Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Any info on this 1cc engine????

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Any info on this 1cc engine????

Old 02-13-2008, 03:21 PM
asmund

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any info on this 1cc engine????

Does anyone recognise this little engine and know anything about it? Any good? How`s power comared to Norvel .061?
I have googled but came up empty handed
Here it is, the top engine just click on the picture to enlarge the image:

http://www.airmedia.se/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=17
Old 02-13-2008, 03:29 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Any info on this 1cc engine????

Yes, I happen to have two of those... (only fairly local source I've found for this engine size)

It is the CS/Brodak 0.061 RC and there is quite a lot of information on those on this forum already. To make a long story short the quality is really, really low and the design takes you back more than 20 years. I haven't quite given up on mine, yet, and plan to have another go this weekend if the weather permits.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:44 PM
Max_Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I've read here....... the coin in the picture isnt for size reference....Its what the engine is actually worth based on performance,lol I don't own one, nor have I seen one run...and surely don't mean to slam a product. But I've failed to find a account of anybody impressed with theirs. Todd
Old 02-13-2008, 04:12 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

En liten söt glödstiftsmotor på 1 kubikcentimeter.
Well no wonder they don't run well. It is obviously set up to be too stiff a fit. But it's better than the next two items that are made from slag.....
Old 02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Mr Cox

With the week US dollar at the moment that coin is actually worth about 1.5$ and the engine costs 59$...
Old 02-13-2008, 04:21 PM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

En liten söt glödstiftsmotor på 1 kubikcentimeter.
Well no wonder they don't run well. It is obviously set up to be too stiff a fit. But it's better than the next two items that are made from slag.....
I wish...!

(a direct translation would be: A qute little glowplug engine of 1 cc)
Old 02-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Max_Power

Sorry Mr. Cox, wasnt trying to be mean. That was my (perhaps feeble)attempt at humorous way to say that it seems from information here on the forum that many who have these engines feel they produce less power than a $6.99 Cox SureStart or a $35 AP Wasp. It is a bit confusing trying to figure out which comments refer to which generation of engines....But I was simply trying to convey to the original poster not to assume these things ran like a Norvel. I almost bought one at that shop that borders the AMA site in Muncie on my vacation, but after reading some posts I'm way glad I saved my money for the next shop down the road that had 2 NIB Big Migs hiding in a cubbyhole...... My apologies If I offended you...I surely hope you are the one to report some good runs out of yours!! Todd
Old 02-13-2008, 05:08 PM
asmund

Thanks everybody. I better treat my Norvel 061 Big Mig well then so I don`t have to order this one

Are there none decent 061 made anymore (not counting the AP which can be decent sometimes and sometimes not)
Old 02-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Gee guys I'm not disagreeing with youse all but I feel obligated to say that I'm satisfied with my CS and Brodak engines. Hey, before you fire off a flaming PM let me define "satisfied". One of the clubs I belong too (and where I do most of my flying) does not permit non-muffled engines - period. These engines have mufflers. How effective they are isn't an issue; they hang out there on one side of the engine and that's all I need. The throttles work just fine; they slow down enough for landing and open up enough for whatever top speed they produce.

But one of the other advantages is that I'm not using my Norvels up. In fact I have four NIB Norvels that I keep under my pillow at night. No my wife hasn't said a word. Yeah, at MY house I'M THE KING! (OK they're under the mattress and she doesn't know they're there).
Old 02-13-2008, 06:51 PM
Max_Power

Hey Raymond...No flames coming from here...you seem to own SEVERAL of these units so your opinion definitely has more to stand on than my assumptions from other's posts and performance reports. And I hear ya on the muffler issue, this new year my club changed its ruleboard from "no un-muffled engines over .15" to "All engines require mufflers" I honestly think the volunteer sign painter(new rules board this year) took this liberty upon himself and I'm still trying to find out if this rule was voted on...I'm not paying my dues till I know If I can still run my Cox engines. I'm soon moving from tropical Texas to Minnesota anyway, and I hear the noise freezes as soon as it leaves the exhaust port there!!lol. But seriously.... Acknowledging you seem happy with the CS/Brodak on a noise/throttleability basis, if not on performance as well, How do you feel the Wasp compares? Is there something others are missing as far as performance/prop selection?(Don't get me wrong, I can surely see the merits of a smooth/easy tuning engine compared to a "Screamer" in some airframes" Did the Brodak just get a bad rap?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Raymond, I shouldn't need to remind you that you are under oath here. Now Sir, is it not true that in the past you have also testified to being "satisfied" with the Cox QueenBee .074? [X(]

