Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Norvel glow plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:56 PM
minan59
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Norvel glow plug

I just came from my local hobby shop, he had a single Norvel #101005 glow plug in stock. I own a couple of Norvel .061 bigmigs and a couple of .074 engines but neither can use this plug. I'm curious as to what this glow plug was used on. Mike
Old 02-15-2008, 04:59 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Norvel glow plug

The very early NORVELs shipped with a different plug that had a colder heat range and required more voltage than the typical nicad glow starter provided. In response, NORVEL introduced the Freedom XL plugs that were hotter and that would provide sufficient heat with a nicad. These plugs did require a different head button.

I suspect that the plug is one of the early offerings and your engines have buttons for the Freedom plugs.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:31 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Andrew

The very early NORVELs shipped with a different plug that had a colder heat range and required more voltage than the typical nicad glow starter provided. In response, NORVEL introduced the Freedom XL plugs that were hotter and that would provide sufficient heat with a nicad. These plugs did require a different head button.

I suspect that the plug is one of the early offerings and your engines have buttons for the Freedom plugs.
One way to tell the difference is that the Freedom plug can use a lock on glow booster, the previous one has less space between the center post and the head. A glow booster will not fit, so a Cox type (or equivalent) glow clip must be used.

George
Old 06-03-2009, 01:47 PM
venomxx

http://www.mecoa.com/acc/adaptors/index.htm
Old 06-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You would probably be better off to use one of the NORVEL replacement plugsor choose an adapter head that accepts either a NELSON plug or a turboplug. The Galbreath head/NELSON plughas proven to be an excellent combination. Adapter heads that use standard plugs have performed poorly in many of the NORVEL and COX engines.

andrew
Old 06-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Silvaire
My Feedback: (50)

minan59,

Your Norvel #101005 glow plug is indeed a "pre-Freedon" plug. The later Freedom plugs are part #110138

Andrew's advice is sound. Go with a Galbreath head / Nelson plug and you won't need to look back...

Old 06-03-2009, 10:09 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys...since this thread is sixteen months old, I would assume he has already made his decision.

George