Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

what sealant for tanks??

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

what sealant for tanks??

Old 02-29-2008, 12:38 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what sealant for tanks??

Hi guys,
I'm working on the Sure Shark tank and I can't remember if high temp silicone will work on glo fuel tanks.
I posted this pic before it shows the alum vodka bottle I am using for a tank.....2oz. ...yep I like LONG flights
the alum bottle is no heavier than a dubro 2oz tank as far as I can tell.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94243.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	891331  
Old 02-29-2008, 06:19 AM
longdan

Default RE: what sealant for tanks??

SNAP!
I'm building a Sure Shark at the moment (still got glue on my fingers right now from it) and have been thinking about the tank. I was planning to use a Fuji film cannister. There is juuussst enough room for one as long as the openings are made in the bottom of the cannister and the lid is towards the rear of the plane. I am seriously thinking of using some rubber grommets with maybe a little silicone sealant. Might knock one up to test the idea (I've got about a dozen of these empty film cannisters lying around). Not sure what type of silicone I'd use. I've got access to several different types - red hi temp, white bathroom, opaque general purpose, clear etc. I've heard the best way to do the fuel line holes is to melt them with a soldering iron; dont drill them because the plastic will crack around the hole.
I think if one type of silicone works, they all will work. After all, the main ingredient is the same, it's only addatives that change it from hi temp to batthroom type.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 AM
digital_trucker

I've tried bathroom type before, don't work.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:23 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: OzMo

Hi guys,
I'm working on the Sure Shark tank and I can't remember if high temp silicone will work on glo fuel tanks.
Nothing bonds to the film cans whatsoever. Sealants can fill gaps or help tubing stay in place is all.

The tanks seal great on their own. Done right, the fuel inlet/outlet don't even require adhesive. Three methods have worked fine for me in the past: 1. drilling a hole 1/32" smaller than the tubing used for the inlet/outlet nipples, then press fitting it in. 2. drilling a hole large enough to accept a section of silicone line, inserting the line a short ways in, then inserting a section of brass or nylon tubing into that so that it swells the silicone tubing outwards tightly into the walls of the tank. 3. same as #1, but using a section of 1/8" OD polyurethane tubing (as used for small pneumatics etc.) as the inlet and outlet nipple. Silicone easily pops overtop of that.

Drilling is done with sharp bits at fairly high rpm, you want a nice clean cut. Alternately, find a piece of brass tubing that is undersize, and heat it in a torch, then push it through. It doesn;t have to be cherry red, just hot.

I strongly suggest chewing up a film can or two experimenting with your techniques.

Due to the force required the tubes don't budge in the tank. Some folks wrap electrical tape around the lid-can junction for security in a bumpier than normal landing.

MJD
Old 02-29-2008, 08:25 AM
tewitt1949

I've never built one but will in the future so I've been listening to all ideas. I've heard that if you make the hole in the canistar small enough where the little piece of silicone tubing is somewhat tight going in, and then you push the brass tube through it, the tube expands the rubber tubing gets tight against the burned edges in the canistar. Sounds good to me, let us know what you do. Terry
Old 02-29-2008, 12:03 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Film is dieing out on us. I just want to remind you all to drop by your local film processing shops and pick up your lifetime supply of Fuji containers soon while you still can. And they come in handy for a lot of things besides fuel tanks so get lots.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
propjobbill

I have used the fuel line tubing like Terry said in post #5 and it has always worked for me make the hole just a liffle smaller than the fuel line and just a little bigger than the brass or aluminum tubing. The tubing will press the fuel line snug against the hole and make the seal for you.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:16 PM
Jim Thomerson

There is a glue called GOOP which is said to work. Design man recommends it.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:17 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the tubing method (drill rather than burn) to cut holes in the bottom of the tank and tubing inserts to keep the tubing from collapsing where it passes thru the bottom of the tank. The tubing seals well and being softer than the tank plastic, it does not seem to cause stress cracking as much.

The tubing is silicon insulation from 14 AWG battery wire. I had gone to the LHS to get some small silicon fuel tubing, but when they were out, decided to try the insulation as a last resort. It has worked well and is so flexible, I use it instead of fuel tubing.

Name:	Tr51522.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	891602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24973.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	891603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65677.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	891604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk20964.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	891605  
Old 03-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Mr Cox

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Film is dieing out on us. I just want to remind you all to drop by your local film processing shops and pick up your lifetime supply of Fuji containers soon while you still can.
I hated when they stopped using the aluminum ones, they were really useful for muffler or just for keeping tiny stuff in, and now the plastic ones are going away too... [:@]
Old 03-01-2008, 01:22 PM
OzMo

OK so .... does silicone hold up to 1/2 A fuel? I will grab a stash of fuji cans
Old 03-01-2008, 04:11 PM
build light

ORIGINAL: OzMo

OK so .... does silicone hold up to 1/2 A fuel? I will grab a stash of fuji cans
It most certainly does as long as it is not diesel fuel.

Robert
Old 03-01-2008, 04:56 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

If you run out of film canisters, try a pill bottle...they come in all sorts of different sizes. The prescription type bottles especially with the old fashioned snap lids (non kid safe ) are nice and light and relatively compact. (diameter wise )
Old 03-02-2008, 01:35 AM
OzMo

Cool
Thanks I will install the tank now! Can't wait to fly this bird.
I have a shark theme greeting card I want to use a photo shopped(mirror image) version of on the fuse sides.... we'll see if it works out. I plan to make a color set of mirror copies (lighter than the greeting card) to apply to the sides of the fuse. I will spray paint the areas it won't be on first then stick on the shark images then shoot with clear poly urethane for fuel proofing. should be a little different . If it ain't butt ugly I'll post a pic.

Name:	Jh16682.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	892998   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87924.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	892999  
Old 03-02-2008, 08:08 AM
tewitt1949

I wonder how that clear spray that is used on auto electrical spark plug wires or electronic equipment would work to fuel proof a plane? Anyone tried it? Terry
Old 03-02-2008, 02:11 PM
longdan

ORIGINAL: tewitt1949

I wonder how that clear spray that is used on auto electrical spark plug wires or electronic equipment would work to fuel proof a plane? Anyone tried it? Terry
That stuff is just polyurethane varnish isn't it?
Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM
build light

Quote by tewitt1949:
"I wonder how that clear spray that is used on auto electrical spark plug wires or electronic equipment would work to fuel proof a plane? Anyone tried it? Terry"

When all else fails, Lusterkote works every time.

Robert
Old 03-02-2008, 06:24 PM
digital_trucker

Seems like I tried the pill bottles that are made from the yellow orangy clear plastic. iirc, they didn't work. The white ones oughta work well.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:43 PM
tewitt1949

Build Light, Someone here said that the lustercoat will come off on the rag, as if it isn't fuel proof. I don't know, but maybe lustercoat has to set for 7 days like Krylon plastic type paint. If you put fuel on it too quick(before 7 days) it will disolve the paint. Terry
Old 03-02-2008, 08:22 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: BMatthews

Film is dieing out on us. I just want to remind you all to drop by your local film processing shops and pick up your lifetime supply of Fuji containers soon while you still can. And they come in handy for a lot of things besides fuel tanks so get lots.
Yep - I raid the film counter at our local grocery every time we shop.