Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Stealth Sport flew!!!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Stealth Sport flew!!!

Old 04-17-2003, 10:45 AM
Mavericman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stealth Sport flew!!!

It really did! I didn't fly it, but i hand launched it for the guy! I came to the field and met a guy named Chris. I talked to him for a while, then i mentioned that i had a plane. I brought it out, and he said it would be very hard to learn on. I still wanted to see it fly, so i said you go ahead and take it up. He told my how to launch. Point it level, and give it a firm toss. I did. It took off sideways and slow. I was amazed, i built something that could become airborne. I was afraid that it would stall, going that slow, but around that first corner, it began to gain speed. It was barely blowing out, but you could see it in the plane. it was being bounced all over the place! after doing the circle pattern, for about 2 minutes, he came in for a dead stick landing. Perfect. right next to me. so what do you think? Can i learn on it? He said he was barely breathing on the controls. He told me to get a 1/2a trainer so i can swap out everything. Or i should get a simulator. It flew straight and he barely had to mess w/ the trims. he said i built it well. Thanks for your help!!!
Old 04-17-2003, 10:49 AM
wild fred
My Feedback: (3)

turn your throws way down and fly over tall grass and you should be o.k. as far as learning on it, that's how my freinds all learned, flying 1/2a hornets(a pylon racer!) and pappillons and- stealth sports- you WILL break it a few times, but you have showed determination to get the black widow going, I think you will do just fine
Old 04-17-2003, 02:13 PM
Tumbleweed-RCU

The main question here is if you understand the basics of flight. Anyone can master R/C with a whole lot of money and the I can re-build it attitude. If you have a trainer jack on your radio have someone get it in the air and then take control of it. The hardest part of flying is the landing. Anyone can keep it in the air but landing a deadstick plane is the most difficult aspect. Some may disagree but look at it this way, there is no go around once the engine is gone. Keep at it, I taught myself and damn proud of it. granted you can look at my callsign and tell how long it took me. "Tumbleweed" it's not just a name it's a way to fly (or if you prefer the way the plane rolls across the ground in a parade of flying balsa. If you've got the money why not try a Duraplane trainer. The .20 otta do ya pretty good. www.Towerhobbies.com has a good combo. Though I'm sure you may be able to find a cheaper one. This path will help you with the basics but I believe flying 1/2A's takes a bit more reaction time.

Hope some of this helps. Goodluck. BTW I've only got one plane right now, I just can't stay away from the 2ft. above the ground inverted passes.
Old 04-17-2003, 05:22 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Your Lazy bee, Gentle Lady would be much easier to learn on. If it was me knowing what I know now this is what I'd do.

I'd cut the nose off the GL, put your motor on it, rebalance it, set the control surfaces with no more than 3/8" movement. I'd put 30 seconds of fuel in it, if someone there knows how to fly let him trim it for you, if they have a buddy box setup use it.

That's my free advice.
Old 04-17-2003, 08:10 PM
Mavericman

This is what i plan on doing. set the throws low on the stealth sport , and have chris or another trainer person to take it up then give me the controls. I think i will be fine, since i picked up on the lazy bee pretty quickly. he also suggested that he bring out one of his recievers and radios, and hook up a buddy box to it. my single stick dosent have that feature. i just dont wanna but a trainer, just so i can fly this plane.
Old 04-21-2003, 02:00 AM
Mavericman

went out again saturday night. Chris was there what a
co inncodence. Still kind of windy, so he flew it. This plane has a total of 3 flights all of which were succesful. i dont wanna mess it up!! But i have to take the ignitionative and go fly it!! i wanna be able to do a split s by the end of my spring break!! (next weekend)