Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

wing tip plates

Old 04-19-2003, 10:47 PM
qfrc flier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wing tip plates

hey guys ,
one of the oldtimers told me to add a plate to the wing tips about 1/4 " larger than the original air foil to help the wing not to stall as quickly. he said it keeps the air flowing over the wing and not flowing of the tips of the wings.does anyone have or know of some plce i could view some different designs and do they really work good?

thanks joel
Old 04-19-2003, 11:45 PM
SST
My Feedback: (2)

Default wing tip plates

Had tip plates on my wanderer and they improved low-speed control quite a bit. My buddy had the same model without 'em and said there was a major difference. I had good control while landing, and never could tip stall that bird. I liked them so much that I added some to my SST .40, and as many of my non-scale birds as possible. I start at the leading edge and gradually open away from the wing surface until I have 3/4"-1" wall on top and 1/2-3/4" on the bottom. I also pull the upper TE of the plate slightly past the TE of the wing. The wing 'thinks' it's longer because low-pressure flow is kept on the airfoil, while the plate acts as a fence keeping high-presure bypass airflow from being drawn over the wing surface, destroying tip lift.
Old 04-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default Tips....

Hi Joel,

What SST said. And, there are some articles around written by Ed Moorman. Ed's a engineer and did quite a bit of testing and research on different style wing tips. Ed's findings concur pretty much with SST's experience. I've seen the flat plate style tip used on several full scale Cubs used in STOL applications...They work..... Rgds, jeff...