Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

To big to post

Old 03-15-2008, 05:56 PM
Walther
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To big to post

Well I was going to post some pictures of my C37 build with the dihedral gone but my files are to big for this site.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: To big to post

Just save them in a smaller format then (the max at 6MB each is quite generous), most programs allow easy exports into other file formats and sizes
Old 03-15-2008, 06:28 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Do all of the modem owning users a favour and use an image editing program to reduce them to around 70 to 100K file size. Actually RCU will reduce them anyway as long as they are within the guidelines.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:24 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Walther,

I like to use .jpg files of ~800 pixels wide and ~72-100 dpi. These become smaller files that still show good resolution on a screen and are of a width that you do not have to scroll to view.

Another trick is to crop the picture, eliminating stuff you don't need to show.

Good luck with your pics.

George

Edit: Forgot to mention, make a copy of the pic before you start so you can make alterations on the copy and still have the original.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Mr Cox

I've been using Picasa (it's free; http://picasa.google.com/) and it works great. One can zoom and adjust horizon etc without altering the original file. Batch conversion of selected files and exports into new files of desired size and resolution, highly recommended!
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Walther

Mr Cox:

I have Picasa and I would like to know how you do it without altering the original file, mine get altered.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Mr Cox

I'm not on the correct computer right now, so I can't double check, but the original file should be intact and can be opened in another program to reveal the original image. Picasa registers the changes done to a picture, rather than changing the file, and shows the picture within picasa the way you have choosen too, but this should be done without altering the original picture...
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Mr Cox

I found a passing in the manual:

Note: Picasa never overwrites your original file on disk; any edits you make to a photo are only saved inside Picasa until you decide to either export or click the "Save Changes" button in the album header.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Walther

Mr Cox:

I just posted some pictures in Some like them flat, and when I tried to open my original it had been altered.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Mr Cox

The you had probably saved the changes to the files, which is not nessecary to do, Picasa should remember how you want to see your pictures within picasa. When exporting these then it is the view within Picasa that is exported.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:08 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walther

Mr Cox:

I just posted some pictures in Some like them flat, and when I tried to open my original it had been altered.
When you go to save your reduced size version in your own computer be sure to use the "save as" option so you can keep the original large size and save a second smaller file size version under a different name. I like to add "-sm" to the end of the file name just before the "#####.jpg" extension so it's easy to tell. I also made a new subdirectory to store the smaller sizes in for easy access for posting on the web. It saves me from having to navigate around a lot looking for the picture I just saved.

Or if you're reffering to how RCU alters the picture you just need to live with that. When you post here the RCU software automatically reduces larger file sizes to a smaller size to avoid using excess room but mostly to avoid the format being too large for a lot of folks monitors. It also keeps the site friendly for those still using modems.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:29 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Walther

Mr Cox:

Depending on the program, when you do a copy or save-as, look at the file name you are working on. Some programs continue with the original pic.

Get into the habit of doing the copy or save as BEFORE making any alterations. Get out of the pic you are in withoud doing another save. Now open the saved version and do your alterations. MAKE SURE you do a name change for the save-as or you will just be altering the original.

I use a "limited edition" version of Photoshop which came with my computer. It works fine for me.

Good luck.

George
Old 03-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Mr Cox

Yes, for Photoshop it is best to just make a copy straight away and to play with that one.

What I've been trying to explain is that Picasa is meant to work in a different way. It can be used to only register how you want to see different images without actually making any changes to the files themselves. I realies now from this thread that the best thing is to put all original files onto a CD straight away, and to store that in a safe place. Well away from any nitro and lipos etc