Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Pica 1/12 scale electric conversion

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Pica 1/12 scale electric conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM
wmichqb14

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pica 1/12 scale electric conversion

I bought three of the Pica 1/12 scale combat planes 5 or so years ago and have only finished 1 of them with a .25 glow engine, I tried the .15 as recommended but there wasn''t enough umph at my elevation (4600) to get it off the ground. The .25 provides plenty of power.

I am ready to finish the second one and would like to get some recommendations on what kind of LiPo electric setup I should go for. I have 0 experience in this arena. My LHS recommended the 25 size engine with a 60 amp ESC. I am running 5 servos (two JR 331 and three cirrus CS-30''s) and the above motor configuration. (would change upon recommendation)

What battery setup should I use? I would like to use LiPo but as I mentioned above I am clueless about LiPo. Do I need the 11.1 V of a three cel? Do I need to use a four cel? Would I be ok with two 7.4 V 4000 mah wired in series?

I would appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 04-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Pica 1/12 scale electric conversion

I too would be interested to hear what answers you get to your question - but I''m curious about why you asked the question in this forum?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:31 PM
wmichqb14

pardon my ignorance, but why is this forum inappropriate?
Old 04-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, this particluar forum is for models powered by motors of less than .050 displacement, making the 1/12 scale Picas about 5 times too large in engine displacement for this forum....

In reality, folks in here discuss up to about .10 to .12 size models anyway.

Also, this is a glow forum and all the electric experts tend to hang out elsewhere.

But, I fly mostly electric and would be glad to offer an opinion.

An Eflite Power 25 would work, but it is designed to turn a much larger prop than you want, something like an 11/8.

Personally, I would try a Power 15 on 3 cells or even 4 cells with a smaller 10/6 prop. I think you will find that th Power 15 will actually deliver performance to match yout glow 25, even at your altitude. It will do well with a 10/6 prop.

The Power 15 has a higher RPM/volt rating and will thus turn a prop the size you need a little faster than the power 25.

Don't get too literal with the motor names...there is lots of overlaps in the motors that are usable on a given model.

A 60 amp esc is a little overkill, but not a terrible idea to have more ESC capacity than you need, as it will not work as hard and run cooler. A 40-45 Amp ESC is ok for either one.

4S ESCs cost a little more and tend to be a little larger. Also, they usually do not have a BEC built in, due to the high voltage than must be dropped to 5 or 6 volts for the radio. Some do have the better type of switching BEC and can handle the higher voltage.

3S packs are the most common on the size model you want to fly.

If you system will supply about 400 watts, these Pica warbirds will have ballistic performance.

You might want to repeat the question in the electric area, in the glow to electric conversion forums here or on R/C Groups...lots more opinions out there and many opinons will will be valid...lots of ways to make this model electric.