Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Un-Sure Shark

Old 01-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Digger-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Un-Sure Shark

Greetings all,
I have been camping out on my couch for the last two weeks following foot surgery, and when I found myself yelling into an otherwise empty house at the "Women" on "The View", I knew I had to get something to occupy my brain.

So, I took Dave's wonderfull SureShark kit and had me a build.

I really liked the short-kit. Easy to build, and the final product seems strong and lite (Mine weighs in at 12.2 oz ready to fly).

I did her with an unthrottled Norvel 049 and no rudder. Seems planes are easyer to build when you only have to arrange for two servos.

I am a little concerned about what the maiden will be like. She looks pretty fast. Untrimmed and unthrottled could make for a really eventful flight.

In years past on this board there was great rivalry between the Cox and the Norvel guys. As I am a "Norvelite" I have named her the Un-Sure Shark. Kinda like 7-up was the Un-Cola (You're old if you remember that ad campaign)

Anyway,

Here are some pictures.

Digger

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92615.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	863939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86392.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	863940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78499.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	863941   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ga77782.jpg
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	863942  
Old 01-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Un-Sure Shark

Very nice job! I understand your concerns about the unthrottled engine on the maiden. I'll be facing the same dilemna when my Skydrill is done.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
ProBroJoe

Nice... I like the "chomp" marks! (Hard to resist playing up the shark theme, isn't it?)

Did you ever see my SureShark video that I posted a while ago? I'm running a full 4ch. set-up with the AP .061. With the AP spinning an APC 5.7x3 at 18,500 RPM, it climbs out on launch pretty much hands-off, and really isn't that fast... I was immediately comfortable with the SureShark - it grooves real nice and believe it or not, it slows down to near-trainer like speeds on landing. I don't think you'll have a problem with it, even with no throttle... (I'm actually considering building the tapered wing and throwing on one of the Norvel AME .061s that I have here to kick it up a notch.)

Anyway, hope the foot heals soon, and do let us know how you make out...

-Joe

Old 01-28-2008, 09:04 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Very Cool! The graphics really say it all, that engine looks kinda BIG on the nose for some reason to me. Could be the shark.

What about some specs ,the span & wing area?

Hope the injury heals without trouble.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:43 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tee Bee

Very nice job! I understand your concerns about the unthrottled engine on the maiden. I'll be facing the same dilemna when my Skydrill is done.
How about detuning the engine with an extra head gasket or two and a fine pitch prop an inch oversized?
Old 01-28-2008, 10:49 PM
digital_trucker

One of the reasons the Revlite BigMig looks so big is the oversize head fins (because of the anodizing, I understand).
Old 01-29-2008, 09:34 AM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Digger, nice job! I like the graphics a lot. If you're concerned about speed on the first flight you can use the old trick of putting the prop on backwards and running on the rich side. But, as Joe said, the SS is not a pylon racer so it's really not terribly fast. Once it's trimmed out it will hold whatever heading you give it. Thanks for the photos.

David
Old 01-29-2008, 09:38 AM
flyinrog

Digger I have flown Daves plain with a Cox .049 on it....maybe start it up and go back a few clicks on the needle.... so its a tad rich, but its a smooth flying plane...or just start with a half a tank,,,its almost trainer like........Rog.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Digger-RCU

Thanks for the comments y'all, I will report back once she takes to the air.

I think the reason the engine looks a little big is that it is sitting out farther than typical because I used a JKA slickmount. I had to put a larger firwall in it, and it adds weight and pushes the motor forward some. The benefits are that the engine, mount, and tank are all one piece. It is very easy and as the name implies "Slick".

Thanks again everyone.

Digger
Old 01-29-2008, 02:36 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Nice! I like your covering scheme.

I have a few SS short kits along with the proper compliment of balsa and silk... just need to order some dope. Next or 2nd to next in my build queue.

somegeek
Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Max_Power

Nice plane!! I feel ya on the foot surgery! I had 2+ months off my right foot this last year and it was rough! I think between guillows models,Dumas Rubber power,GWS warbirds , And the excellent HERR kits (cloud ranger,aquastar) I built about 7-8 birds less servos and Rx all from my Laz-Z-Boy with a cork board on my lap and crawling around the house for glue,pins, whatever else I forgot to ask my Lady to grab for me before she went to work!!lol Good luck on your recovery, and enjoy the downtime and relax!!!! I know you prolly know this one , but one idea is you can use a solid brass tube bent to the bottom of the tank on a "speed" plane instead of a clunk and just roll inverted for a "killswitch" on a non throttled plane. Unless the tank is pretty empty sometime you have to hold a bit of negative g for a few secs. I know the lack of throttle really intimidated me for a long time , and I think is what kept me away from control-line as a kid!, Good Luck, and really nice job on your 'Shark!!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:27 PM
franklin_m

I've seen Digger's plane in person (we fly togther) and the pictures though great, don't do it justice. The detail in the shark decal is superb, I myself wouldn't even think of attempting that level of detail. Most of the time, I'm lucky to make a straight line in Monokote, let alone something like that.

