consumer sought medical attention for burning eyes.

Description: This recall involves Model 4116 Sky Rangers Park Flyer radio control airplanes, which come with a black battery charger. The airplanes have a wingspan of about 14 inches, a light blue, white and orange polystyrene foam fuselage, and a copper coil on the rudder. Airplanes with a warning sticker on the fuselage near the on/off switch are not included in the recall.

Sold at: Hobby stores and other retailers nationwide from September 2005 through December 2006 for between $20 and $40.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should stop using the recalled airplanes immediately and contact Estes-Cox to verify that their plane is being recalled and for instructions on returning the airplane for a replacement product.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact Estes-Cox at (800) 576-5811 between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. MT Monday through Thursday, or visit the firm's Web site at www.estesrockets.com

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32576.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	859733  
Old 01-24-2008, 01:42 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: RC airplane recall did you know this

Wonder if this has anything to do with it...

somegeek
Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: somegeek

Wonder if this has anything to do with it...

somegeek
Oh, come on now somegeek. Only high quality products come out of China. Isn't that why all the manufacturers moved all those jobs over there in the first place - to improve quality.

Hogflyer
Old 01-24-2008, 02:23 PM
KidEpoxy

I thought if your product required lead paint, you had to have it made in china,
so I figured flying models would not be so leaddy

What is the technical deal on the explosion?
I know LiPo can fireball, but to the point of chest injury from foam plane debris?
Old 01-24-2008, 05:57 PM
dieFluggeister

Shoot.... Any time I fly EVERYBODY risks injury.

Hearing loss, 2nd degree burns, flying debris... sounds like a Cox product.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The warning pretty much wraps up everything that flying 1/2A glow has to offer.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM
eniac

It does read like a sales brochure for a day at the field, but what exactly is happening? I'm guessing bad batteries blowing? Are they drawing too much through the electronics and blowing that out? How does the warning label prevent explosions? Those must be powerful words.

eniac
Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The warning pretty much wraps up everything that flying 1/2A glow has to offer.
The ONLY model airplane I ever lost to fire was a nice all black Baby Ringmaster 1/2A C/L model that I built and flew in about 1968. Cox Baby Bee. It popped with a single turn of the crankshaft on a hand spin and then actually caught on fire, for some odd reason. The bit of overflow from the tank and the bit of excess prime was the early part of the nearly invisible alcohol fire...followed by the Aerogloss black dope covered model...

I am not going to sit around and badmouth 1/2A for a freak occurance, but it is worth mentioning for a more even handed overall view...

Lighten up on the electric stuff.....any form of model airplane is fun and they all have their issues.

Interestingly, the recall has nothing to do with bad lipos. The model is powered by nickle metal cells that are charged in place in the model. The batteries are venting hydrogen gas in the power compartment of the model while being fast charged....when the power is turned on and if the hydrogen and air mix inside the model happens to be just right...boom...

Old 01-25-2008, 05:45 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

I had the same sort of fire once in a black widow powered c/l model. I think it was called the SST or something like that - super simple trainer. It wasn't black, so even though you couldn't see the alcohol flames, I could see the paint changing color. Managed to get the fire out, start the engine and fly it!

That was a fun plane - it had a trike landing gear on a c/l plane, you could actually set it down on a parking lot while flying and "taxi" a lap or two, then back up in the air...

Old 01-26-2008, 12:47 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what...the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened? There was at least one recall of these things a year or so ago...or...
Maybe it was the "Air Hogs" series?
Old 01-26-2008, 05:23 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

[quote]ORIGINAL: proptop

This is what...the 2nd or 3rd time this has happened? There was at least one recall of these things a year or so ago...or...
Maybe it was the "Air Hogs" series?
[\quote]

There was at least one other recall, that did involve a sub one oz model with a little bitty lithium battery that could get overcharged or overdrawn enough to catch on fire in a few rare cases.