Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

OK Guys, The Carolina 1/2A Reedie Race Site!!!

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

OK Guys, The Carolina 1/2A Reedie Race Site!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OK Guys, The Carolina 1/2A Reedie Race Site!!!

Here it is! http://carolina1-2acrew.tripod.com/

I am not a webmaster but just wanted to get the word out!!! What do you think?

Bob Harris
Old 02-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Tee Bee

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: OK Guys, The Carolina 1/2A Reedie Race Site!!!

That's a neat site. Makes me wish I was close enough to attend your events.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Nice site! Man, I've really been missing everyone. rog and I have failed to get together a few times lately for various reasons. BSARGE, too.

For those farther away, I would suggest instead of using Georgie's check to buy that Chinese-made flatscreen HDTV at ***mart (the last two places that need our money), you organize a trip to the Tarheel state. It's too much fun to miss.

David
Old 02-22-2008, 02:44 PM
hfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Bob. Got my Kwik Shot assembled, just need to decorate it and install the equipment. See ya!
Old 02-22-2008, 04:40 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rainedave

Nice site! Man, I've really been missing everyone. rog and I have failed to get together a few times lately for various reasons. BSARGE, too.

For those farther away, I would suggest instead of using Georgie's check to buy that Chinese-made flatscreen HDTV at ***mart (the last two places that need our money), you organize a trip to the Tarheel state. It's too much fun to miss.

David
I leave politics away from my posts on RCU but I will comment here that that rebate should be valid for Made in the USA products only.

somegeek
Old 02-22-2008, 06:51 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Nice job Bob. But the commercial "art" blocks out half of those handsome guys in the upper right hand corner. (Good to see Tim again in the picture gallery).

I would never stoop to trash talk myself but I'm proud that none of the posts above me have resorted to that lowly form of pre-race banter. Although, I have to admit that it is not likely that one or even two of the more avid racing-committed Crew-Mates could produce aircraft and engines that would be superior to mine. Never-the-less, I too encourage youse-all to skip the Mexican Revolution celebration (Sinko the Mayo) and partake of the fun and beer-less merriment.

FWIW, I am slowly working on the Mako Shark Face kit that Bob so generously bestowed upon me at the last area swap meet (I am still overwhelmed). Please ignore the foolishment in the previous paragraph; this model captures the charm and good looks that characterize all my models, particularly the Shark Face (sorry I can't help myself) - but uses the same wing as Bob's highly competitive Kwik Shot. That wing and the zero, zero, zero configuration look soooo right. I hope to run a 1cc AME engine on her in Unlimited. Now if I can only keep the engine attached . . .

For the Reedie race . . . as they said in Monte Python, "and now for something completely different." Woo hoo.

Once again thanks to Rog, and Bob, and Bsarge, and BARKS for putting up with us-all.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:36 PM
tangerine-jack

That's great Bob. It looks like a good spot to bury Vicman's misplaced sense of invincibility once and for good. Let the smack talking begin!
Old 02-22-2008, 09:42 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Great job there Bob!
Ray and Hollis ought to have a bunch of fun chasing me in the main event!
As for the recently repatriated...big talk for a guy who...you know.[8D]
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 AM
tangerine-jack

Right on Vic. I use a calendar to time your laps.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:19 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

....what keeps me away is that I heard they make Reedie Race rookies get up on a picnic table and sing the Carolina Crew Fight Song while they shoot at your feet [sm=pirate.gif]
Old 02-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

I feel it my duty to clarify that no matter what some people say, the "Carolina Crew Fight Song" is not just adding words to that song from "Deliverance". Da da dumb dumb dumb . . . da da dumb dumb dumb . . .
Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
combatpigg

Ray, that would actually be perfect for the CC fight song. Set the words to "Dueling Banjos"!

