Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Hey Crew

Old 03-18-2008, 07:20 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Crew

First and foremost this is NOT about the upcoming May reedy race......I was just wondering if you guys might be interested in getting the same plane and equiping it the same way for a new race at the fall meet???.....what would we get?..should we use rules where the plane and engine have to be available now?..or what you have in your engine box?...ie. suppose we get a simple series Texan/Extra/Corsair... and put up to a Norvel .074??? or would we need to use the Thunder Tiger .07 to keep the playing field level?...same plane, same engine...pick your own Rx and servos and battery.....Maybe we take off from the ground for fun too.....just thought I'd ask you kids....am up for other suggestions...Rog
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 AM
SGC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hey Crew

Rog,
Keep it Simple and Cheap, say this yr a SureShark and surestart, next yr a DNU and SS , Skydrill + SS etc,etc etc. , if the kit is simple and cheap your more likely to get more joining in.
Stewart
Plus , those kits support guys here who have/do actively support 1/2a models.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:14 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: SGC

Rog,
Keep it Simple and Cheap, say this yr a SureShark and surestart, next yr a DNU and SS , Skydrill + SS etc,etc etc. , if the kit is simple and cheap your more likely to get more joining in.
Stewart
Plus , those kits support guys here who have/do actively support 1/2a models.
Thats fine Stewart , appreciate the input , but the point is to get away from the surestart...the models are Ok, mine was just a suggestion,,I can build what ever everyone wants , have plans for the DNU from Patrick too....and there's not that many of us, like some clubs have trainer racing, or Texan races, or four star , there's a bunch of different ones, just keep the playing field level, it doesnt even have to be the fastest, it could be we all use a 1 oz tank and the last one down wins.....Rog
PS the Sureshark guru is my flyin bud Dave...
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 AM
rainedave

I kind of like the Ace Warbird series idea with an .074. The problem is, not everyone has an .074. Maybe FP/LA .10 or GP .07? Anyway, I like the idea of using the same engine, prop and fuel to level the field. Otherwise, it's just another Unlimited event.

David
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not everyone likes the .074 either.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:04 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If anyone is kitting the GLH, that would be a very good design for AP .061s.
The same scale warbirds with .10s or .15s would be popular. An 8x4 prop will keep the action to about 70 mph down wind.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:12 PM
Mr67Stang

How about Herr Cloud Rangers with OS .10 LA's

Seriously I do like rainedave's idea of using OS .10's because they run reliably and are easy to get.

PS: This May I will be in GA. for 6 weeks for a frigg'n class[:@]
Old 03-18-2008, 07:44 PM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

How about Herr Cloud Rangers with OS .10 LA's

Seriously I do like rainedave's idea of using OS .10's because they run reliably and are easy to get.

PS: This May I will be in GA. for 6 weeks for a frigg'n class[:@]
Actually I do have that setup and I'm ok with the .10LA/FP...dont know how a .10 would be on a simple series?...Rog
Old 03-18-2008, 08:45 PM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

I second either using a Sure Start with and .049 racer that everyone agrees with (Sure Shark, Simple Series, etc.) or the O.S. .10LA / FP for the reason they are easy to find, reasonable in price, and a great running engine. Given the experience and resources of the group (design skills and laser cutting accessibility) we should also keep the "kit" / plan prices very reasonable.

Looking forward to more racing and hangar talk...

Brian
Old 03-18-2008, 08:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PS: This May I will be in GA. for 6 weeks for a frigg'n class
There are classes for that??![X(]

I am with Brian. With a great laser kit like the SS we can all have the same bird. Then we all agree on an engine either the Sure Start or go buy a .10 I think I can tolerate that. I won't get one built by May tho. Maybe the fall outing.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 PM
Toad

I would love to see a race like this, same plane/engine. then have everybody post their time racing a predetermined course.
Then the winner would be the guy closest to the AVERAGE time of all posts. Like the Perky event in c/l
It would be self monitored actually cause the fast guy wont win, neither will the slowest guy.
A race that all can participate in across the country. The times posted would not be online for all to view untill award day.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 PM
rainedave

I can enlarge the SS a little for the LA .15 and get a run of short kits ready. For this event I'll gladly sell them at cost.

David
Old 03-19-2008, 07:15 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: vicman

I am with Brian. With a great laser kit like the SS we can all have the same bird. Then we all agree on an engine either the Sure Start or go buy a .10 I think I can tolerate that. I won't get one built by May tho. Maybe the fall outing.
lol, it IS for the fall event...okay sounds like some ideas are coming together,,,I saw a SS Texan on the bay for like $12 now...I think the texan would be a good choice with the os la .10....but I am still looking for ideas and suggestions......Rog
Old 03-19-2008, 10:05 AM
flyinrog

Or possibly for not much more $, the Herr Extra ARF and an OS .15LA would be a good setup for us lazier builders...Rog
Old 03-19-2008, 10:28 AM
av8rsodt
My Feedback: (23)

Some additional thoughts...

The O.S. .10 LA/FP's are going to be easy to start / run. We will miss out on 2 guys trying to start an .049 reedie and getting at least one racer in the sky to race.

