Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

0.49 Hand adjsutable throttle

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

0.49 Hand adjsutable throttle

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 03:31 PM
maaaarius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 0.49 Hand adjsutable throttle

Has anyone tried one of these? http://tinyurl.com/5m79m7
Are they any good? If so, they should be possible to use with a servo...
Old 05-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: 0.49 Hand adjsutable throttle

I haven't tried them myself but it seems a bit expensive for what you get. A surestart engine goes for less than that....

The fit agains the cylinder might not be good enough either to really slow it down. It is amasing how little it takes for the engine to keep running (I've tried a few homemade ones) and usually the throttle rings come with a mated cylinder?
Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is that without a mating cylinder, you must try to find one that fits your throttle ring.
Best to buy both together.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:22 PM
Yuu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the U. S. we have 1/2" copper water pipe, and there is a thread here on making one. I made two, one for TD and one for the 290 product engine, and both work fine. Hack saw, file, solder on an arm for the servo to attach to. Many of the old Randy Randolph airplane designs used the commercially available 'throttle rings', but those days are gone. It must be an almost snug fit to the cylinder, and my cylinders are all different diameters. Best to make your own, I would think.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:12 PM
lildiesel

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Somewhere in the Laumer mega thread (which should be stickied) there's post with a diagram of an adjustable throttle ring he used for a C/L B-17 with four .049s. Simple thing, much like the sheet brass and 2/56 bolt and nut C-clamp like affair the guys at the LHS showed me how to make to tame my Pee Wee .020s for backyard C/L fun and football field FF.