Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Away for 3.5 weeks

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Away for 3.5 weeks

I'm off on my first European holiday starting tomorrow for 3 1/2 weeks. As the only moderator in this forum I thought I'd let you guys know. If you see anything that needs dealing with use the "report this thread" to bring it to the attention of the CM's that'll jump in for me while I'm away. Most important of all is to make sure CP doesn't run amok....

The trip calls for 2 days in London fighting the jet lag, then 3 days in Paris waiting on the rest of the gang showing up. During this time I will be taking in the French Air and Space museum at Le Bourget as what may well be my one and only airplane related visit. From there the group of roughly a dozen of us is onto a house barge and bicycle trip through the Loire valley for a week. Then it's me and my bicycle on a train back to London and connect to Dundee, Scotland to see the area where my father grew up as a kid. And a couple of scotch tours is definetly on the list.

So that's it for me and my boring life. Enjoy your holiday out from under my iron heel and do try not to burn the place down....
Old 04-26-2008, 12:28 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Away for 3.5 weeks

Bruce, have a great time and I'll be on my best behavior as long as no one starts any QueenBee, TT.07 or CS .061 threads.
Old 04-26-2008, 02:35 PM
digital_trucker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holiday rooo-ooooo-aaaa-ddddd!!!

Don't let the video camera get away from you, remember what happened to Chevy Chase!
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 PM
BMatthews

I wonder if any of you has reported this as an off topic thread yet....
Old 04-26-2008, 06:26 PM
digital_trucker

Yes Dad...geez, we can't NEVER have any fun [&o]
Old 04-26-2008, 07:00 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/phot...spx?pc=5061609

While we are off topic I will take the opportunity to show you my latest ride. [)]
Old 04-27-2008, 12:24 AM
BMatthews

Sweet looking ride. I wish I could bend that way and still breath well enough to ride. Well, at least well enough to ride to need to bend like that in the first place...

The steed of choice for this trip is an old early 90's vintage Canondale touring bike. She's a trooper though. Been a faithful commuter for around 9 or 10 years now.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:49 PM
flying poodle

Are those toe-straps???! Get some clipless man! You will learn how to fall at stop signs in France, and do it with American Style!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:06 PM
vicman

LOL, FP!
That's me on the bike. I just got started doing Triathlons this year after a 20 year break. My wife got kinda wierd when I told her I needed some shoes to go with the Look pedals that came with the bike. So for now I am making do with what I have.
My take on it is I can build two 424 racing planes for what I can spend on shoes. I like racing planes a whole lot better.
Even with those shoes I came in 78 out of 287. [)]
Old 04-28-2008, 11:59 PM
flying poodle

Good luck with the triathlons. My good friend at work has recently transitioned to triathlons from just cycle racing. I have been lucky enough to receive some of his old "knock-offs" for cheap. He used to buy a new $5,000 bike each year, mostly paid by his team sponsor of course. I've got the crank scars on my calves to prove that I know how to fall properly.

I do not understand endurance athletes. My friend is about 6', maybe 140lbs after a hearty beer an pizza night, and his resting heart rate is about 30. I am 6'4", 270lbs, and even when I was playing ball in college my resting heart rate was only mid 40's.

BTW: I may be willing to trade petals. I ride very little and would like to be able to wear normal shoes, as my bike shoes are very uncomfortable. I don't remember the brand but will check if you are interested. I could also send you some lightly used bike shoes, but I don't think you wear size 15.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 AM
vicman

Great scott man! Your screen name should change to Sasquatch!

Thanks for the offer. I have Look Racing pedals but no shoes.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:07 AM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Vic,

If you turn that bike upside down and crank the pedals by hand you can use the rear tire to start R/C car engines. No need to thank me, I just wanted to make your life a little fuller.

And now for something completely different.

(Hey youse-all, is that @#$%&*ing moderator gone yet?)

Good let's talk some real @#$%&*ing trash. Who shall we @%%^en crucify first? How 'bout them @#$$&*ty___________ (fill in the blank) engines? They are made in &^$$# Ch(!^@ by blindfolded &&^%%$ers I think.

P.S. Dear $+&$, I'm gonna %#$ your $$@ on the 3rd! Woo hoo!

Anybody want to make #%^#@ of it? Just step forward and knock this 6x3 APC prop off my %^$$& shoulder! Then $%&%en duck.

Gee, that was fun. I feel *&%#ing free at last!
Old 04-29-2008, 10:10 AM
vicman

Do you eat with those fingers??[sm=what_smile.gif]
Old 04-29-2008, 01:02 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: vicman

LOL, FP!
That's me on the bike. I just got started doing Triathlons this year after a 20 year break. My wife got kinda wierd when I told her I needed some shoes to go with the Look pedals that came with the bike. So for now I am making do with what I have.
My take on it is I can build two 424 racing planes for what I can spend on shoes. I like racing planes a whole lot better.
Even with those shoes I came in 78 out of 287. [)]
Vic, who'd a thought you like cycling? I'm back riding after a 10 year break. Here's the bike I bought last summer.

