Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

latest build

Old 02-21-2008, 10:37 PM
tewitt1949

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default latest build

Hi all. This is my latest build. Many know what it is, its a Q-tee with a sure start. 2 channel, 1 oz tank with hs-55 servoes and a berg receiver. Covered with Doc laminate painted on the inside and the black stripes outside. It was tail heavy and I couldn't slide the wing back because it was against the front cabaine uprights. I then put a spinner on the front hoping it would help. but not enough. I then had to add about 1/2 oz inside the spinner. Flying weight is about 14 oz. There are 2 other quys building one exactually the same and we plan on using them for combat soem day. Mostly for just fun flying around.
Sure will be glad when the warm weather arives. Winter/wind sucks for flying. Terry
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84669.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	885257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48557.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	885258  
Old 02-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: latest build

Neat. You've done a lot of building this winter. Gonna start that Pong soon?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:42 PM
tangerine-jack

I like the stripes. Were they done with automotive pinstripe kits or free lanced? Very nice work and please share the technique.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:57 PM
tewitt1949

The stripes were from some sort of kit. 4 strips on one wide strip. You pull the backing off, stick all 4 stripes down then pull the top covering off. I don't know what they were from or for, but they threw them away at work. I thought I can use them for something. The boss said I could ahve them. I also put a couple of little skids on the bottom up front, as I get tired of replacing the bottom covering from abrasive surface while landing. Terry
Old 02-22-2008, 09:31 PM
tewitt1949

TB, I hope to build the Pong II before spring. I want to build some spare parts for the Q-tee as thats a plane I tend to do stupid stuff with(when I get bored). Daring stuff I don't dare do with a better bigger plane.
Right now I'm finishing up another 40 size that I'm replacing, one that I orginally built 25 years ago. Its called a Tempo II. Balsa USA used to sell the kit. It's quite slow, parasol wing, very easy forgiving flyer. It doesn't do much but fly. Once I get it trimed out, I can set the transmitter down and it will fly on its own. Sounds boring, but its fun to fly.
A while back I took the plans and reduced them to a .15 size plane and it also flies very good. Its going to be a good summer as my air force will be well stocked.

Terry
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tewitt1949

The stripes were from some sort of kit. 4 strips on one wide strip. You pull the backing off, stick all 4 stripes down then pull the top covering off. I don't know what they were from or for, but they threw them away at work. I thought I can use them for something. The boss said I could ahve them. I also put a couple of little skids on the bottom up front, as I get tired of replacing the bottom covering from abrasive surface while landing. Terry

Good job and it looks great.
I do so love utilising "found materials" whenever possible.

Robert
Old 02-22-2008, 11:24 PM
digital_trucker

Yep, they do tend to be tail heavy unless you're using something along the lines of a tank reedie. I extended the nose on mine.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:36 AM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"It doesn't do much but fly."

That sounds like fun. I've got a taildragger Sig Kadet Senior with an OS 40LA on it that's like that. Just cruise it around and shoot touch-n-goes at low power settings. Boring for others to watch but therepeutic for me to fly. With a 12oz. tank, 30 minute flights are no problemo if you stay off the throttle.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:06 AM
tangerine-jack

It's so true that many of my planes do little more than "fly". I like pioneer craft, WWI and such so there isn’t much in the way of flying excitement by design anyway. I like to build from plans; and my flying time is limited at best so I don’t have any great skill on the sticks. So for me, the enjoyment of the hobby comes from the construction of the plane, not necessarily from the flying. I am endlessly thrilled every time one of my scratch built planes takes off, "flies around" then lands safely, for me that is the completion of my hobby. Others don't share this philosophy I understand, but that is OK with me- to each his own.

I challenge all members and readers of this forum to scratch build a stick and tissue rubber powered free flight. By doing so you will learn more than you ever thought about flying, construction, trim and propellers. You might surprise yourself!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:15 PM
tewitt1949

Living in a northern winter zone does have advantages. It gives me time to build from scratch. I really enjoy building but if the weather is good for flying its a tough decision which to do. Cold and snow makes it a no brainer which I do.

My slow, do nothing flyer is a tail drager also. I enjoy flying about 10 ft off the ground just above stall speed. Terry
Old 02-24-2008, 05:53 PM
chevy43

Nice plane but I notice a couple of things:

Very little diheadral or none? I wonder how well that is going to work?

Also the fuse looks skinnier than a regualar Q-tee.

