Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Cox engine information

Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Cox engine information

Old 03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cox engine information

I came across this page while doing a search for cox engines http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Cox-Model...00000001069165 There is a lot of good information there if you don't already know about it.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cox engine information

PJB --

Nice find!
Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just read it, I found a number of errors of fact in there-most are relatively trivial-to give three examples-the Medallion series came out after the TD's not before-they were not a precursor to the TD series. The Conquest 15 did not appear until 1976-the Rossi had been in production since 1969! The Conquest was never known as the 'K&B 15' at any time-that description was given to several other models, most latterly the rear drum schneurle 15 series 72. There are at least 6 different Cox 049 glowheads in existence-the very early pre 1955 glowhead (smaller threaded diameter), the subsequent low compression hemi head which survived into the late 70's, the TD 049 hi compression head, and the later 315,325 and 335 low compression heads (Texaco 5-fin/standard 'hi power'3-fin /1-fin) types which all share the same internal head shape.
Its still a useful guide-but omits a few things-the Queen Bee is not mentioned, nor are the larger Concept 35 and 40 engines which never made it past pre-production status

'ffkiwi'
Old 03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
propjobbill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi ffkiwi, The things I found useful about it was that is showed pictures of different engines and gave an idea of what rpm could be obtained out of each engine. Being miles from an expert, or even knowledgeable about those engines I am sure there is perhaps even other mistakes. But like this forum and your response, ever little bit teaches me more.

THANKS
Old 03-17-2008, 10:50 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martin Hepperle's site is still by far the best for comprehensive information on Coxes.(a google search on his name will bring it up) For those who have them, the Model Builder 'fuel lines' regular monthly column also had a lot of good stuff when Joe Klause was writing it. The Yahoo half A group is useful-but totally US centric (ie if its not Cox Fox Norvel or OK it doesn't get a mention)-but at least some of the key real time Cox players-Larry Renger, Dale Kirn etc are there-as well as some of the current aftermarket suppliers. Check out yahoo groups if interested.

'ffkiwi'
Old 03-18-2008, 07:24 AM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[link=http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/index.htm]Martin Hepperle's site[/link]
Old 03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ffkiwi
The Conquest 15 did not appear until 1976-the Rossi had been in production since 1969! The Conquest was never known as the 'K&B 15' at any time-that description was given to several other models, most latterly the rear drum schneurle 15 series 72.
'ffkiwi'
K&B's "Green head" was the first K&B I remember. The next was the RR "Series 61", then "Series 64". While the rear drum rotor "Series 72" was in production, K&B bought the Cox Conquest, changed a few parts, and released it as their .15. I've heard of it referred to as the K&B Conquest, but never as the K&B .15. From what I've read, some parts are not interchangeable between the Cox and K&B versions of the Conquest.

I understand that the piston/cylinder is replaceable with the Rossi of that vintage. I read in one of the model mags of the day that someone swapped piston/cylinders between the Conquest and the Rossi and both engines ran faster (!). Since I don't have a Rossi and my Conquest is the Cox version, I can't confirm any of this...just what I read.

I hope this is all correct, it's from memory.

George