Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

pylon racer plans

Hi! Anyone has some plans of 1/2 a pylon planes to post?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: pylon racer plans

Hi WC....I don't have any drawings, but you could go to Toads RC site for some information. The pylon forum might have some help. The NMPRA might also have some links. I fly GLHs in a restricted class of .061 racers, they were kitted by ACE RC long ago. There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.
    Don't look at the AMA competition guidelines for help or you will end up building something that looks like Noahs Ark.
    WHO GUNNA FEED MAW KEEEIDS..???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check through some of the older magazines from the 70's / 80's, you can find quite a few as many got the racing bug back then.

Also, one was called the "Pipsqueak", very small and fast, plans are on the web. The Ace kit for the Upstart could be made into a fast little 1/2a. Others I can remember are Quick Trick, Quicksilver, Hornet, Sonic Booms, Tee Dee Special, Miss Cosmic Wind, and this is just a start.

The old mags are what to look into, that would keep you going for quite some time.
    1/2a flyer !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

<snip>.......There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.
    There are a bunch from the 70's and 80's. You may not have the mags that Remby suggested, but the RCM Plans catalog is available online and you can search thru fairly quickly.

Just noted that the RCM plans have increased by $2.00 over the listed price.

www.rcmmagazine.com
    the "other" andrew
    I'm not older than dirt, but I can remember when it was patent pending

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dave Fritzke still has the GLH plans on his web site:

http://my.pclink.com/~dfritzke/

Hogflyer
    President and Flight Training Coordinator - Wichita Radio Control Club - AMA Intro Pilot
    www.wichitaradiocontrolclub.org AMA 47317
    Sig Brotherhood #85
    Sig Kadet Brotherhood # 139

Check out RCM Plans for one call "The Undertaker",
    Mike Gordon AMA 320990
    RC Pylon Racing, the ultimate thrill, when sex and drugs just taint enough!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have the plans for the Taperwing pylon racer by John Hunton that CP mentioned (from MA plans). Can't wait to see what it can do...

Brian

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RCM plans still has the "Undertaker", which was published in the Mar 83 issue of RCM.  It takes awhile to build because the wing is double tapered, but it is fast and aerodynamic.  I still have the original one which was used for the photos in the magazine article.

Milt Sanders
    AMA 4004

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Hi WC....I don't have any drawings, but you could go to Toads RC site for some information. The pylon forum might have some help. The NMPRA might also have some links. I fly GLHs in a restricted class of .061 racers, they were kitted by ACE RC long ago. There might be 1/2A racer plans available at the RCM plans catalog. The Taperwing is a good design.
    Don't look at the AMA competition guidelines for help or you will end up building something that looks like Noahs Ark.
    The excellent "Toads RC" site seems to be off the air []

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a snapshot of the Taperwing, GLH, Sump'n Else, and Dick Ohm Special.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv66116.gif 
Views:	634 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	1582906   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ni24296.gif 
Views:	842 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	1582908   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21532.jpg 
Views:	1190 
Size:	212.9 KB 
ID:	1582909  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Back in the 1970's. a number of us used to fly all out .049 plylon racers that looked a lot like the first plan the "Taperwing" above. But most of us opted for more of a thin contant chord wing with a flat bottom airfoil. You know we never really came up with any plans per se back then for these planes. I think they were too easy to build for anything to have thought about it much. I remember one day several of us got together at one guy's house, who had a band saw, and we made up a big pile of wing ribs, and parts and had at it with the superglue. We would lay out some 1/16" sheeting and super glue a few ribs down, then super glue the top sheeting in place. There would be a 1/8" square stick on the front. We would run one aileron. You could build one and have it sanded in less than a hour. we would use a bottom hatch and superglue the wing onto the fuselage. The wing span was 20 to 24 inches depending on your skills. Around 100 to 150 square inches of wing area. We would run crankcase pressure, use one of the super fine threaded racing needle valves on the Cox Tee Dee engine. the cool streamlined motor mount was a required item. we would custom cut and sand our propellers. The fuel tank had a fixed fuel pickup, to kill the engine, you fly inverted for a few seconds. Generally at the time, the RC systems were not all that small or lightweight. So when the engine quit, the glide ratio was more like a Space shuttle. You tended to come in hot and skid along the ground a ways. we would put a hardwood skid on the bottom to keep the wear down.

Club Saito #722, Sig Kadet Brotherhood #80, GlowHead Brotherhood #14,
    AMA # 928076

Pilot's Little Toni
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oj27324.jpg 
Views:	212 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1583239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx67574.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	1583240   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yw68786.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	1583241  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Contains only the finest ingredients, Methanol, Castor Oil and Nitromethane