Could you make the wing mounts longer and then drill them for dowels to move the wing back further?
Old 02-24-2008, 07:17 PM
tewitt1949

Chevy, You are correct. Since we are using such small servo, no need to make it so wide and tall. We made it 3/4" narrower (side to side) and made it 3/4 of and inch shorter.(up and down).
I think there is about 3/4 inch diheadrial onder one wing tip. I've used that before and it works very good. I do have dowels between the cabaines. I did move the cabaine uprights back about an inch and it balances much better.

I shouldn't have but I took it out and its maden flight today. Windy and cold but had a moment of tempory insanity. It was a sucess though. Flew good, I did have to make a few trim adjments when I got back to the shop, but its ready to go now. The sure start needs breaking in so it should be better as time goes on, maybe a TD is in the future? Hum... Terry
Old 03-18-2008, 07:21 PM
drshooter

Here is a couple of pics of my mini Q-tee.

Name:	Us53293.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	907122   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31516.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	907123  
Old 03-18-2008, 08:16 PM
tewitt1949

Hey Ryan, looks good. I like the color combo, should be easy to see. What weight did you end up with? Is the covering laminate material? We will have to give it a try some time. I checked my surestart, with only 5-6 flights and the rod piston need reseating real bad. You might want to check yours. Even johns new one which never has ran need reseating. Terry
Old 03-18-2008, 08:25 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Terry, she looks great!
I've got a suggestion though. It isn't good for the engine to be packin' extra weight in the spinner, it puts more wear on the crankcase, just like using a heavy prop if not worse.
The thing to do is mount the engine on a hunk of wood [3/4" ply, maple, etc.] that moves the engine forward enough so you won't have to use a loaded spinner.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:40 PM
tewitt1949

CP. orginally I did say I added extra weight under the spinner. Since then it turned out that it CG is off a little. I took the weight out and it flyies great now. I wasn't aware or never thought about it, but you are correct about its not good to have extra weight on the front of the motor.

One thing I don't under stand is the CG is supposed to be under the spar. If I balance it there, it dives like a Bit_h when the motor stops. Glides much better if it balances tail heavy(under the spar). Terry
Old 03-18-2008, 08:53 PM
combatpigg

What a great looking bunch of QTees! You guys should race them! Put less work into combat planes.......if you do enough racing, the level of damage can work out almost the same. I like the more streamlined look, there is no need to build them to look like flying Noahs' Arks any more.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:24 PM
tewitt1949

Thanks for the complements CP. We think the Q-tees are hard to beat for flying, and they are quite rugged. They will take the abuse when getting a little stupid and careless. We tend to push them to the limits because we get bored. Like doing a loop 10 ft off the ground. Cutting dandalions etc. You know fun stuff. Lol. Terry
Old 03-19-2008, 04:30 AM
drshooter

Terry, the plane wieghed in just under 10 oz. The black is laminate material the orange is monokote. I didnt have orange paint and I got a little impatient. Looking forward to getting it in the air.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Yuu

Looking at the picture...what is the wing rubber banded to? Do you make a 'frame' and epoxy it to the fuse, then just use rubberbands? Brass tube wing support, or just plywood? Do you have a close-up pic?
Old 03-20-2008, 11:14 AM
tewitt1949

The wing sits on the cabaines and fastened with the rubber bands. If you hit something the rubber bands just pop and the wing seperates. Usually prevents brakage. They are made of pine. This plane pictured is made really heavy duty and the wood isn't normally this heavy. If you need other pictures I have them just let me know. Terry

Name:	Ro41925.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	908486  
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
drshooter

Terry, You are building another Q-tee?
Old 03-20-2008, 05:18 PM
combatpigg

That's a great shot of a 1/2A RC fuselage with a lot of design wisdom. It looks like every piece of wood is doing something other than just keeping the other pieces of wood company.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:38 PM
tewitt1949

Drshooter. The q-tee pictured above is one done about a year ago. It was built industrial streagth when I was using regular servos and used the large 4 AA battary pack. But anyways to answer your question, Yes, I'm retiring my q-tee with the td-.09 on it as its old (several years old) and fuel soaked, repaired several times. I'm replacing it with a small light one like my yellow with black striped one as pictured above. As light as they are and with that td-.09, It should gave the ability to climb vertical for ever, I think. It does real good with the sure start but will stall after a while.

John was over and got his ready to fly. He put in new hinges so he's go to go. He has his surgery tomorrow morning so don't know when he will try it. He wanted to maiden it today but too much wind. Terry
Old 03-20-2008, 05:49 PM
drshooter

WOW, sounds like the new one is going to be a rocket.