Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox .049 stainless reeds

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox .049 stainless reeds

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox .049 stainless reeds

Is it possible to order, or is anyone making stainless steel replacement reeds for the cox Sure Start engines. If not does anyone know where you can buy mylar reeds or what ever replacement reeds. I know they can be made, but I'm looking for a place where the work has been finished

Thanks in advance Bill
Old 03-17-2008, 11:06 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Cox .049 stainless reeds

I picked up a few Mylar reads reasonable on the fleab. I don't really know which on is better mylar or stainless i wonder if stainless is hard on the plastic housing?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:51 PM
digital_trucker

Not all that hard to cut some out of a floppy disk (the actual disk that is, not the casing).
Old 03-18-2008, 05:27 AM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Davis Diesel has a teflon reed it comes three to a pack precut the same shape as the stainless.

Sorry nothing as to where you could find the steel reeds other than ebay.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:06 AM
propjobbill

Thanks for the information I will ckeck out Davis Diesel for the teflon reeds, If all else fails I will find out about where to get teflon or what ever for making my own.

THANKS Bill
Old 03-18-2008, 11:54 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: digital_trucker

Not all that hard to cut some out of a floppy disk (the actual disk that is, not the casing).
Have you had problems with the iron oxide recording media coming off the plastic, or do you remove it first?

Perhaps they don't even use iron oxide any more. I remember it from my "tape" days.

I have heard about but never used floppy's for reeds.

George
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: gcb

Have you had problems with the iron oxide recording media coming off the plastic, or do you remove it first?

Perhaps they don't even use iron oxide any more. I remember it from my "tape" days.

I have heard about but never used floppy's for reeds.
George --

The most common coating on the typical 3.5" high density diskette is a cobalt-ferric compound. The earlier 8" and low density 5.25" floppies were mostly iron ferrites.

The coating is so thin and uniform that I never thought about removing it. I suppose that over the long haul, if enough sloughed off, it could contribute to some wear, but I would expect it to be minimal. It can be removed with pure acetone without harming the mylar, but I'm not sure its worth the effort. The mylar substrate is incredibly tough and I've never been able to tear it with my fingers alone -- of course, YMMV.