Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

possible motor?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:56 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default possible motor?

Many on this forum may not be aware that a thread was started on a few of the controlline forums to in effect start an email campaign to Fox motors to reissue or create a new motor to satisfy the demand for this displacement, I dutifully sent my email in asking for their consideration in the matter. I received a reply which is in this thread. If you reqlly are seerious about wanting a 1/2A motor available in this country this is really your best shot at it. Granted the people that want an all out specialized motor for their purposes might be left out but if they reissued the Fox FAI special you have a 20K motor and that isn't too shabby for most sport flyers. Don't demand when you write, we need a show of support and a reasonable demand to justify their undertaking this project. If this dies then I guess we will have to do with Cox and Norvel reminants untill their gone.
Here is the email that I received and probably all that submitted requests for an engine to be manufactures

Subject: FOX 0.049 Re-Issue

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much for your emails asking us about re-issuing the Fox 0.049. We've
started getting more inquiries about this engine.

Here's our situation: we would need to charge $85.00 a unit and sell a minimum of 600 a year.

We would welcome your feedback on the price.

If it's too high for all of you we won't look into this any further.

Also please feel free to forward this email and information to fellow modelers because the
more of you who show an interest, the closer we get to a FOX .049 re- issue.

Email your thoughts about the price or the demand for this engine to us @ [email protected]

Happy landings,

The Crew at Fox

P.S. What do you think about a Fox .07 and mainly the Fox .10 ??
Old 02-07-2008, 07:42 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: possible motor?

I suspect that between the 1/2A faithful and collectors that they would reach the 600 for the first year but after that I suspect it would fall on it's nose.

If they did a run of a thousand and just sold them until gone I think they could do OK. Likely it would take 3 or maybe 4 years to sell them all at that price.

I wish it was otherwise but there just isn't enough of us around. Especially since the folks that just want to fly can still easily get used Cox engines without a big problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:48 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dennis, we tried this with OS over in the engine forum but the mod over there said we couldnt post in that forum, we could only ask questions and he would answer them...they were actually making a collectible .049, but they werent for sale..they were for promo people only...I have heard of the Fox .049 but never seen one .....but I guess I can email Fox and throw in my 2 cents.....Rog
Old 02-07-2008, 09:38 PM
dennis

Well for the time being the post is there and as I'm not offering an engine for sale or representing Fox in any way I"d like to think that I was within acceptable guidelines of the forum. No, in spite of what you might think about Fox the small series. 049 both standard and FAI, 07 and 10 were very good motors in their day. Duke was smart enough to make a real head plug and do an acceptable job on the combustion design, plus the 049 had the option of tank or radial mounting. I owned all of them and can say with certainty that they offered true value for the money. Now why did they die, simple, No one not even Fox could stand up to that juggernat of a manufacturer, L.M.Cox and their production. He finally got tired of beating himself up and dropped the line. They were not bad motors just too many of the same thing at the same time, Isn't that a state that we would all like to be in today.
Oh and i did get the FAI Fox up to aboput 22K back then. Life time was very good on the motor. However I'm sure that you will still need 25% castor oil for them.
Dennis
Old 02-07-2008, 09:55 PM
lildiesel

Virginia Hobby Sport still lists them on their website -- both the regular .049 and the FAI freeflight version, which is allowed in vintage competitions. Must be NOS.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:03 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Fox has made a generous proposal and I would certainly buy one if I knew in advance that the power is there. The problem is that there are still too many 1/2A engines available through other sources. I think Bruce is right, they might reach the target in the first year. I think they should bide their time and wait for all the Surestarts to get recycled into beer cans, first.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:14 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh yay, more decades-old technology. No way I would pay $85 for an engine (for everyday sport use) that lacks; 1) a true muffler, 2) a well-designed and functional R/C carb, 3) either turbo plugs or a glow head/insert, and 4) relatively modern design.

They'd be fine for vintage purposes or collectors, I suppose. Now, if I were in the market for a competition engine all bets are off...but that's not what we're talking about here.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 PM
ptulmer
My Feedback: (5)

Dennis, depending on the props used to obtain those numbers, they could be decent motors. But at $85 I'm more likely to toss a few more bucks in and get a G&Z or Fora and I'm not terribly likely to do that. On the other hand, if Fox actually put pen to paper and engineered a brand new motor using lessons learned from VA, Fora, etc, I would buy half a dozen for that price.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
SGC

excactly what PT said
Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 AM
dennis

I agree, I don't think that the older designs would be offered as they were sold off awhile ago and you are all correct that the times have changed since the 60's. But the whole point of this post is that we'll never know unless we make a little noise to
Fox saying that we want a decent 1/2A engine.I wouldn't worry about production numbers yet. lets see if ewe can get one made first.
dennis
Old 02-08-2008, 09:11 AM
Yuu

Remember about a month ago I posted a blurb about someone assembling Fox .049 engines from left-over stock, and selling them. I think it was in Model Aviation... or Flying Models. It was in a monthly column... like 'Free Flight' or ..??? And they were a LONG way from $85.00
EDIT: Old Cox Engines thread, 6943299 post # 10; Dec. 2007 Model Aviation, page 86.
oops! old FOX engine thread...
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are here...

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/
Old 02-08-2008, 03:14 PM
DeviousDave

I would gladly pay $85 for an American made .049, but it has to at least be on par with A Big-Mig .049. Don't even care if it has a throttle. Needs to make good power and have an effective muffler. Shouldn't be hard to do. I don't even care if it's got a bar stock case and plain bearings.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:55 PM
cutaway

FWIW -- Fox's list price is usually around 2X what the dealer will pay for'em. I have a friend who is a Fox dealer and I've seen the dealer price lists. If you have a dealer who will cut you a break, then the price won't be nearly as bad as $80.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
lildiesel

Fox .049 FAI Good looking little devil. Just needs an annular exhaust collector and a muffler that bolts onto a flange off the collector.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:39 PM
OzMo

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Fox has made a generous proposal and I would certainly buy one if I knew in advance that the power is there. The problem is that there are still too many 1/2A engines available through other sources. I think Bruce is right, they might reach the target in the first year. I think they should bide their time and wait for all the Surestarts to get recycled into beer cans, first.
Are we suposed to do this by using up our surestarts or drinking more beer to increase demand for cans..... both works for me
Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

OzMo, you better work fast, I'll bet you can sqeeze a six pack of cans out of a single Surestart.?