Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

pylon racer plans

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2019, 05:53 AM
Zonker40

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! A few years ago we had an active racing group racing electric planes with 200 sq in wing areas, 3 cell 1350 mah batteries, and small motors with 2200 kv. We were getting 105-110 mph on a 375' course. One race I timed had the leader doing laps at 6 1/2 seconds. Interest gradually died out, then I got a bunch of folks racing EF-1, while some others were doing sport quickie. Alas, all of that has now died out in my area. When I get a moment, I will post some pics and plans of our racers Our planes were around 42" spans and weighed 15-16 oz RTF.
Milt

Last edited by Zonker40; 01-17-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:15 AM
Zonker40

Default 1/2A Size Racing

Lancers 2 and 3

Lancer 3 before covering - wing is glued on

One of our main designs was the Lancer, designed by Kimberly Panos, who happened to dominate our E-200 racing. We started out with about 15 pilots and were having a ball. We specified the motor and battery, and 200 sq in wing area min, and let folks choose their props and plane designs. The Lancer was very successful. I built 4 or 5 of them. When our primary motor (TowerPro 2409-12T became unavailable, we went to 3 equivalent motors (Power up Zoom 400, Turnigy D2826-6 2200 KV, and RC Timer BC2826 2200KV) and most pilots used the APC 5.25 x 6.25 props. I experimented with Graupner 6.5 x 6.5 props which gave me more thrust off the start line, keeping me ahead of the pack, until the higher amperage draw started slowing me down, and Kimberly would slip past me about lap 7 <heavy sigh>. Anyway, we had loads of fun and high adrenaline rushes for 3-4 years, racing 9 months of the year from March to early Nov. Attached are some pics, plus a plans drawing .pdf which you could print or enlarge to any size you would like. It builds pretty fast and is quite strong. I will also include some root and tip templates which you would have to play with to get the right sizes, as we used foam wings (blue foam from Home Depot) which were sheeted with 1/16' balsa to start with, although some folks added some CF strips under the balsa and went to 1/32" sheeting. Most folks used surfacing resin and weighted surfaces to apply the balsa skins, but I finally went to vacuum bagging which really worked great. Like I said in the last post, we got up to 105-110 mph and couldn't fly straight for more than 2 seconds without losing sight of the plane. I usually counted 1 1/2 seconds between pylon 3 and 1 before initiating my turn. I have gotten too old to do this anymore (turned 75 last month), but the memories get the juices going again. Fair skies to you1
Milt
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lancer-C Plans.pdf (293.4 KB, 1180 views)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:41 PM
Pond Skipper

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you Milt for sharing I have been to the Utah site to view pics / plans and noted Kim's good efforts for the club.
I know one club member Mel / Melvin who was part of the 1/2A movement before it switch over to electric.

Taking those plans I modified it a bit to work better with 1/2A - note the tail moment was a bit short for the size
tail feathers keeping the feathers the same size I elongated moment arm. Will help the plane sit solid in the
air with less elevator throw and help generate acceleration out of the turns into a steady locked in straight away.
Anytime the plane is pitching it's scrubbing off speed.

Last edited by Pond Skipper; 01-18-2019 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 PM
Zonker40

Interesting on the tail moment increase. I never had any problem in the turns - rock solid. My elevator movement was something around 3/32” - very small compared to most other planes. My EF-1’s also had small control movements. I did build one in canard configuration, but lost it on the test flight. I was flying it In Feb with a gray overcast and snow on the ground. With a white paint scheme, it simply disappeared to my eyesight about 2 seconds after launch. I could hear it, but could not see it. I finally pulled back the throttle and put in full up. A farmer found the pieces back by his barn (I knew about where it might have gone down, and distributed some flyers) and I got the pieces back. Stupid me, I wasn’t expecting that - hindsight told me I should have pulled a loop right off to get a top view of the wings, throttled back, and got it back in sight. It is on my wish list to build another, but since we are not racing anymore, it is low on the list
Milt
Mel Rogers is a very good machinist and engine guy. He has moved to the south of us now for a new job
Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 PM
Pond Skipper

- help generate acceleration out of the turns into a steady locked in straight away.
Anytime the plane is pitching it's scrubbing off speed. Shorter the tail moment the
more pitchy to the extreme of short is a combat wing.

Sorry to hear you lost your plane to bad viz. I have built all white with black lettering / numbers 4 times.
1 was 96" span another 82" / the other two smaller spans 1 was 34" other was 28" and those two did cause visual issues.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:32 PM
GUS THE I.A.