Maybe we could state in the rules you have to run around the table 2 times, jump 4 times, then go start your O.S. .10 so we don't miss out on some good entertainment?

Sure Shark for a .10/.15.... Cool.

Brian
Old 03-19-2008, 10:58 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: rainedave

I can enlarge the SS a little for the LA .15 and get a run of short kits ready. For this event I'll gladly sell them at cost.

David
when do they start shipping
Old 03-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Or possibly for not much more $, the Herr Extra ARF and an OS .15LA would be a good setup for us lazier builders...Rog
I can see it now. 3 purple and 2 teal Herr Extras round the north pylon and every pilot looks at eachother and asks, "Which ones mine?"

Can I use my OS .15 CV-A? Just kidding... I know the point is to keep costs low to encourage max participation
Old 03-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: vicman

Prep school for Sr. NCO's.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:16 AM
rainedave

ORIGINAL: Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: rainedave

David
when do they start shipping

I'd like to get some feedback on what people think the optimal wing area might be. If I enlarge it to 38" span, that makes a 7" chord for 266 sq." of area. That sounds about right to me, but others might want it even smaller.

David
Old 03-19-2008, 11:32 AM
Mr67Stang

I guess my only input would be for a bolt on wing this time. I found the first SS too small for me to adapt it easily for bolt on so I just set it up as intended for rubber bands... I hate rubber bands.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:58 PM
BSARGE

ORIGINAL: av8rsodt

Some additional thoughts...

The O.S. .10 LA/FP's are going to be easy to start / run. We will miss out on 2 guys trying to start an .049 reedie and getting at least one racer in the sky to race.

Maybe we could state in the rules you have to run around the table 2 times, jump 4 times, then go start your O.S. .10 so we don't miss out on some good entertainment?

Sure Shark for a .10/.15.... Cool.

Brian
One thing we used to do was have all the planes for the heat near each other with the prop off, then the pilots would all be about 20 feet away and at the same time would run to plane put the prop on then start and fly....it just added a little humor.

-Bill
Old 03-19-2008, 06:58 PM
Dan Vincent

Way back around 1978 or so I had an idea to start a Formula-10 class for pylon racing but QM was still popular and not too many were interested. Radio weight is much less now so it could be a very interesting concept. .10 sized engines are easy to handle, start well and are not as high strung as many of the the hot half-A engines.

I wanted to use popular plain bearing .10 and .11 sized engines as most were around .109 ci.
Interesting to me was that in Australia they included the .10 in 1/2A Pylon Racing but it went into hot BB engines. The OS .11 was one of the hottest available then.

Today I would suggest more than one engine starting with the OS .10 FP and its' clones, the Magnum and Thundertiger. Throw in the Supertigre X-11 and it could be a lot of fun.
The ST .11 came in plain bearing and single BB versions.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80507.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	908037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27569.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	908038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ns45838.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	908039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15389.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	908040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93443.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	908041  
Old 03-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Roger,

I think this is a great idea!!!!... Especially since I have a new OS .10 FSR sitting right here on the bench!! For my vote, I'd have to go with one of Dave's SureShark +10 designs.... and think it would be great to do. I've got the engine... Dave, when do you want the money for the kit???? As if I don't have enough to do with kits.....[8D]

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 03-20-2008, 05:07 AM
flyinrog

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

Roger,

I think this is a great idea!!!!... Especially since I have a new OS .10 FSR sitting right here on the bench!! For my vote, I'd have to go with one of Dave's SureShark +10 designs.... and think it would be great to do. I've got the engine... Dave, when do you want the money for the kit???? As if I don't have enough to do with kits.....[8D]

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft
I didnt know there was a .10FSR,,,,I dont have a problem with Dave's SS enlarged, but we need commitment for him to kit it up..Dan V. raised a good point about different engines,, I had a Magnum .15 that is ball bearing and really runs good...well it did before the last crash, now, not so sure..I know you can generally get smaller engines on the bay pretty cheap if you wanna take the chance...BSarge brought up the putting the prop on, I have heard of this too, but not from 20 feet, just the table your at..Stang we all know you hate rubberbands, but you might just have to curl up your toes, scratch your nails across the chalkboard and man it up a notch...Ok, we are still straying from the same plane, same engine, original idea,,,not that its cast in stone, but Toad also chimed in that this could be done across the country by time, too..So it wouldnt be a Crew thing, it would be a National (everybody here) thing and could probably be held on the same day everywhere....a .10 (ten) event if you will....we have 5 or so months to nail it down...Rog
Old 03-20-2008, 08:45 AM
rainedave

As soon as I get soon agreement on the size I'll draw up the cut file and send it to Alex. I suggested a 38" span with a chord of 7" for 266sq." of area. I'll draw the plans for a bolt-on wing, too.

DV, there are no doubt some very nice engines in the .09 to .12 range; I've been picking up a few myself. But, I really like the idea of everyone using the same engine. Although, I think both the FP's and LA's should be allowed (and the FSR).

David
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33578.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	908414  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.