Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Anyone know Lazy Bee CG?

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Anyone know Lazy Bee CG?

Old 02-09-2008, 02:11 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone know Lazy Bee CG?

I almost have my Lazy Bee ready for flight testing with the Queen Bee. I calcilated 25% of MAC at 3.56 in based on the 14.25 in wing chord. This is a good 1/2 inch in front of the spar and the short tail moment makes me think this is to far forward. Does anyone here have one and might be able to tell me what the original position is?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67948.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	873974  
Old 02-09-2008, 06:20 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Anyone know Lazy Bee CG?

Stang, it will fly at 25%, but I worked the CG back on mine to the point where it was almost too twitchy, then fine tuned the elevator throw. I scratch built one the size of yours and powered it with a .15. The dead stick glide will let you know if you got it right, plus checking the elevator trim after you land is an indicator. I'm betting that with the little engine, you wont need to work the throttle very much.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:59 PM
misfitsailor
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 1/8" back from the leading edge for the Lazy Bee ARF, 3 3/4" for plans/kit built. (Sources: the ARF booklet and the original Clancy plans for the 40" Lazy Bee.)

Flavor to suit. Start a little nose heavy to reduce the excitement on maiden flight.
Old 02-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Stang, it will fly at 25%, but I worked the CG back on mine to the point where it was almost too twitchy, then fine tuned the elevator throw. I scratch built one the size of yours and powered it with a .15. The dead stick glide will let you know if you got it right, plus checking the elevator trim after you land is an indicator. I'm betting that with the little engine, you wont need to work the throttle very much.
I figured the same thing on the throttle so I just wired it open
Old 02-10-2008, 12:47 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: misfitsailor

4 1/8" back from the leading edge for the Lazy Bee ARF, 3 3/4" for plans/kit built. (Sources: the ARF booklet and the original Clancy plans for the 40" Lazy Bee.)

Flavor to suit. Start a little nose heavy to reduce the excitement on maiden flight.
Thanks for the data. That 4 1/8 looks about right... puts it right on the main spar. Yes, mine is the ARF.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:36 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Stang, somehow I figured that you wired it WOT. Even with a .15 I spent 99% of the time WOT, to get the plane in the "aerobic zone". Without ailerons [flaperons] the plane is pretty amazing but within 5 minutes you can see everything that the plane can do. If I try another, it will have 4 channels and slightly more power. A true 1/2A version would have to be a real skeleton of a ship to be a crowd pleaser
Old 02-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Mr67Stang

I'm not expecting to much "Wow" factor out of this plane other than "Wow, it actually flies!" It is a throw togther of parts I have. Here is a link to a video of me flying one of my lates planes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BllgtC4e0vw