Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Suitable 1/2A Servos?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Suitable 1/2A Servos?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Fravits

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suitable 1/2A Servos?

Hi Everyone

I just picked up a Hitec Laser 4 from the local chain hobby emporium. Four people on staff and, after finally had to sit on someones chest in order to get service, I got some answers to my questions, sort of. My sales associate, quite well versed in both cars, boats and helicopters, was at a loss as to whether or not the servos included were suitable for 1/2 A, or what 1/2A even was for that manner. The servos, Hitec HS-55s sure are tiny. I am currently running Cox reedies and TT GP-07s in planes 30 to 40 inches in span. I also have a couple of 72 inch R/O sailplanes, too. Are these little guys up to the job or should I just use them in my electric bird and get something bigger for the gas jobs. Thanks for the help.

Reid
Old 02-06-2008, 10:45 PM
longdan

Default RE: Suitable 1/2A Servos?

HS55 servos are fine for small 1/2A planes. I remember reading somewhere that Hitec specifically state that they are built to withstand the abuse of being mounted in a glow powered plane. They are a lot better than similar sized 'no-name brand' servos. Just be sure to use rubber grommets. I find that I have to drill out the mounting holes to fit the rubber mounts.
Of course, there are better ones if your willing to part with the $$$.
Not sure how the HS55s would do in a 72" sailplane.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:53 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

longdan - are there limitations to the HS55 use in a glow powered plane regarding the engine size? Over on the profile brotherhood site, those guys swear off the 55s for throttle stating they break down over time but I'm wondering if they didn't mount them properly with rubber to absorb the vibrations? Would be nice to use a smaller servo for throttle on the profile plane I am building.

somgeeek
Old 02-06-2008, 10:58 PM
longdan

I can understand that. Many people think that the throttle servo can be the smallest weakest servo available because it does the least work. But in fact, it has a direct link to the source of vibration via the throttle linkage. Rubber grommets can only do so much in this situation.
Who needs a throttle on a 1/2A plane anyway[>:]
I wouldn't use them on anything bigger than .061.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:19 AM
eroc144
My Feedback: (1)

My experience with the 55's is that they're a bit on the fragile side. I've had gears strip on several of them and only use them on throttle anymore. In the Hitec line, the HS65's are the real champ - Almost as much torque as an HS81 with the weight of an HS55. Of course they run you $20 but I've never had one strip or konk out. Of course now I've just sealed my fate...

EG
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM
digital_trucker

Yup, HS-65's with the carbonite gears
Old 02-07-2008, 06:47 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

i use hs 81's with no probem that way i have a little more safety but i also like 55 one stripped the gears on crash nose in on one of my 1/2a ship
Old 02-07-2008, 10:04 PM
tewitt1949

I started out with the 81's and had gear striping problems on 3 servos. Just from hanger rash. Then I went to 55's and have had no problems at all. One plane has the 55's in a q-tee with a cox td.09 and still no problems. (knock on wood). As of yet I haven't mounted them in rubber but its a good idea and any new planes will get rubber mounted servos. I have noticed the teeth on the gears for the 55's are a lot a lot bigger than the 81's They compare to a fine thread bolt to a course thread bolt.