Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

HobbyTown USA

Old 03-16-2008, 09:18 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HobbyTown USA

Good, bad,any experience with them,,there is one in the next town maybe, 15 miles or so...Never been in it....Rog
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
BSARGE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HobbyTown USA

Not even close to K/C! Just a basic selection and prices higher than K/C, I have one here in my town and most of the times they don't have in stock what I need.....nothing for 1/2A(at least this one). I will say that this owner actually is knowledgable about r/c which from what I have seen is the exception and not the rule...

-Bill
Old 03-16-2008, 09:50 AM
ProBroJoe

Eh... the one around here is O-K, but they cater mostly to the car and leckie crowd (no surprise there). The good thing is however, they do have a pretty good selection of fuel, at reasonable prices. ($14 for 15% Morgan Omega whereas my LHS sells the same exact product for $19). The owner is actually proud of the fact that he's able to sell fuel at a decent price and does his best to keep it that way - but I don't know what they other stores are able to do..

I don't expect much help when I go into the "chain" type hobby stores because it's been my experience that there's usually no help to be had. You know, just a bunch of kids and their less-employed friends hanging out chatting...

Long story short, if ya know what you want and can help yourself then it's probably worth the trip.

-Joe
Old 03-16-2008, 10:02 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

My local Hobbytown sells mostly ARFs but does have good fuel prices... I got a dollar off per gallon when I picked up a case of Cool Power. They sell ARFs and cars primarily. You can however order parts in which take about a week on average to come in.

somegeek
Old 03-16-2008, 10:45 AM
dashunde

Oddly, there is only one corporate-owned HT store, the rest are francised to independent owners - so in theory, they should not be that much different than a stand-alone LHS, except that they carry a lot of non-RC stuff - and that alone probably distracts from pure RC knowledge.
I've seen several new store owners come through the single corporate store for training. Most of them are kind of buisness-minded (required I suppose), instead of already having a huge interest in RC and just wanting to make RC their "life".
Of course, there are many exceptions to that generalization, I have indeed seen a few new owners that are totally immersed in RC - their stores would probably be great for us.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Half-A-Hec

Pretty much what everyone else has said. We have two in Omaha. One little one and a big store. The little one is worthless unless you need balsa and dubro hardware. Nothing but ARFs and some glow fuel. The big one has a much better selection with the exception of balsa. Go figure. I was in there the other day and wanted 1/16" sq. bass wood and they don't even carry it.[:@] At least the big store has employees that are knowledgeable in RC Aircraft. The small store is clueless. Everytime I am in the small store and a customer has a question I am the one that ends up answering it. Its agrivating since the small store is 2 blocks from my office and the big one is 20 mins from my office.

Hec
Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

We had one in Ozark Mo come and go. They have to carry so much required inventory that it makes it hard to generate profit. They did have good fuel prices though and I got couple of bargains when they closed.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:38 PM
on pipe

Half-A-Hec, If you need any basswood, spruce, etc., go to the hardwood store on 147th and Center street in Omaha. They used to advertise their store on the "New Yankee Workshop" on PBS. They have a big selection of light woods for scratch-building. Ross
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM
on pipe

I almost forgot... I always thought that online hobby shopping was the cheapest. Buy the small stuff you don't want to wait for at the LHS, and the bigger stuff you can wait for online. Last year I ordered an OS 65LA online and went to Hobbytown for fuel and saw that the engine was 10$ cheaper there! Ross
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 PM
tangerine-jack

I go to Hobby Town about once every two or three years and always leave empty handed. The have such a variety of hobby topics that they have almost nothing in any category be it trains, planes or automobiles. They seem to me to cater more toward the lay person's gift buying than what the hard core hobbyist would be purchasing. I don't think they even sell balsa anymore.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: on pipe

I almost forgot... I always thought that online hobby shopping was the cheapest. Buy the small stuff you don't want to wait for at the LHS, and the bigger stuff you can wait for online. Last year I ordered an OS 65LA online and went to Hobbytown for fuel and saw that the engine was 10$ cheaper there! Ross
I do most all of my shopping online, but the other day my credit card got hijacked and I had to cancel it and wait for a new one, meantime my tax refund is due back the end of the week and I need some stuff...but I dont want to gas up the van to go to a toy store, and the miata is down and the scoot doesnt carry too much....but it sure is fun....Rog
Old 03-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Half-A-Hec

On pipe,

Thanks for the heads up! I sometimes get my spruce and bass wood from hobby lobby too.