I'm not on it, but I can assure you that is has proper pedals, clipless, and that I have appropriate shoes for it. I'm hoping to work my miles up this year to be able to do a few centuries and one or two of the long mountain rides this year. I have to build lots of base miles and shed a pound or two first...

PS. You really need to get more appropriate shoes!
Old 04-29-2008, 01:13 PM
vicman

Whew!
I thought when I saw you posting in here you were gonna mod Raymond back to birth for his outburst! (why didn't you? He deserves it!)

Why is everyone bustin on me over the pedals? It made my transition super fast. I just jump off and start my run, no messin around.
I will get some shoes soon enough. Most likely not before my next race (June 7 in Baden NC)

Chuck, did you happen to see the race report for T-6 and Q25 from this weekend? [8D]

You have a very nice bike! My neighbor has the same one. We have done several rides togeather and he really likes it. (yeah, he has the right pedals and shoes too)[&o]
Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
piper_chuck

Nope, didn't see the race results. I haven't paid much attention to racing since I stopped trying to hang with the A groups about 12 years ago. I've got a race on the same weekend in June as you, but it's R/C boats in Maryland.

The reason for the shoe comments is that the stiff sole of a proper cycling shoe combined with locking your foot to the pedal will greatly improve your ability to spin.
Old 04-29-2008, 05:33 PM
Raymond LeFlyr
My Feedback: (2)

In case youse-all missed it on the National News, Vic got first place in the T6 and Q25 races. He may not wear shoes that are approved by cyclists everywhere, and his ability to speak in different languages is sometimes confusing, but obviously his piloting and plane setup skills are not lacking.

However, not wanting to miss an opportunity to say something dreadful about a person since I'm not being monitored a word or two concerning his not attending Rog's event this weekend is required - pfthhhht!
Old 04-29-2008, 08:30 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Holy Cro-molly! Other Bike riders!
I used to race citizen class,
Never won much, but never embarrassed myself.
Yes, all my racing bikes have toe clips, but someday I
hope to have some spiffy STI shifters on one of em!
Dave
Old 04-29-2008, 08:52 PM
vicman

I know, I know you guys are not the first to roast me on the shoe thing. A guy explained it to me like this. Cycling in flexible shoes is like running in workboots. I just don't want to cramp the pylon budget right yet. The bike was enough. Cannondale, full Ultegra, and Cane Creek wheels. I could have several 428 planes for that money. Shoot maybe even a Q40. Shoes will come.
My swim is the event that saves me all around, who knew fat guys could swim?? I finished 36 out of 287. I still have a few pounds to loose before I become competitive at all. Shoes aint gonna make me that much faster.

Thanks for the kind words there Raymond. Enjoy the trophy this time out cause you know where it will be moving to in the fall.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: vicman
My swim is the event that saves me all around, who knew fat guys could swim??
If Shamu can do it!

Shoes aint gonna make me that much faster.
I used to think that too. [)] There really is a big difference, not just in speed, but in foot and leg fatigue.

Good job on the flying and congrats for getting back into triathlons.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:08 PM
piper_chuck

ORIGINAL: fritzke

Holy Cro-molly! Other Bike riders!
I used to race citizen class,
Never won much, but never embarrassed myself.
Yes, all my racing bikes have toe clips, but someday I
hope to have some spiffy STI shifters on one of em!
Dave
I finally upgraded to STI last year when I got back into riding. My downtube shifter bike is now permanently assigned to being hooked up to the trainer up in the bonus room.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:20 PM
flying poodle

I am surprised nobody has brought up the motorcycles, and the beer making (and/or drinking), and the machining, or the myriad of other eclectic hobbies the guys of the 1/2a forum seem to share. Please tell me I am the only one growing fruit! (currently around 350 trees and 150 vines)
Old 04-29-2008, 09:32 PM
vicman

I am surprised nobody has brought up the motorcycles, and the beer making (and/or drinking), and the machining,
Pretty much the tri fecta on me there! LOL
You forgot the race cars, techincal backpacking, waterfall surfing, rocket cars, and most important Father and Husband.
I have two peach trees, a muskedine vine, some blueberry bushes, and a 5gallon bucket worth of walnuts planted all over. Is that anything?

Raymond has a balsa tree! How cool is that?

Chuck, my wife said I looked like Nacho Libre in all that lycra.[sm=stupid.gif]
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

My Dad (a model builder who got me interested when I was a wee lad)
leases land and runs a vineyard in Schafer Minnesota. He is more of a breeder than producer and has
bred a version of the regional wild grape (vitus riparia) that makes darn good wine.
It only took him 30 years to do that!
Dave
http://www.northernvineyards.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitis_riparia
Old 04-30-2008, 08:02 AM
vicman

My neighbor makes wine from the local vines. The kids and I just eat them. Oh yeah I also have a few wild perssimon trees! I saved the seeds and hopefully will have some more growing around soon. Kind of a scraggely tree. The get cut down too often without people knowing what they are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.