Well I've got this plane made of corn stalks.......
it's glued with the snot from a billy goat.....
the engine I found in a garbage can.......
but if you try to beat it, I'll shoot you down....
we like to play rough at the Reedie Race.......
where inbred know-how sets the pace.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Chuck,

Well you've done it again. Exposed the soft underbelly of Carolina Crew racing activity. Your lyrics conger up mental visions of Ned Beatty holding a transmitter and gazing skyward while that haunting refrain plays softly in the background. The words are hard to hear at first but they become louder and clearer. Suddenly the scene shifts to the banjo player, smiling weirdly as the sound of screaming two-strokers becomes louder and drowns out the music. Yes, once again primal human needs take over and the banjo and music are set aside as small aircraft take to the air in primitive conflict of man against man. Ah the smell of hot fuel, the scream of the engine, the cry of pain as the prop bites into flesh, the 'thud' of the bad launch. What joy!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:09 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Great Job BOB !!!

Can't wait for the new year's events...

Dan
Old 02-24-2008, 10:14 PM
combatpigg

Ray, you know...to this day I've never seen that movie, but if Ned Beatty walked up and asked if he could buddy box with me, I'd call 911 [X(]

Are you going to exercice some discipline this year and practice for the race instead of playing with those electric foamies?

Old 02-24-2008, 10:24 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

alright kids,,banjoairplane and I both play the banjo, and we dont have oversized ears!!..lets keep this civil...btw way BA actually taught banjo until he got caught up in rc then he had too many hobbies..and we both ride scooters, we had Honda Reflexs , but he bought a Suzuki burgman 650 the other day, havent seen him since....65 mpg on my scoot, dont know what mpg he gets now...$8 for 3 weeks of commuting....is like 1/2a fuel!!!....Rog
Old 02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
digital_trucker

I'm mightily tempted to take a road trip and introduce you to my Q-Tee in the open event...not that I think it would win, but it'd be fun to see how it stacks up against more serious racers (you'd laugh to see the looks of shock when it goes zipping past more than a few of the .40-.60 size birds around here, I do believe it's slightly faster than my Ultra Sport 60 with the HP Gold Cup).

*sigh* I'd need to do a tear-down and reinforce the tailfeathers first though. They deform in a most frightening way, I'm not convinced the elevator halves are still actually joined. [&o]
Old 02-25-2008, 07:12 AM
Raymond LeFlyr

Poor Ned Beatty, he was the victim, not the perp (not the word I would have wanted to use but I knew my reply would get bounced).

Tell ya what Digital (do you mind if I use just your first name?) I'll bet a Q-Tee that could fly straight and turn tight would do very well against the average Crew member who, like me, fly race planes twice a year whether we need to our not.

However CP, this Spring's event will see me prepared over and above my normal level. I am driven by visions of returned glory that are flashing behind mine eyes. I hear bands playing martial music in a modest parade down Main Street, Burlington. Cheerleaders prancing, batons being wafted into the air. And there I am sitting on the rear deck of a vintage Cadillac convertible - smiling and waving modestly at the huge, adoring croud. (I just gotta do something about my meds).
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM
combatpigg

IIRC, the Q-Tee was the last plane I ever built with a wood dowel elevator joiner. From that point on, 1/8" aluminum welding rod bent into a U shape works pretty good for 1/2A .
Make sure the alloy is bendable without cracking.

Right on Ray, Vegas will be posting Reedie Races odds pretty soon, and I need as much inside info as possible. Has the AMA given you a waiver yet for that fuel you want to use?
Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 PM
Raymond LeFlyr

Hey CP! Ixnay on the ecretsay uelfay ormulafay! Details of which are kept in a vault under the casket at the Smithsonian. But I can admit that I will be using the contents of a package that came today Kitting It Together. Jeeze now I have to do more testing. Heavy sigh. Well, they say the path to glory is never easy..

Okay, okay, I can share part of the ecretsay uelfay ormulafay; The formula for a hot racing fuel is somewhat like the formula for a good martini. In one there's as little alcohol as you can get away with. In the other . . . well you know. Oh, and the olive only goes in one of them - never an onion.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:50 PM
combatpigg

Ooops, sorry Ray. I can't keep a secret.
Just don't forget that part A should be kept in a seperate Igloo cooler from part B and not mixed into a batch until right before each heat........oh ya, stainless reeds only!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:21 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Just don't forget that part A should be kept in a seperate Igloo cooler from part B and not mixed into a batch until right before each heat........
And this would be where I get things mixed up and start conversing in strange dialects.