Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

1/2A Fuel?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 AM
catracer343

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/2A Fuel?

Hey guys, I was at the local shop today getting some supplies and I was looking for some Norvel fuel, since I'm almost out. I found Hobbico 1/2A fuel for $8 a pint and noticed S&W 30%Heli. for $23 a gallon, so I went with that. I also picked up a quart of Sig castor, since the S&W has synthetic lube in it. I can't find the lube content (%) anywhere for the S&W 30%Heli. fuel, and was wondering if anyone knows how much castor I should add to the gallon. I was thinking around 5-6 oz? Oh yeah...I also scored a handful of brandy-new Norvel glow buttons for my beloved .074! -That should keep me going for a few seasons anyway! I found some pretty interesting stuff there with lotsa dust on it. (Cox standard .010 heads, Medallion and TD .09 heads,parts, ect.) Thanks for the help guys!- Craig
Old 03-09-2008, 12:23 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 1/2A Fuel?

Did they have any of those "Radios"?
Old 03-09-2008, 12:33 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I did a little search and 1.28 ounces is 1% of a gallon. But we don't know what % oil your starting with. 20 to 25 % is what I read is optimal for 049s.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:54 AM
rrragmanliam

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heres a couple of calculators. I also use 30% Heli fuel for my 1/2 A engines. I add about 9 oz. of castor. I'm not sure where it leaves the fuel % wise but they all seem to run fine, even my .010 and .020 TD's.

http://www.nitrorc.com/default2.asp?...orc.com/fuelws

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/fuel.htm

Rrragman
Old 03-09-2008, 10:30 AM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: catracer343

Hey guys, I was at the local shop today getting some supplies and I was looking for some Norvel fuel, since I'm almost out. I found Hobbico 1/2A fuel for $8 a pint and noticed S&W 30%Heli. for $23 a gallon, so I went with that. I also picked up a quart of Sig castor, since the S&W has synthetic lube in it. I can't find the lube content (%) anywhere for the S&W 30%Heli. fuel, and was wondering if anyone knows how much castor I should add to the gallon. I was thinking around 5-6 oz? Oh yeah...I also scored a handful of brandy-new Norvel glow buttons for my beloved .074! -That should keep me going for a few seasons anyway! I found some pretty interesting stuff there with lotsa dust on it. (Cox standard .010 heads, Medallion and TD .09 heads,parts, ect.) Thanks for the help guys!- Craig
Their website doesn't list oil % I see.. anyhow, I think it is safe to assume that the heli fuel contains a bare minimum of 16% oil, more likely 18-20%. Therefore on the assumption it is 16% as a worst case scenario, 6 ounces of castor should be enough yielding about 22% total oil minimum (actually a hair more if you work it out, close enough) but you could go a couple % more without ill effect. One thing to consider with heli fuel is that they often use a lower viscosity synthetic oil than aircraft fuels. Is this fuel 100% synthetic oil?

MJD
Old 03-09-2008, 03:51 PM
lildiesel

For my limited glow powered flying I've been getting pints of 30% helicopter fuel from a friend and adding 1 oz. of castor to each pint. That's worked fine for my Pee Wee .020s in R/O vintage planes. Now that I'll need more glow fuel I'll probably just buy a gallon and keep adding 1 oz. castor for each pint I take to the park or baseball diamond.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You really have to go hog wild with the oil before seeing any problems. I think FOX had a breakin blend with 30% oil.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:19 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: catracer343

Just fill the gallon to the top with the castor, thats what I do and theres been no problems yet, its about 4 more oz of castor to the mix ...I use it in all engines from ,.010 to .46...Rog
Old 03-09-2008, 05:57 PM
jessiej

Wow! You have a hobby shop? A LOCAL hobby shop? One that has fuel? MORE THAN ONE KIND OF FUEL!? And castor and glow plugs?

I remember such days. I'll bet they have balsa and glue as well.

jess
Old 03-09-2008, 07:04 PM
catracer343

Yup! And when I call them up on the phone, a person answers it, and they even speak english! No numbers to push or anything! -Now if I could just get them to stock more stuff for the little guys that don't make sparks and get all slimy... Electric arf's are gunna kill 1/2A eventualy[:'(]
Old 03-09-2008, 07:27 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even when the manufacturer tells you the percentage, some that are touted as 16% lube have 16% BY WEIGHT, which sometimes equates to ~14% by volume.

I THINK Cox 1/2A fuel had about 18% by volume. Some of the 1/2A CL combat guys saw performance increases up to about 20%-22%. Using just below the ideal level will not often make your engine go belly-up, it will just wear out sooner. Iron/steel setups are not as forgiving and you can get damaging thermal runaway on an extremely lean run. That's where having a good percentage of castor helps.

IMHO 1/2A engines do not need more than 22% (by volume) unless you tend to run the needle a bit lean to squeeze out that last bit of performance.

Fox makes "SuperFuel" with 29% all castor fuel. This is excellent oil content for break-in, but the nitro is only 5%. You might not want to fly it much in a 1/2A because it's harder to needle with the low nitro content...but I've successfully flown with it. Fox fuel is a bit pricey, especially if you have to order it.

The real advantage of SuperFuel, other than break-in, is that all castor helps restore compression in a very worn iron/steel setup.

SIG and Wildcat sell excellent 1/2A fuel. Both do/did tell you their nitro and oil content. If not, a call or email should get you the info.

Generally, most "RC" fuels are formulated for .60 or larger BB engines which do not need as much lube as a smaller sleeve bearing engine.

Of course these are only one person's opinion, your results may be different.

George
Old 03-11-2008, 07:29 PM
rrragmanliam

* 6 ounces of castor should be enough yielding about 22% total oil

*You really have to go hog wild with the oil before seeing any problems. I think FOX had a breakin blend with 30% oil.

* Just fill the gallon to the top with the castor, thats what I do and theres been no problems yet, its about 4 more oz of castor to the mix ...I use it in all engines from ,.010 to .46...Rog

*Fox makes "SuperFuel" with 29% all castor fuel.

I think the consensus here is just dump 6 - 10 .oz of castor in the gallon and "run em' your engines will be verry happy

rrragman
Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 PM
catracer343

Thanks for the help guys! I just got an e-mail back from S&W and their tech said to add 6 oz. of castor to a gallon to bring the oil content up to 22%. Now I just have to find a way to melt all of the snow around here so I can get my thumbs back.