Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

How big is 1/2A

Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
peteapilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How big is 1/2A

what is the wing span of each?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:39 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ??????

Pete, I'll do my best to decipher your question:
1/2a means .049 engines,
1/8a would be .010's.
In this forum, we generally will deal with anything under .15 power.
"Tiny" planes by todays standards.
Dave
Old 01-30-2008, 09:46 PM
peteapilot

THANKS DAVE I AM JUST GETTING THIS PLACE FIGURED OUT IM BUILDING A GUILLOWS SOPWITH CAMEL 28IN WANT TO GO ELECT. LOOKS DOABLE MUST BEEF UP WING SPARS KNOW ANYONE DOING SAME
Old 01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

28" is about right for a biplane using a reedie, or the T.D. 020, if it is light enough. Electrics are not much talked about here as this is a glow powered forum, at least as most here enjoy.

A 36" span would be a standard for a glow powered monoplane, as far as I see it.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: How big is 1/2A

Pete, welcome aboard to RCU.

A couple of things that will help us to help you in the future. First please no more threads that use punctuation marks for titles. It hurts the brain too much trying to figure out what the subject is about. Second it really helps to describe your question or comment a lot more than your first post. It hurts the brain too much trying to figure out what you want.

Modifying GUillows kits seems to be a popular pastime. At least going electric you can pick a motor and pack that is more suitable for the size and weight. I gotta warn you though. The GUillows kits of this style of model are better as display models than flying models. Beefing up the spars is just one of the many things you'll need to do to make this a proper flyable model. My own opinion is that the mods are more trouble than the kit's cut parts are worth and that it is better to start out with purpose made plans for a flying version that handles the structural details in a better manner.

But if you're up for a challenge then you've got the right kit!

A good motor for it would be one of the smaller ones that is between 19 to 27 grams in weight and will handle about 7 amps. Look for one that is rated for around a 7 to 8 inch diameter prop on 2 cells. I just found a lot of that style of motor at one of the RCU sponsors. www.hobbycity.com
Old 01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: How big is 1/2A

PETEAPILOT!! THE SPARS ARE THE HEART OF THE PLANE!! I WOULD USE AT LEAST 3/16"x3/16" HARD BALSA!! TOP AND BOTTOM!! 1/16" PLYWOOD DIHEDRAL BRACES!! THEN MODIFY THE RIBS TO FIT!!