Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Micro Servos

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 03:36 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Micro Servos

Looking to build a pylon club racer and want to build it light... 400 sq in, .15 limits.. that's a bit of a side note.

Comparing the Futaba 3111s and 3114s. For roughly 1 gram difference you get over twice as much torque(8oz in vs 20oz in). Seems like the weight gain is worth it. Am I missing something?

somegeek
Old 03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Remby
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Micro Servos

At 8oz torque, it could stall out if any drag is present, along with air pressure on the surfaces. I have had this happen, although with another brand of servo.

I would go with the 3114 in this case, not much of a weight penalty.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:02 PM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think in most cases servo speed is traded for torque. For pylon racing with no minimum weight limit, and maybe a 80 mph plane? There isn't that much stress on the ailerons, but the elevator gets yanked pretty good. Accurate centering is a big deal in racing. I think the slower [torquey] gear trains will be more precise. Stay away from metal gears.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:22 PM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks guys. I am going to get plan sheets for a few of the planes the guys in my club race. Guess I can look at using HS-81s or 3114s at that time. Would a 3111 hold up for throttle use?

These are the spec rules from last year...

Airplane design requirements:

1. Wing area:
A. Conventional designs: 400 square-inch minimum wing area, and a separate, aft–mounted horizontal stabilizer of 40 square-inch minimum area that provides the sole control of pitch attitude.
B. Tail-less designs (flying wings, including deltas): 450 square-inch minimum wing area.
C. Canard designs: total wing area (forward wing and aft wing combined) must be at least 400 square-inches. Forward wing must have a minimum 40 square-inch area and provide sole control of pitch attitude.
D. Other configurations may be acceptable, but must be approved prior to racing.

2. Minimum wing span: 36 inches for all designs.

3. Engine: Limited to readily available .15 cubic inch displacement plain bearing glow plug motors. The standard muffler as provided by the engine’s manufacturer must be used in its entirety. All factory-installed baffles must be used. No modifications are allowed to the motor or muffler except that bolts and screws may be replaced. Engine must be readily available at normal retail hobby outlets. All motors must have a spinner or rounded prop nut installed while racing (not required for pusher motor designs). Multi-engine designs are not allowed. Exhaust extensions may be used.

4. Propellers used in this event must be readily available to all competitors. Retail cost of a propeller may not exceed $10.00.

5. Contestants must use the organizer-provided fuels during races.

6. All models entered are subject to a general safety inspection before competing and all models must have been test flown prior to racing.
somegeek
Old 03-04-2008, 07:26 PM
combatpigg

That is a great set of rules for those who want to explore design. A lot of arguments about design concepts can be settled this way. I hope there is a great turn out.

I'm not sure what the hottest plain bearing .15 is. The right prop will really make a difference, but you won't know what works best until you have tried a few on that plane. Regular APC props are heavy. You might find that they have a .15 pylon prop in their listings.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:24 PM
nekked_man_2000

The only beef I have is the rule about readily available at hobby stores on the engine. Not a major beef, but it seems to me that would rule out my old .15 fp and OS max III (or is it a II? It's cold and I'm not going to the shed to look.) since they are not readily available, but they would otherwise fit the rules, along with Norvell .15's I think. But I understand the logic....maybe it could be unmodified plain bearing .15 or something so guys like me could run there old engines.

Austin
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
combatpigg

Usually these events are hungry for participants [helpers] and if you can demonstrate that your FP is no stronger than a LA, I'm sure they would welcome you aboard. A $70 claimer fee would also help keep the table level. The spirit of the rule breaks down when some guy buys 20 engines, keeps the best 2 and auctions off the others.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the OS .15fp is still readily available in stores,, but now they call it the OS .15la....Rog
actually I have no idea what the difference is in them....
Old 03-06-2008, 09:42 PM
combatpigg

I think the production cost of the LA is lower, but the engines seem like they run the same. The FPs were my first "zero break in" engines.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:32 AM
OzMo

The os LA15 and the newer magnum 15 are popular in the SSC ranks. They are quite durable and user friendly, if you seal the back plate well. The alum. FP 15 backplate is a nice replacement for the plastic LA backplate.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:05 AM
injunnut1

How many currently available plain bearing .15 engines can anyone name ..... keep in mind the Thunder Tiger .15 is no more, as has the plain bearing Norvel Big Mig .15 went extinct also? It's a shame the new and relatively economically priced Magnum .15BB won't be allowed!
Old 03-07-2008, 12:10 PM
rc doc

Rules out my plain bearing FOX 15 Sch.
rc doc
Old 03-07-2008, 06:56 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Who says the TT GP-15 is "no more"? Radical RC says "temporarily out of stock".
Old 03-08-2008, 04:49 AM
injunnut1

I THOUGHT I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE NEW THUNDER TIGER .18 WILL BE REPLACING THE TT GP.15, maybe not tho ..... time will tell? How long were the 1/2A Norvel engines listed as "Temporarily Out Of Stock"?! BTW, I just remembered too that the Enya .15 plain bearing engine (two versions even) is currently available direct from the manufacturer in Japan.