Now if I can just find time to start my Sure Shark.....
Old 02-04-2008, 01:25 PM
Digger-RCU

I have a report on this plane. Most of you likely already know that this is a great flyer, but I had the most fun I have had in a long time. It was so great to get back to true 1/2a flying.

I am slowly hobbling around and Frank M. was doing my launching.
We used 6x3 for the initial flights and she flew really well. Not fast, but with lots of authority. When Frank flew her, he was almost able to get her to hang on the prop.

Then I put the 5.7x3 apc prop on her, and it was like a different airplane. MUCH faster! I kept laughing at myself because I couldnt stop reaching for the (do nothing) throttle in a silly attempt to slow her down.

This is a GREAT plane. It you haven't gotten one yet, GET ONE!

I cant wait to build a full house one next.

I think the real beauty of this plane is that it weighs so little compared to it's size. Dave has done a great job, because it is really strong too. (Believe me, I wrung it out!)

I hope there are larger versions coming soon.

Digger

Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out well for ya.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:28 PM
franklin_m

As Digger's "co-pilot," I couldn't have said it better myself. Dave did a great job with this one, and I too highly recommend it for anyone waiting in the wings to buy one. It's fast, but not wildly so, just enough that you have to pay attention, but not so much that it's not smile inducing fun from the moment it leaves your hand until it lands.

Dave, I can only imagine what fun a .15 size version would hold. Sign me up for plans/kit when you get it done!

Frank M.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:52 PM
ProBroJoe

See... ain't nuttin' to be afraid of - it grooves real nice, doesn't it? [8D]

Add a rudder and throttle and I think it's even more fun!

Check it out: http://home.comcast.net/~jbwebst/SureShark2.wmv

-Joe
Old 05-31-2008, 10:57 PM
franklin_m

After not building a kit in way too long, I finally got my Sure Shark completed. Much thanks goes to Digger RCU who looked it over for me, and corrected a couple things, before first flight.

I'm happy to report it flew great, and couldn't be happier. Photo shown below.

Frank

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69288.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	961263  
Old 06-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

Greetings all,
I have been camping out on my couch for the last two weeks following foot surgery, and when I found myself yelling into an otherwise empty house at the "Women" on "The View", I knew I had to get something to occupy my brain.

So, I took Dave's wonderfull SureShark kit and had me a build.

I really liked the short-kit. Easy to build, and the final product seems strong and lite (Mine weighs in at 12.2 oz ready to fly).

I did her with an unthrottled Norvel 049 and no rudder. Seems planes are easyer to build when you only have to arrange for two servos.

I am a little concerned about what the maiden will be like. She looks pretty fast. Untrimmed and unthrottled could make for a really eventful flight.

In years past on this board there was great rivalry between the Cox and the Norvel guys. As I am a "Norvelite" I have named her the Un-Sure Shark. Kinda like 7-up was the Un-Cola [b](You're old if you remember that ad campaign)[/b]

Anyway,

Here are some pictures.

Digger

NO I'M NOT! I'm a Toys 'r Us Kid

Nice Shark.
Old 06-01-2008, 06:07 AM
ProBroJoe

Very nice Frank!
Old 06-01-2008, 11:08 AM
lildiesel

Last time I built a hot 2 ch without a throttle I put the plane in the electrical wires on the maiden flight.

ORIGINAL: Digger-RCU

Old 06-01-2008, 01:37 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

5.7x3 eh? What about lighting it up with a 5.5x4 or 5.25x4 now? Get that pitch speed up!
Old 06-01-2008, 04:32 PM
rainedave

I've been flying my Reedie Shark with an APC 5x3. It's noticeably - but not a lot - faster than the 5.7x3. But, the engine unloads better and I get smoother more steady runs.

David
Old 06-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Digger-RCU

Frank's shark flew GREAT!
Really good looking too. Frank missed out on the whole white knuckle think on the maiden as it flew right out of my hand when I tossed it. He said it needed only one click of trim. Some guys have all the luck! Also, I guess it pays to be miles away from the nearest power lines.

I cant say enough good things about this plane.

They are just tooo much fun!

We started his plane on a 5.7x3 and it flew well, but after the prop broke, we swapped my one black cox 5x3 and got several flights in. That prop seems to really hook up on the norvel 049 engine.

Are these props still available?

Dave, thanks again for a great flying plane.

Digger