..... or are you going to pull a "Roger Clemons" here and claim that you "mis-remembered" saying anything of the sort about the QB .074?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:20 PM
mylamo
My Feedback: (1)

Max,Come three hundred miles south and you will
be in tropical Texas.We need more 1/2 A ers down
here.By the way, giants in Weslaco end of month.
Ralph
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 PM
gabe200
My Feedback: (21)

im real happy with my cs ,061 runs great after break in and im getting a few more
Old 02-14-2008, 05:36 AM
Mr Cox

Good for you, then please tell us all your secrets...
What numbers (rpm) do you get out?
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
asmund

My Norvel produce 18400 rpm on APC 6-3 running 30%, I lost 500 rpm`s by going from the open venturi to the rc-carb (18900 rpm previously) But the Norvel runs great and throttles great too.

How will this CS engine stack up powervise, any tach figures out there??
Old 02-14-2008, 11:15 AM
gabe200

theres no secrets it runs good it flys my plane i use a 6x3 prop 25%fuel with lots of castor i know the quality on some is it or miss but what else is avaliable norvel is gone the 6.99 cox is gone we have the wasp its hit or miss too i have a couple of them i have lots of cox engines if i want to fly fast i just use my 40 size planes
Old 02-14-2008, 11:23 AM
gabe200

heres what im getting on 6x3 prop 25%fuel 16500 the only thing i dont like is the carb i like to swap out the carb and maybe drill the head and retap for a turbo plug
Old 05-25-2012, 04:13 AM
Scrubmonkey

I know this is an old thread but i am looking at getting this engine but have a couple of questions.
1) does it have a low speed needle?
2) if not how well does it run?
3) what size glow plug does it use?
Old 05-25-2012, 10:14 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: Scrubmonkey

I know this is an old thread but i am looking at getting this engine but have a couple of questions.
1) does it have a low speed needle?
2) if not how well does it run?
3) what size glow plug does it use?
1) No
2) It is a quality problem, if you buy several you can match parts and get something that works. I bought two engines, one had a hole in the crankcase but the piston liner could be put into the second engine that had a too loose piston/liner fit. You may get 15000-16000rpm on a 6x3 prop, but you'll need to add an airbleed to the carb in order to use the throttle.
3) regular short-reach glow plug

Since Norvel engines are readily available, just get one of those and enjoy all the flying you'll be able to do...
Old 05-25-2012, 10:23 AM
Mr Cox

If anyone wants to see the engine running, I've put a little movie here; [link=http://rcuvideos.com/video/CS-061-RC]CS .061RC[/link]

Old 05-25-2012, 09:43 PM
Scrubmonkey

When i asked how well does it run i was wondering as in the throttling/idle characteristics as is no low speed needle. What diameter hole for an ir bleed would you suggest.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Mr Cox

well, it runs like crap without an airbleed hole...

I think I have 0.5mm on mine and one can perhaps go a little larger.

There is just about enough room for a adjustable airbleed, but the screw will have to be around M1.2-1.6

Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Scrubmonkey

Adjustable airbleed? I am only fairly new to the hobby (18months or so even though most people reckon ive been in it longer by the way i fly) is that like the low speed needle?
Old 05-26-2012, 04:30 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Scrubmonkey

Adjustable airbleed? ........ is that like the low speed needle?
It serves the same purpose, to fine tune the mixture at intermediate and low speeds, but works differently. The low speed needle allows you to adjust the fuel flow. An airbleed gives some control by modifying the airflow. As the barrel rotates, the airbleed hole is exposed at low speed. You can introduce varying amounts of air into the carb for a given throttle setting. It's common on smaller engines and less expensive carbs/engines.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83429.gif
Views:	38
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	1766006  
Old 05-26-2012, 04:46 AM
Scrubmonkey

Alright now i understand. How hard is it to put in an airbleed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.