Hec
Old 03-17-2008, 08:01 AM
Clay Walters

You know, just getting back into it after many years away I use our Hobbytown a little but have also located the other two LHS for our area. Like others have said, ours HT is more into the cars and electric parkflyer stuff. They also have ARF's on the shelf that seem to rarely turn over.

But, I've discovered that HT carries a lot of doodads the LHS don't or atleast has a better selection...knives, files, small screws, screw drivers, razor saws, etc. However, they typically only have ONE of each item and appear to restock weekly.

The fuel prices at ours if very high so I haven't purchased any there but if I need some mounting screws, CA tips, or a ball-driver they're a good source. And their prices on these items have been as good as ordering from Tower for me.

Regards,

Clay
Old 03-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

Hobbytowns are interesting places. The local one here is not very R/C knowledgeable. I stopped in for a module for my Hitec Optic 6 and the person showed me some telescopes. Oh well.

A good LHS with a pilot owner is great. Support your LHS, when you have a question they will have an answer.

Peace

Mark O
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Then again, HobbyTown USA sponsors a TV show about models (albeit RC) on the DIY channel.

I did a search for them and found their website. Went to adhesives and the first item that popped up was Ambroid (out of stock, of course), so they can't be all bad.

George
Old 03-17-2008, 09:55 AM
somegeek
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: tangerine-jack
I don't think they even sell balsa anymore.
My local Hobbytown carries balsa but the price is about twice what I would pay for a bulk balsa shipment from National Balsa.

somegeek
Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM
pkevinb

On a whim I decided to visit a HobbyTown that was about 70 miles away, closest one to me. The two employes were eating lunch and so didn't bother me but were helpfull when I asked questions. I bought two ARFs that day because the price was better than anywhere I had seen. Their prices on engines and planes were great. Didn't really price anything else, but there was a sign saying they would price match anyone.

Usually I shop my LHS who is only 3 miles away. Get about 85% of my stuff there and a great owner.
Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well nothing beats a LHS who might happen to have some good deals or just some stuff you didn't now that you needed...
Old 03-17-2008, 06:21 PM
dashunde

I'm forever finding stuff I didnt know I needed.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:04 PM
jessiej

Over the years I have been in about half a dozen HTs and found a wide variation in size and quality. I must say though, any LHS beats none at all which is my present situation.

jess
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

I've been to the one in Greensboro... not bad.. pretty good wood selection when I was there.. bunches of arf/barf/car stuff.... should find basically what you need... but if you want something about the same distance in Durham, you can go to Carolina Hobbies owned by Bill Wynne. It's at his house and has a bunch of good stuff. If you need directions give me a call/email.

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 03-18-2008, 06:39 AM
flyinrog

I think I met hime Dan, I believe when I came up to your funfly a few years back, he was selling stuff out of the back of his van...I bought a pocket rocket from him....Rog
Old 03-18-2008, 06:59 AM
RocketRob

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK guys, the one in the Bay Area (Concord actually) is great!
We have many "Speciality LHS" which cater to electrics but Our local Hobbytown has the best glow inventory around. They also have lots of electric stuff, cars trains and toys for the kids.

I've bought engines for the same price as online - planes too and something about the immediate retail thearapy of parting with your cash and taking that new shiney piece home with you can't be beat! As well as seeing, holding and measuring that widget in your own hands as opposed as looking at a photo and exchangeing obscure emails with a vendor who is interested in moving units is priceless.

I often find some pearls in the clearence piles.

The staff is pretty knowledgeable
Old 03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets face it, some of us enjoy going through ANY hobby shop...and can usually find SOMETHING to buy.

George
Old 03-18-2008, 06:38 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Good, bad,any experience with them,,there is one in the next town maybe, 15 miles or so...Never been in it....Rog
My best flying buddy managed one for a while. The store's personality depends entirely on the staff - they have access to a broad base of products and are capable of being competitive due to their size. The store he was at had a moderate aircraft department and he made efforts to expand it and make the selection available useful and interesting. While he was there it was a decent place to deal with, although that also (like most outfits) depended on who you got to look after you.

MJD

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.