The one that I remember is called CAM RACER. It was in M.A.N. in 1977, if I remember correctly. It is a neat little plane. With today's new construction materials, I believe that it could be a fantastic performer. Mine was, with conventional materials and processes.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:42 PM
Pond Skipper

Micro CAM Racer with Cox TD .010 Test Flights

From Tee Bee
Published on May 9, 2018

A very small pylon racer scaled down to fit the size of the tiny TD .010 engine. It was built and initially flown by a man in Greece.
He recently shipped it all the way to Texas. I've retrofitted it with 2.4Ghz radio gear and am currently flight testing it.
The model is beautifully constructed!
Old 02-25-2019, 10:29 AM
GREG DOE

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

The little bird seems to have stood the test of time! The little girl in the construction article will be 50 this year!
Old 02-27-2019, 08:49 AM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I have the plans and built and raced one when the plans came out. I'm getting old!
Old 02-27-2019, 10:30 PM
GREG DOE

Randy, I made it to 74 today!
Old 02-28-2019, 04:09 PM
yankee samurai
My Feedback: (175)

I'll be 67 in May. Happy birthday, you've made some great contributions to Pylon Racing.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:47 PM
Zonker40

Hi Randy and Greg: I turned 75 in December, and for some strange reason I am building a new Lancer. I guess my buddy talked me into it by building a wing for me with a different airfoil - used blue foam for the cores, and vacuum bagged it with mylar covering. It is pretty light: 3.1 oz, at least until I put a little bit of paint on it to make it pretty. My buddy wants me to fly his new wing, so I caved. I still had two two Lancer fuselage kits from a laser cutter guy, so I had most of the parts already. I still had to go through my motor parts stuff and also make an elevator control horn I cut out of an old circuit board. I will post some pictures later on. Don't know if you guys are still building small racers; I guess it is Pond Skipper who is still flying these fast things. I think I will throttle down once I get it in the air. These electric Lancers do around 105-110 mph with a good battery. -- Milt
Old 02-28-2019, 08:57 PM
Pond Skipper

Yes still flying fast I am 55 so plan to fly fast while the eyes allow it. Easy enough with throttle control, can always
back off till it is lined up for a fast pass in front of me down wind.
The TD .010 planes are the hardest for me to monitor as there is no throttle control. I do have a throttle sleeve
and flew a 3 ch version up to 96 mph but to really go fast smaller servos and battery used to allow a very small plane.
3 speed projects with that displacement thus far. The best one has hit 130.4 mph brief apex speed right in front of me
going down wind. The average speeds into the wind drops 20 mph. You can prop for more thrust but scrubs off the
top end. 3x3 carbon props have been tested with good speed into the wind and pure vertical. 2.56x4N prop has
proven to be the best for top speed given the airframe used. This is a far cry from the stock prop 3x1.25.
The TD .020 is a different animal I have hit 37,000 rpm with it needs 4in pitch to move very fast but ideal prop
pitch is 5" the trick is prop dia. I have a plane ready to test this summer. It was built last summer and tested
3.38 x 4.5N prop / 29k unloaded to 122 mph down wind. That engine needs to do 30 -33k unloaded to hit the
it's best with good longevity. I don't mind abusing the engine but do want to keep the prop load enough not
to over rev the engine down wind. The TD .010 is best set to 38k the .049 is best kept to 30k. I have done
31.5k with a prop providing a good mix of thrust and speed runs into the wind like a freight train so speeds
seem more aggressive even though the top end down wind is not truly peaked out. For all out speed down
wind pass is relieved by a slower track back to the starting gate into the wind. In the later case it never slows
down so the heart rate stays up there the entire flight. So the battle is good speed and thrust not just top end.
.049 prop vary depending on the exhaust setup. 4.22 x 5.5N / 138 mph has proven well with muffler pressure.
I have a new design with a TD .05 / tuned pipe no idea what the best prop will be for that one. Will post a vid
when it happens.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:21 PM
GREG DOE

Randy & Milt, Thank you for the kind words.Tonight the wife and I went to Joe's Crab Shack for dinner, and then to the Ryman Theater to see Kacey Musgrave. I still build, and race a little. Currently finishing up a Jim Katz Swee' Pea EF-1.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:46 PM
Pond Skipper

Congrats on your Birthday Greg and fun had!
I bought Kacey Musgraves CD about 5 mos. back she won 3 Grammy awards this year.
It has be a joy to see her progress.

High Horse Kacey Musgraves 2/27/19 Ryman Auditorium

Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 PM
Pond Skipper

Update this thread with a vid of the Nano X using the carbon looking shrink film / 143 mph best pass modified APC 4.3x5.5N